Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum

Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum (https://volvoforums.com/forum/)
-   Volvo S80 (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-s80-18/)
-   -   New ownter, what to know ? (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-s80-18/new-ownter-what-know-25329/)

andrei3333 12-07-2008 08:38 AM

New ownter, what to know ?

Picked up a 1999 S80 T6

need the Factory service manual

what should i know about the car ?

vegasjetskier 12-07-2008 09:38 AM

RE: New ownter, what to know ?

Can you get your money back? Lots of problems with these cars.

The service manual is computerized. You can buy it on discs. Here is one place: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/VOLVO-VADIS-SE...1%7C240%3A1318

The first thing to check is if the ETM has been upgraded. If you are having drivability problems, it may be due to the ETM. You have 10 years or 200,000 miles (since the car was new) under the extended warrantee, but Volvo will only pay for it if the ETM is really the problem. To get started see: http://www.etmsettlementdocuments.com/2008/index.html

andrei3333 12-07-2008 09:46 AM

Thanks for the encouragement - i like the car and want to keep it though

whats this class action law suit web site you linked i dont get it

vegasjetskier 12-07-2008 09:57 AM

ORIGINAL: andrei3333

Thanks for the encouragement - i like the car and want to keep it though

whats this class action law suit web site you linked i dont get it

Well, you have to read through it to get the information. I'm not going to retype it all here. If you can't get started from the page I posted go here to begin: http://www.etmsettlementdocuments.com/2008/faq.htmlYou need to move fast to get in under the wire though, if possible.

andrei3333 12-07-2008 10:03 AM

DOES this 10 year warranty start from the time the car was manufactured or from the time the car was first sold

my car (as per carfax) was manufactured on the 2nd of december 2008 and was first sold on december 10th 2008

so please tell me i have until this wednessday to go to the dealer ??????

im only supposed to get the car on tuesday night so this will be tight

vegasjetskier 12-07-2008 10:25 AM

From the FAQ:

2. What are the settlement benefits for Class Members?
The benefits include:
An extended ETM Warranty: the emissions warranty for the ETM in Class Vehicles is extended to 10 years or 200,000 miles from date of first use, whichever comes first.

4. How do I get the benefits of the extended warranty?
If you notice that your vehicle experiences problems that you believe may be related to the ETM, take it to your local Volvo dealer. If your vehicle is covered by the Extended Warranty and the dealer determines that the problem is related to the ETM, the ETM will be repaired or replaced for free under the Extended Warranty. Your ETM may not be functioning properly if your “check engine light” or other driver warning messages illuminate, if you notice uneven engine idling, or your vehicle enters a condition known as “limp-home mode”, which restricts the speed at which you can drive your vehicle. Plaintiffs have also alleged that ETM failure can cause a vehicle engine to stall, hesitate, or accelerate unexpectedly. Volvo denies these allegations.

So if you are not having the drivability problems listed, Volvo will probably not install a new ETM at their expense. If you are having those drivability problems, you should get to a dealer asap so they can't deny your claim based on the fact that you were "out of warranty."

vegasjetskier 12-07-2008 10:44 AM

Problems with my car.

FYI. I have a 2001, which was supposed to have a lot of the problems fixed that the 1999 and 2000 models had. I've owned it for 3 years. So far I've had to deal with the following:

Turbo oil return line seals leaking - had to be replaced.

Oil trap clogged - had to be removed and cleaned.

Left front wheel bearing and driveshaft bad - had to be replaced.

Fuel door hinge cracked - had to be replaced.

Auto-dimming rearview mirror inoperative - had to be fixed.

Alarm system siren inoperative - had to be replaced.

All brake discs worn out - had to be replaced.

Center console cover worn through - had to be replaced.

Driver's door window doesn't retract all the way sometimes - haven't fixed it yet.

I hear the 1999-2000 models also had problems with the suspension strut mounts and bushings.

If you run into any problems with your new car, be sure to post back here and members will try to help you with solutions. I fixed a lot of the problems with my car myself, and you should be able to also if you have average mechanical skills.

andrei3333 12-07-2008 11:09 AM

RE: Problems with my car.

none of those sound major, i am mechanically inclined and can do some of the work myself, used to own a 97 nissan maxima that i worked on myself

some of the things you mention are regular maintenance and age/wear and tear

im going to call volvo first thing in the morning on monday and set up an appointment to get that recall done, its gona be tight since i am supposed to get the car on tuesday and on wednesday the recall ext warranty runs out for me

i look forward to being on these forums which will be a change for me since i was a 2 year member of the torontomaxima forums and maxima.org forums

PS: the awesome writeup on replacing the spark plugs on the T6 looks super easy and i look forward to doing that first

i cannot believe no one has a copy of the factory service manual on hand for free, there have go to be people out there willing to share

elmo_allen 12-07-2008 06:04 PM

I wish I knew about this earlier... but that is what I get for not asking... I only have 85,600 miles on my car do you all think that they could check my ETM for free? I know that I am cutting it close with the length of time, but I still do not have 200,000 miles yet... Is this possible... Also how much is it if it is not free because I think this is a good thing to check.

tech 12-08-2008 08:01 AM

First call your local Dealer with your Vin# and have them check for open recalls. That will tell you if there is any open recalls and if the software has been downloaded already.

vegasjetskier 12-08-2008 09:47 AM

ORIGINAL: elmo_allen

I wish I knew about this earlier... but that is what I get for not asking... I only have 85,600 miles on my car do you all think that they could check my ETM for free? I know that I am cutting it close with the length of time, but I still do not have 200,000 miles yet... Is this possible... Also how much is it if it is not free because I think this is a good thing to check.
If you are having the drivability problems listed, then they should check it for free under the warranty. If you are not having the drivability problems listed, my guess is that they will charge you for a diagnostics service at the very least. If when you start it up it stumbles and doesn't idle right, you might take it in and request the ETM be checked under the warranty, then go from there. If you are not experiencing any symptoms, I don't think they will do anything for you. I did get a notice a couple years ago saying that they had a software upgrade they could install to help with the problems. They would probably do that before installing a new ETM, since the ETM is about $1,000.

elmo_allen 12-08-2008 11:47 AM

Wow... Thanks for the info vegasjetskier!:D

andrei3333 12-08-2008 08:37 PM

Spoke to Volvo Canada - 1 recall still open, it IS the Electronic Throttle System

Made an early morning appointment with my closest volvo dealer for wednesday and will take care of it there - strangely Volvo Canada told me that even though the warranty will expire the recall is lifetime, so it has nothing to do with the warranty - but they may have been mistaken/lying

cant wait to get the car

gordon368 12-09-2008 04:11 AM

vegasjetskier, lol dont worry man I have you beatby 4 fold of that list lol..Seeing your list is a relief for me lol. The only thing tho I invested in a warranty this car! which has worked hugely in my favor.

Oh also make sure you got the fuel pump service done which is 10 years/200,000 miles or 150,000.. If there is a problem with it they will fix it, if not then your good to go.

andrei3333 12-10-2008 07:52 PM

So i have the dealer reprogram the ETM because of the recall P25043

So what have they changed / improved in this new software ?