Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum

Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum (https://volvoforums.com/forum/)
-   Volvo S80 (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-s80-18/)
-   -   my goodness gracious!.!.!.! (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-s80-18/my-goodness-gracious-14093/)

gordon368 10-01-2007 06:55 PM

my goodness gracious!.!.!.!

Well started off the day with a simple bulb position light problem, replaced all the bulbs, and to my avail the right tailight(all of it) does not work, but the left tail light does....any ideas on this? fuses look good!..

Just about 9 hours later, before getting home today, I get the infamous "Transmission Service Urgent", its shifting gears at about 3500 rpms, and making a clunky shftlike its ready to drop something.........car shakes tooo.... as if its gonna go..... car has 78,500 miles on it....

My question is, does this sound like the transmission is going to be replaced, or program to download it to fix this?

Also when the A/C is on, its will making a hissing sound about every 30-45 seconds, which lasts for about 5 seconds.....

thanks ahead of time

o... Will the car have let me make it to school? take the free way at 60mph...

diehardgator1 10-01-2007 07:05 PM

RE: my goodness gracious!.!.!.!

MyAC does the same Sounds like a vacaum leak but not sure

tech 10-01-2007 09:36 PM

Im not sure if I would trust it for to long.

gordon368 10-01-2007 10:07 PM

Tech, whats the chance it needs to be replaced versus a programming issue?

JPN 10-02-2007 07:20 AM

Hi Gordon,

I just checked the recalls for all S40s and did not find anything related to the gearbox on S40s. I have a feeling that one of the small hydraulic passages may have clogged with foreign material. As Tech says, the gearbox may rest in peace soon, but before it happens, I would first try, even though I know it probably wouldn't help, the following:

1. Pull codes from the transmission & engine ECU (may have to be done at the dealer, and they probably want $100+ just to give you the code & trouble description, then say "$3,000 for a new one":().

2. Check the colour, smell & fluid level on the transmission fluid.

3. Flush with fresh, specified transmission fluid anyway. If the gearbox changes its mind on the positive side, great. If not, you only would lose $80 or so (could be more or less, I would try out the self-flushing kit & synthetic fluid that meets the factory specs-should be in the owner's manual). If there is a filter for the fluid, replace it of course (the 850s do not have one).

4. Clean ALL electrical connectors attached onto the gearbox, as well as removing the transmission ECU & spray cleaning the connectors with contact cleaner-do not remove the ECU until after you have waited for 15 minutes or so, after removing the negative battery cable or the ECU may be damaged.

As to the hissing A/C, it is probably of no concern.

As to the rear light problem, you'll need a diagram to trouble shoot.

In case when the gearbox goes out of control, hit the shifter into "N", you do not have to press the button when moving from "D" to "N".

I wish I could help you better.

JPN

gordon368 10-02-2007 01:01 PM

you've more than helped me enough, Im just gonna go pull codes, post em here and see what we can do then...

As for the diagram, meaning I will have to trace the tail light wire, to where ever the wiring goes to in the car? rofl... where would that be or end up....

I'll decide after the codes are read, wheatherto do the trans flush or not....

Who's betting that I need a new transmission rofl! ( I know thats all I am thinking) [:o][&o][:o][&o][:@][:o][&o][:@][:o][&o][X(]:([&:]

gordon368 10-02-2007 05:23 PM

well driving home today, the transmission message went away.. So does this mean that my transmission probably isnt serious(meaning I dont need a replacement)? Could it be

something less minor maybe? AUTOZONE REFUSED TO PULL CODES rofl, because the Check Engine Light wasnt one!

tech 10-02-2007 06:25 PM

A software download might help it.
I haven't seen any updates for software in about 1 year.
I really don't have access to them anymore either.
So there might be one for it.

JPN 10-03-2007 11:19 AM

ORIGINAL: gordon368

well driving home today, the transmission message went away.. So does this mean that my transmission probably isn't serious(meaning I don't need a replacement)? Could it be

something less minor maybe? AUTOZONE REFUSED TO PULL CODES rofl, because the Check Engine Light wasn't one!
Did you notice any drivability problems? If the transmission behaved, I believe the problem is probably within the electronic control system, not the transmission itself.

I would give up $100+ for a dealer and have the transmission diagnosed. When you do this, be sure to talk & act like you know very well what you're talking about, and just tell them to retrieve the codes from the tranny ECU, as well as print-out from the Volvo diagnostic equipment, with the trouble description on it. I personally feel that a $100+ is a well spent money before you decide on swap.

Let us know what you want to do.

JPN

JPN 10-03-2007 09:42 PM

As to the rear lamp assy, a connector at the assy might have been disconnected accidentally. Double check on it. If not, remove the bulbs, clean all electrical contacts with contact cleaner spray and put them back to see if the problem disappears. If they were working before you replaced the bulbs, most likely the problem is at the lamp assembly so you wouldn't have to trace the wire.

Let us know the updates.

JPN

gordon368 10-04-2007 12:16 PM

I got one of those devices that when you touch the fuse it lights up, and i found out that the fuse that was blown was in the front of the car, all i did was check the back thinking thats where the fuse problem was, Turned out to be the red fuse in the front, that problem was solved and I also replaced close to 7 bulbs, 4 on one side and 3 on the other... weird.. rofl...

as for the transmission, the weird thing was I was going down hill that was turny, and when I came to a point there was additionaly dip that kept speeding through. Well, the car shifted at the moment that I went into the dip, and I think that messed up the shifting of the car? causing the transmission message to come....

Its still going to volvo on monday just case....

Have been drivin the car rough, and its running solid now, so i dont know rofl...

1999S80T6 10-05-2007 09:19 AM

ORIGINAL: diehardgator1

MyAC does the same Sounds like a vacaum leak but not sure
My AC does that hissing noise too.

What is the reason? Is it normal?

- 1999s80t6

gordon368 10-08-2007 08:30 PM

got my car back from Volvo Today, and it turned out that the transmission had "Jarred", meaning that I hit something with my wheel hard enough to make the engine to cause the message to come up -> apparently they had found my rim to be bent and think thats how it was caused according to the code......i dont think thats the case as to why my rim is bent but ok rofl...

They made a few adjustments tothe transmission and 142.95$ was my total. They actually had to call volvo head quarters and ask what to do. They didnt even put the codes on the paper work..

Volvocars 10-19-2007 11:33 PM

Mmm dubious... Liketaking yourold parts with you; its always a good idea to ask for a hardcopy of any codes printed from your car.

gordon368 10-20-2007 05:31 AM

i think its comming to a point, that any one of these days the messsge is going to ocme on, just because the gears are sticking more and more i notice.....

Just a waiting game with it I think.... Does anyone know if the volvo technician would check the trans fluid when the codes for a transmision come up?

tech 10-20-2007 09:48 AM

IMO that should be a think to check when inspecting/fault tracing transmisson codes.
Low or overfilled ATF could throw and code as well.