Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum

Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum (https://volvoforums.com/forum/)
-   Volvo S80 (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-s80-18/)
-   -   need help with sim card in my 04 s80 t6 (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-s80-18/need-help-sim-card-my-04-s80-t6-8794/)

apetro08 11-22-2006 01:54 PM

need help with sim card in my 04 s80 t6

Hi everyone, I'm new to this forum. I just bought a 2004 s80 t6 about a week ago and I was trying to get the car phone inside it to work. The problem I am having is that I can't find where the sim card goes. If somebody could give me instructions on as to how I can put my sim card in I'd really appreciate it. So far my car is leaps beyond the acura Rl and BMW 5 series I'd been looking at, not to mention it blows away my friends CLK Benz. I love this car but this phone thing is really frustrating becuase I must be an idiot that I can't find where the sim card goes haha. Any help would be great, thanks alot and I plan to stay on this forum for a while.

Coastal 11-22-2006 08:45 PM

RE: need help with sim card in my 04 s80 t6

Is there not a tray or slot in the dash for the card?

master_pre 11-22-2006 09:32 PM

Do they have any info in the owners manual? I don't recall anything in there about that, but it's always a good place to start.

You could get ahold of a dealership and talk to one of the techs there. They may be able to help you!

re100005 11-22-2006 10:09 PM

According to the "2004 Volvo On Call Plus Integrated Mobile Phone" Owner's Guide. The phone runs off a TDMA/AMPS (800/1900Mhz) for AT&T Wireless. Based on that it would not be a GSM phone and typically would not use a SIM card.

apetro08 11-23-2006 12:58 AM

that is what my manual says...i was unaware that this indicates that it is not a sim card.......this being the case , is there anyway to get my cell phone service usable through the tdma/amps that is setup through the car?

re100005 11-23-2006 11:29 AM

A TDMA/AMPS phone would have to be setup by actually programming the phone to connect with the cellular network. Kind of like the cell phones that don't use a SIM card. They would also be need to find or retrieve the phone's ESN. You can't easily move your cell phone number from phone to phone like you could with a GSM service using the SIM modules. TDMA and CDMA technology phones have to be programmed and if you want to move your service to a different phone, the phone has be programmed and ESN on record with the network has to be updated. (Some new CDMA phones are starting to use SIM modules too now). You may want to check with the cellular network providers to see who runs a TDMA/AMPS network. Not sure what coverage is like in the US, but TDMA coverage sucks big time in Canada. A Volvo dealer should also have some tips as to which network provider the phone is compatible with.

Had it been a GSM phone I would have been interested in that feature. Then the SIM card could be moved to a handheld phone when out of the car. I don't have info on it, but I wonder if the European models had a GSM phone (since GSM networks are king there).

apetro08 11-23-2006 06:46 PM

it may be a united states europe type of difference......if in fact it is an analog cell phone carrier would I be able to use a calling card, even if I didnt have a service provider...I get a dial tone now just when it dials an operator comes on and says I don't have service

re100005 11-23-2006 07:18 PM

The phone is capable of digital service (TDMA) the AMPS support is for analog. I don't think there is a way for you to use a calling card to make calls. The cellular network has no way of charging the air time to your calling card. You would need to activate the phone in order to make phone calls, local or LD. The only thing you can do with an inactive phone is call 911. You could always find out if they can put you on a "pay as you go" service. You would just have specific phone number for your car.

simon_mahoney 11-27-2006 10:28 AM

For information, but not really resolving your problem.

In Europe, Australia and most of SE Asia GSM is the most common.

Also the early S80's model (my Australian 99 T6SE) had a full size SIM card that was inserted into a "phone" in the boot. I believe in 2002/2003 the Dash small GSM was introduced. My friend in Bangkok has a 2003 S80 with a das SIM.