Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum

Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum (https://volvoforums.com/forum/)
-   Volvo S80 (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-s80-18/)
-   -   My surging issue returns!! (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-s80-18/my-surging-issue-returns-15540/)

T6 4 me 12-01-2007 07:35 AM

My surging issue returns!!

I have been trying to nail this down for a while on my car. So far I have put in new plugs, air filter and turbo control valve and the problem persists. It feels like the car is misfiring slightly, or maybe the ETM is adjusting or something. The best way for me to exemplify it acting up is putting it in manual mode and accelerating very slowly in 1. Once it hits 2500 rpm, the revs will bounce around even though I am keeping my foot steady on the pedal. Another funny sympton is if I shut it off and restart it like 5 min later, the problem may disappear until I shut it off again and then it comes back.

I have taken it to the dealer and they drove it, of course the said it ran fine and they couldn't get it to act up and charged me $115 bucks! They also found no codes stored in it at all.

I always run premium fuel, synthetic oil and I take good care of the car, but this little problem is really frustrating me!! I keep thinking it is the ETM, but maybe I am missing something?

tech 12-01-2007 08:51 AM

RE: My surging issue returns!!

I would make sure it is acting up and get the service manager to ride with you and show him what it is doing.

veso_ht 12-02-2007 10:06 PM

mine does the exact same thing, but it is much worst when the car is cold. could it have to do w/oxygen sensors?

team 12-03-2007 06:32 AM

have you cleaned the mass air meter wire lately?

T6 4 me 12-03-2007 06:51 AM

Mine is actually better when it is cold, it gets worse once it warms up.

No I haven't cleaned the MAF, I was thinking about it though. The car has 130000 kms on it and it was replaced at 70000 kms according to the service records. I think I will give it a shot, it can't hurt?

team 12-03-2007 07:31 AM

i would definitelyclean itfor that many miles. Just make sure you use the mass air meter specific cleaner.Below is what i used. You will also need a security torx bit to pull out the element, i think it is a T-20 security.

http://us.st11.yimg.com/us.st.yimg.c..._1974_21322962

T6 4 me 12-03-2007 11:56 AM

OK I will give it a try, I am not sure where I can find the CRC stuff around here. I have electrical contact cleaner, but you say that may cause problems?

team 12-03-2007 12:10 PM

I am not sure if that will cause problems or not (it is probably the same stuff and will work fine). You are mainly trying to avoid something that will leave a residue on the wires and eat up any plastic on the body of the MAF sensor itself. I just got done cleaning mine because the check engine light kept coming on and settingtwo mass airflow sensor codes and I thought i would try this first. So far I have over 100 miles and mulitple key cycles since I reset the code and no light yet. I am going to hook upmy computer today and see where my long term fuel trims are at. Before I cleaned they MAF sensor they were at 21.9%.

TNS80T6 12-03-2007 12:56 PM

Had a similar issue and was told by the dealer it was the boost control module. That seems to have taken care of the problem.

T6 4 me 12-03-2007 02:39 PM

I have replaced the turbo control valve already and it didn't help.

The cleaner says it is safe on plastic and leaves no residue, so I am going to give it a shot. The previous owner of the car had it in dusty environments on many occasions so this could be the cause.

team 12-03-2007 08:15 PM

Well i checked my long term fuel trims today and in 100 miles they went from 21.9% to 18%. I will keep checking them periodically to hopefully see further improvement. Just thought I would put this information out there for everybody. I am just excited that 6 bucks worth of cleaner has prevented me from buying a MAF sensor and i am not seeing that annoying light as of now. And asa sidenote, my car did not display any driveability issues and the MAF sensor element looked fairly clean to the naked eye upon inspection. The check engine light is the only thing I ever experienced.

T6 4 me 12-05-2007 07:34 PM

I cleaned the MAF, no luck. I will try to get it to act up at the dealer and I will see how it goes.