Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum

Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum (https://volvoforums.com/forum/)
-   Volvo S80 (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-s80-18/)
-   -   My Volvo revs up and down (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-s80-18/my-volvo-revs-up-down-5822/)

cracker_j 05-15-2006 09:00 PM

My Volvo revs up and down

They funny thing is that i got my volvo recently and was asking everyone about the reliability of the car car and now it revs up and down at idle.

The car drives fine
no engine codes

but at idle it revs up and down.

I almost wants to stall than revs up

what could this and how much will it run me

any help is appriciated

tech 05-15-2006 09:03 PM

RE: My Volvo revs up and down

First will be throttle cleaning.

Next will be waiting for codes to come then take it to the Dealer and Hopefully it is throttle body codes and they wil download Software for Free.

master_pre 05-21-2006 09:46 PM

I agree with "tech", it sounds like the fuel system. A full fuel system flush would take care of the injectors.

jerryman 05-22-2006 02:15 PM

Hey Tech, what about high end? My surges just barely enough to notice, but seems ok on cruise control. I notice it most when driving around 60, on flat smooth roads. Then it surges up then down, only about 100 rpm difference. But being a commercial pilot. I notice little changes like this. Maybe I am going crasy and expect to much.
JC

JCVolvoS80 05-22-2006 11:31 PM

The surge could be your foot. On cruise, there isnt a chance of accidental depression of the gas pedal causing a higher rev. With your foot on the pedal, every little bump will cause a slight change. The thing with S80's is the gas is very sensitive past about 50 degrees. (the angle, not the temperature.) Once depressed, the gas can be very reactive. At high speeds, unless its a T6 or a souped up S80, slight depression will not cause noticeable acceleration, but just a difference in RPM's.

tech 05-23-2006 01:18 AM

They also Act Very funny with a Dirty thottle body.

jerryman 05-23-2006 02:30 PM

Thanks everyone.. One more question. Sorry, just trying to learn the car.

When I punch it, power comes on strong, then at about 3200, surges down a bit, then around 4000 picks back up. It's not a solid pull like my other cars, but they are not turbo. Is this normal, the turbos just speeding up to catch up? I known in the Crossfire Merc compressor, the power increases steady until maxed. Reminds me of flying a jet. You hit the power, get a huge surge, starts moving, then when the speed catches up to the power, slows down a bit, then kicks you in the butt.

Thanks again. Just want to make sure nothing is wrong.
JC

tech 05-23-2006 08:47 PM

The throttle body issue could be causing it as well. But not really normal.

Ebolavoodoo 06-10-2006 04:56 AM

My car did the exact same thing. I took it in for the FREE software update and it's fine now. You should have gotten a recall letter about software service update

jerryman 06-12-2006 06:53 PM

Tech when you say clean the throttle body, what do you mean? I know the ETM/ECM are connected right, or is the ETM all by itself? To clean it I guess you mean take it apart, off the intake manifold and "clean" why?

Thanks..

tech 06-12-2006 09:06 PM

Yes the ETM is seperate from the ECM
Yes you need to remove it and clean all the Carbon out of it. The carbon messes with the computer.

Hernan Alonso 02-19-2014 12:28 PM

Originally Posted by jerryman (Post 28188)
Thanks everyone.. One more question. Sorry, just trying to learn the car.

When I punch it, power comes on strong, then at about 3200, surges down a bit, then around 4000 picks back up. It's not a solid pull like my other cars, but they are not turbo. Is this normal, the turbos just speeding up to catch up? I known in the Crossfire Merc compressor, the power increases steady until maxed. Reminds me of flying a jet. You hit the power, get a huge surge, starts moving, then when the speed catches up to the power, slows down a bit, then kicks you in the butt.

Thanks again. Just want to make sure nothing is wrong.
JC

Did you find the problem about this, I am having this issue with my S60 (rev goes up down 1000 to 3000 rpm). It happens 1 or 2 time per month.

Thanks!!

NWPeterson 03-25-2014 09:28 AM

Also looking for an update- sounds like this is the same problem I am facing

stop_at_willoughby 03-26-2014 04:23 AM

Doing more research. Especially if you have a Turbo Volvo. PCV valves can get plugged. This is one thing that could be causing the issue.

As to why if you own a Turbo it is so important to change oil, and do all maintenance regularly. Just so many issues that can arise with Turbos.