Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum

Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum (https://volvoforums.com/forum/)
-   Volvo S80 (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-s80-18/)
-   -   New Headlights (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-s80-18/new-headlights-4695/)

dcb07 02-26-2006 11:17 PM

New Headlights

If I want to buy the clear, bluer headlights for my S80, do I just have to buy replacement bulbs? And if so how many bulbs would I need for my headlights? It's not a necessity but i like the look of the clearer, "blue" lights and if it's not too pricy I'm interested in replacing them for the normal halogens that I have now.

tech 02-26-2006 11:24 PM

RE: New Headlights

Yes you can replace just the Bulbs. If you only want Blue Low beams then you will need 2 bulbs. If you want the High beams Blue as well then buy 4 bulbs.

They are H7 bulbs.

dcb07 02-27-2006 07:22 PM

What's the difference between the low beams and high beams and whats the price range we're talkin around?

reg 02-27-2006 07:57 PM

Sylvania makes the bulbs that you are inquiring about. They are called SilverStar and cost $30.00 a pair.
Reg
p.s. Walmart carries them.

ORIGINAL: dcb07

What's the difference between the low beams and high beams and whats the price range we're talkin around?

tech 02-27-2006 09:42 PM

High and low beams are the same bulbs.

gordon368 02-28-2006 01:05 AM

hey man,

Just got blue xenons - 8000k's - for my volvo s80 t6, they are made by mtec and they are soo blue looking, and they really accentuate the car. They are very pricy, they convert stock headlights to xenons, and THEY are BRIGHT BLUE, 100% street legal.... You can only get them on ebay.

They are called mtec, they make them in every bulb size and they are really easy to install. No error messages because they come with voltage balancers. They are advertised for an s60 but they work on an s80 no problem. I just installed them on Sunday and they look hot on my white volvo s80.

Here's the steep part, the price of the kit for the volvo s80 is 380$, they come with a 2 year warranty(have serial numbers on the ballasts), and they come in 4000k, 6000k, and 8000k. They are make higher k's but they wouldnt be street legal then. Once again they are advertised for the s60, but they work for the s80 2001 t6, they take the same h7 bulbs so it works fine.

They are guarenteed for like 3000 hours of use!

vento 03-02-2006 07:01 PM

I sell the same kits Red XC used HERE.

$250 Shipped via paypal.

(2) McCulloch ballast, (2) 5300K H7 HID bulbs, and everything you need.

gordon368 03-03-2006 12:11 AM

MTEC's are better, There is not bulb beam error message with these, these are superior quality and a LOT more bluer...

reg 03-03-2006 10:40 PM

What's the big deal with blue lights? If you want more "light" why not toss in a pair of 100 watt bulbs and be done with it? For God's sake, you are talking about a Volvo, not a BMW or Mercedes! I doubt that you are going to impress anyone with a Volvo shoe box. I drive a c70 and it is simply a Volvo!
R.

ORIGINAL: gordon368

MTEC's are better, There is not bulb beam error message with these, these are superior quality and a LOT more bluer...

gordon368 03-04-2006 03:31 AM

w/e dude.....if you think of a volvo that way, why'd you even bother to get a volvo?
by the way I own a s80 t6, there's nothing shoe box about it.

reg 03-04-2006 01:22 PM

A s80 is a shoe box compared to the 2 door s70. The point I am trying to make is that a Volvo is/has been sold as a "safe" automobile and not a luxury or sport auto such as the two referenced autos that I mentioned. In fact, I own a BMW and I can guarantee you that it is ten steps above a Volvo in reliability and performance. Quite frankly, the 'old man styling' of the c70 appealed to me and coupled with the safety issues is the reason I purchaced it. For edification, the license tag on the Volvo reads: SNOWBTR and I drive it only in the winter for it's safety and traction............front wheel drive. I did find a deficiency with the head lamps and therefor I replaced the bulbs with the Sylvania bulbs and am quite taken with the improvement. Oh, by the way, did I mention that the BMW has HID bulbs?
R.

w/e dude.....if you think of a volvo that way, why'd you even bother to get a volvo?
by the way I own a s80 t6, there's nothing shoe box about it.

gordon368 03-04-2006 02:19 PM

like i said before, I could care less for your opinion. Clearly you dont know what your talking about. If you read consumer reports, they say quite the contrary to what your saying.

reg 03-04-2006 04:12 PM

Specifically Gordon, what is contrary to what I have said? And before you get into an argument with me...........be forwarned that I relish litigation and argument as that is what I pursue as a career.
Reg

like i said before, I could care less for your opinion. Clearly you dont know what your talking about. If you read consumer reports, they say quite the contrary to what your saying.

dcb07 03-04-2006 08:08 PM

It's not about "brighter light" its the look of the blue. It makes the car more eccentric. We are talking about making our cars look better with blue lights. Not everyone can afford to buy a BMW or Mercedes, so I don't see whats wrong with making the Volvo look a little better. PS gordon....is installing them yourself fairly easy?

reg 03-04-2006 10:07 PM

DCB, you have explained it. I understand what you want. Personally I would think that you would enjoy wheels and exhaust but if blue lights are what you want, then go for it. I saw a pair of bulbs in the local auto parts store that were quite inexpensive and yet were "blue" and I mean truly blue! At any rate, for an inexpensive upgrade for brighter lights I would suggest the Sylvania Silver Star bulbs that make a huge difference in 'brightness'. Lastly DCB, apply yourself in education and career path and it will not be long before you will have that BMW Hartge or Alpina!
R.

ORIGINAL: dcb07

It's not about "brighter light" its the look of the blue. It makes the car more eccentric. We are talking about making our cars look better with blue lights. Not everyone can afford to buy a BMW or Mercedes, so I don't see whats wrong with making the Volvo look a little better. PS gordon....is installing them yourself fairly easy?

gordon368 03-05-2006 02:04 AM

First: Who drives a convertible in the winter time?

Secondly: There is no way the s80’s looks like a shoe box.

Thirdly: Have you even looked at the consumer reports, Kelly blue book, Edmunds, yahoo cars, and cars.com?

Fourthly: There is plenty of sport and luxury in every Volvo while accentuated by safety. Think about it, in my car, I have a twin turbo 270 horsepower, with 282 lbs of torque on an inline 6 engine. Clearly I see plenty of sportage right there, not to mention the looks of the car(very sporty with a classy look). Luxury, once again an inline 6 engine, which is the same type of engine they use in BMW’s use. Not to mention, according to consumer reports, Edmunds, Kelly blue book and cars.com all of them clearly mention, especially the s80’s are LUXURY VEHICLES, reinforced by the sporty Volvo grill and turbo charged engine.

Fifthly: Even with a Doctorate, one will not be able to afford a bmw Hartge or alpina. The better practical alternative would be a Volvo or Volkswagen.

P.S.S. DCB they are a cinch to install, i can guide you through it easily! I saw my car from distance and they look amazing. When I brought it to the volvo service, everyone at volvo was commenting on how niced they looked - a couple people asked me where I got them, and volvo reps said they look really good. These are a serious head turner, my friend has them too. If you can afford them, GO for them, they are very high quality kits!

reg 03-05-2006 10:30 PM

You are obviously uniformed if you believe all c70s are convertibles
Car and Driver, Road and Track, and Automobile all seem to feel the Volvo sedan is a shoe box and I would tend to agree with that finding. My associates who were polled with that question with out exception agreed with the shoe box description.
The Volvo six cylinder is not even close to what is installed in a BMW. It certainly is clear that you have no conception of the technology between the two. The ONLY thing that is "shared" is the fact that they are six cylinders. Any day, the BMW 6 will blow the doors off your s80 and will stop quicker also. Check out the Car and Driver reviews.
As it pertains to Consumer Reports, I have the 2005 edition in hand and I fail to see your point. The five series BMW is rated higher.
A "sporting" automobile is comprised of more than torque or horse power. Your Volvo cannot corner, stop, or accelerate anywhere close to a five series BMW.............no where close! A s80 has never been associated with a "sporty" automobile.
A law practice will garner more revenue than a Phd.
Now, I have replied to your response on the same level as what I would assume you can grasp given your inexperience and obvious youth. Perhaps if you someday decide to aspire to a higher calling, you will not be quite so sophomoric in your responses and we could argue with facts.
Lastly, if you believe that you have such a fine automobile, then why oh why did you make posts on 27 February 06 ande 28 February abasing your fine automobile? Sonny, in the future, think of your responses in a measured manner prior to inserting your foot into your mouth. A Volvo is simply a Volvo. The safety factor is what they are recognized for. I am ecstatic that you are happy with your new head lamps............but for God's sake sonny, the headlamps do not alter the fact that you are operating a shoe box!
R.

JCVolvoS80 03-06-2006 12:52 PM

ORIGINAL: reg

What's the big deal with blue lights? If you want more "light" why not toss in a pair of 100 watt bulbs and be done with it? For God's sake, you are talking about a Volvo, not a BMW or Mercedes! I doubt that you are going to impress anyone with a Volvo shoe box. I drive a c70 and it is simply a Volvo!
R.

A 99 S80 only pushed out 55w on low and high (45 on low, i think) and if you pay the money for 100W bulbs then there are minimum 45w of unsused power. They won't be as bright as you're paying. I looked at a paid of PIAA's and they were 100w H7's. (for 80 dollars a pair) and would give me very little advantage over the stock bulbs I have in right now. Check the manual and see what the wattage on the stock bulbs are because they won't draw more power just because they can have more. It's like light bubls in your house. Don't go higher because it won't help you with brightness. The headlight assembly won't increase in power because of the bubls.

ZIGZAG 03-06-2006 02:07 PM

Reg, lay off the kid, obviously he loves his volvo and (for me too) they will always be better than BMW's (at least in my eyes)

As far as blue headlight go i think the whole thing is getting ridculous, how much are you planning of spending just to have to blue look, a look you can only see if you walk down the road half a mile. I know people like to follow trends but there is a reason for the blue look and unless you are planning on forking out the money for an HID kit then what is the point in spending 50 beans a bulb. My personal experience with these bulbs is they only last about 6 months anyway. I hate the blue looking bulbs and just to prove a point I have one of each (blue and a white) maybe when the weather gets better i will walk the half mile and take a picture. I hope people laugh their asses off.

If you really want something cool, find me a FLIR...now that would be cool.

gordon368 03-06-2006 05:32 PM

Actualy it's the same engine "inline 6", the size may not be the same but the layout is. Volvo has put out a sedan(s80) that clearly meets the luxury in the 7 series, beats any 5 series in a race. Oh and why don't you try and out handle me in the snow with your BMW? Maybe if you took the time to read those posts, LIKE ALL CARS, my car needed a major tune up.

Oh and your little 6 series? that will be blown away by volvo's yamaha V8, which probably in the process take the doors off that 7 series too. Volvo is in the midst of a revolution, and its only time when BMW is going to be lagging behind. Volvo may be a few steps behind now, but in safety they are atleast 20 steps ahead of BMW. I feel great knowing that I can speed around in my t6, knowing that I have 5 star safey ratings for all type's of crashes. Which would you rather have,a few more useless trinkets in the cabin, or safety? Don't get me wrong, BMW has a decent line up of cars.

Just think of it this way, The s80 is the average of the 3,5, 6, and 7 series averaged together. It's got plenty of power under the hood, lots of luxury options, an endless list of safety features, great handling ALL YEAR ROUND, optional refrigerar, OH and not to mention, that the s80 is VERY efficient in gas mileage. Just take a look at the entire line up , s40 = the 3 series line up, s60 = 5 series and 6 series line up, s80 with the yamaha v8 = 6 series and 7 series. Not to mention that the s60r is probably going to be the next m5, just give it some time. Not to mention Volvo has the fastest SUV out there with the best safety rating.

So reg, why dont you get off you high horse before pride takes the best of you. As it stands now, that foot of mine.... Oh lets not talk about where it's going now...