Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum

Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum (https://volvoforums.com/forum/)
-   Volvo S80 (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-s80-18/)
-   -   need help with vacuum line routing (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-s80-18/need-help-vacuum-line-routing-37236/)

dcm0123 12-15-2009 09:00 PM

need help with vacuum line routing

Recently purchased a 2000 S80 with twin turbo 6 cylinder engine. Car needs work. One of the problems is a disconnected vacuum line. I am not able to read the schematic on the hood and would appreciate if someone who has one of these vehicles can tell me where these 2 vacuum lines should go. I purchased All Data which did not have a vacuum schematic.

Mounted against the engine side of the air filter housing is an electrically operated solenoid valve with 3 small hoses. I believe this is called the Turbo Control Valve. The hose coming out of the bottom goes to a small metal pipe heading in back of the engine and is teed off to each turbo. The hose coming from the back end of the solenoid (side with the connector) goes to the large tube coming over the top of the engine which brings air from the turbo’s to the intercooler. The hose coming out the opposite end of the solenoid is not connected. Can someone please help by telling me where this goes?

There is a large black plastic vacuum operated valve which is between the front of the engine and the radiator next to the starter. It is connected between the large tube which feeds air from the filter housing to the turbocharger and the tube between the inter cooler and the throttle body. Coming out of the top of this valve is a small vacuum hose which connects directly to the bottom of the intake manifold. Can someone please confirm this is in the right place?

Appreciate your help.
Thank you Dennis

silencecom 12-16-2009 10:56 PM

hi. im realy glad u asked this question cause not only did u help ME figure out where MY hoses go but i also know where yours goes.. ok u know the big plastic tube going from the air box and then plitting off to the turbos? well right there after the big short accordian style hose is there is a cluster of hoses connected under there (its the cluster that has the BIG hose coming from the "blow off valve" that u were talking about between the radiator and the engine. well if u look at that cluster it looks like theres only the big hose and a little hose going into the bottom of that big plastic tube but if u look closer and feel around u will notice that there is a third port. that is where your hose goes.. as for the other one u were asking about i believe that one is right but i will check for sure when i can. hope that gets u started.

dcm0123 12-23-2009 08:51 PM

Looked for the hose barb next to the other two lines (exactly where you found yours) and could not find it so I took off the plastic air tube and found a 3/8" hole where the hose barb should have been. Bought a brass hose barb and glued it into the air tube. Car now runs fine.

Decided to pull off the cast aluminum intake manifold to replace all hoses and clean the throttle body. Had to disconnect the fuel line coupling. Found out the Isle brand plastic fuel line disconnect rings made to disconnect the quick couplings do not work on this model. I had to use one of the metal scissors type tools.

Also had a problem with poor starting and the tachometer needle jumping when cranking. Other posts stated this could be caused by electrical interference from the starter. Re-routed all sensor wires away from the starter and had a new positive battery cable made which I ran away from the engine and over the air tube coming from the air filter assembly. Starts fine and the tachometer needle jumping has been greatly reduced.

Thank you for your help.

dcm0123 12-23-2009 09:06 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I had someone take a picture of the vacuum schematic for the 2000 S80 2.8 liter T6 which I attached.