Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum

Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum (https://volvoforums.com/forum/)
-   Volvo S80 (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-s80-18/)
-   -   Need help picking between 2 Volvo cars (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-s80-18/need-help-picking-between-2-volvo-cars-70971/)

Qdubbs 05-16-2013 12:53 AM

Need help picking between 2 Volvo cars

I am completely new to fixing or tuning a Volvo (or any car at that honestly), but I have decided to take a new hobby, so I need help deciding which car would be better, and maybe some pointers on how to tune the car to make it sportier/faster/customized.
1st Car- 2003 S80 2.9 with 117k mi. vs. 2nd Car-2004 S60 2.5T AWD with 100k (both are automatics)

I would be interested in putting aftermarket parts into my car slowly, as I am a college student, but overall which would be better for the long run?

Here are a few personal factors that I have to keep in mind: I live in Colorado so there is plenty of snow in the winter and I like to snowboard so I will be driving in rough conditions through the mountains, and I will be doing some commuting on hwy 3-4 days out of the week.

Any help would be greatly appreciated :D

akabond 05-16-2013 06:45 AM

go with 2004 one. but do you have pictures of both S80. if so then you should post them.

Qdubbs 05-16-2013 11:31 AM

2 Attachment(s)
The black one is the S80

hughrhodes 05-16-2013 01:37 PM

Originally Posted by Qdubbs (Post 353104)
I am completely new to fixing or tuning a Volvo (or any car at that honestly), but I have decided to take a new hobby, so I need help deciding which car would be better, and maybe some pointers on how to tune the car to make it sportier/faster/customized.
1st Car- 2003 S80 2.9 with 117k mi. vs. 2nd Car-2004 S60 2.5T AWD with 100k (both are automatics)

I would be interested in putting aftermarket parts into my car slowly, as I am a college student, but overall which would be better for the long run?

Here are a few personal factors that I have to keep in mind: I live in Colorado so there is plenty of snow in the winter and I like to snowboard so I will be driving in rough conditions through the mountains, and I will be doing some commuting on hwy 3-4 days out of the week.

Any help would be greatly appreciated :D

First of all, since you are a college student, I am going to be brutally honest.

Volvos are NOT cheap cars to work on by any stretch. They are wonderful cars when they are right but expensive when they are wrong.

First of all, any electrical issue with any module will most likely have to be taken care of at the dealer. Unless you have a local shop who has invested the large sum of money to be able to upload software or reprogram new electrical modules, you will have to use the dealer. This is rarely cheap and some shops won't touch a part they didn't install. Check your local dealer if this is an issue. The car may not be drivable to the dealer if you install a new electronic component that has not been programmed BTW.

Any used turbo car is an issue regardless of brand of car. Unless you are certain the previous owner did all of the oil changes on schedule, used synthetic oil, didn't drive the heck out of it and did the scheduled maintenance you are asking for serious expensive trouble down the road. Great car but you are taking a risk. Still, when the car is right it is fun to drive and way cooler than the S80.

The 2003 S80 has different issues most notable the front strut mounts, control arm bushings and the transmission. The suspension parts won't hurt you. The tranny seems to have all sorts of issues from software updates, improper shifting and the dreaded failure. If the tranny is in good shape and the suspension parts are good then it will probably be more reliable than the turbo car.

If you goal is to add aftermarket parts, look to spend money. You would be way better off getting an E36 manual BMW which has literally hundreds of companies that offer every conceivable part for whatever your thing is. Replacement parts for E39 BMWs are dirt cheap and there are always a couple being parted out on the local Craigslist. The aftermarket arena for Volvos isn't nearly as robust.

I have a 1999 S80 auto, a 1996 BMW 328i manual (daughter's car) and a 1997 BMW 540i auto. The 328 is cake to get parts for, reliable and easy to work on, the 540i has its own expensive gremlins lurking but parts are available and the S80 costs me buckets of money everytime I need a part. Whatever you do, don't buy an S80 with DSTC. I still believe it was an option that year and parts, which you will get to replace, are rare and wicked expensive.

torontos80t62000 05-23-2013 09:21 PM

i want to say s80 but your best bet is the s60 parts are cheep if your up to DIY you will be fine ..... you will get jammed if you choose the s80 but it is way more fun p.s i didnt say that it wasint me.. i dont no what im saying ---------