Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum

Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum (https://volvoforums.com/forum/)
-   Volvo S80 (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-s80-18/)
-   -   New S80 T6 owner, turbo and chip questions (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-s80-18/new-s80-t6-owner-turbo-chip-questions-22149/)

biohazard 08-13-2008 02:03 PM

New S80 T6 owner, turbo and chip questions

I got a 99 S80 T6 two days ago. I am surprised the car is so quick, but it definitely needs to be a little faster. Where would be a good source for a good computer set for 18-19psi and no governor? I want to take this car to the track asap and see what it has in it. I want to leave everything else besides the computer stock, would it be able to handle 18psi with no other mods (in other words, no stage whatever BS package that costs a kidney and half a lung with a larger exhaust, even though it helps a lot)? If it can, then I guess it has a 3bar map stock as well as big enough injectors. I have read a little bit about others running 18 PSI and they never mentioned blow off valves... there would be lots of compressor surge at those boost levels. Either way, I have a spare Mopar BOV around somewhere in the garage, I think I will throw it in today. It should be loud considering the engine is so quiet.

Thanks!

Edit: I also have an electrical problem somewhere in the car, maybe one of you can help. The sunroof, roof lights and sun visor mirror lights don't work. I checked the fuses and they are OK. Could there be an in-line fuse somewhere in the circuit? Any help is appreciated with this!

S70driver 08-13-2008 04:26 PM

RE: New S80 T6 owner, turbo and chip questions

Yes you can just run an ECU upgrade. IPD USA, RICA and BSR PPC are the best ECU upgrades on the Volvo aftermarket. You will greatly benefit from exhaust upgrades, which I recommend doing. As for a BOV it wont help you any, if anything it will hinder you. Your an automatic and it will only go off when you let off the gas. And for that split second it will make you run rich.

biohazard 08-13-2008 05:08 PM

Thanks for the info on ECU upgrades. I know exhaust upgrades help turbo cars most but I'm not willing to put the money into it (at the moment, at least). I already have a project car that needs a motor rebuild and I'm saving up for parts. However, your information on blow off valves is incorrect. They are ALWAYS supposed to go off when you let off the gas. It doesn't go off when you change gears in a standard. The valve works to relieve high pressure in the intake system after the throttle plate closes. Without a blow off/bypass valve this forms a pressure wave that's shot back into the turbo(s). That's compressor surge and it KILLS the lifespan of any turbo running high boost. 8 PSI would be OK but I would recommend adding in a BOV for ANY turbocharged car. Transmission has nothing to do with it. As for how it works, a vacuum hose sucks it open when the throttle is closed due to manifold vacuum developing in the intake manifold. The excess pressure from the turbos is then vented into the atmosphere. Don't mean to sound like a know-it-all but I hate to see wrong info especially when something as expensive as a turbocharger is on the line (or two of them, in this case).

S70driver 08-13-2008 06:56 PM

Yes and in an automatic car they are pointless. All they are is for looks and sound. Now if that is what you want fine. I had one for that very reason, but you will see no benefits from a BOV on your s80T6.

S70driver 08-13-2008 07:04 PM

You also have what is called a CBV which is basically a BOV.

biohazard 08-13-2008 07:54 PM

They are not pointless, I just explained in detail why they are needed. I just went and had a look, it has a bypass valve (recirculated). I guess that's what you called a CBV. In this case, a blow off valve would have no benefits over the stock bypass valve and would only be there for the neat sound. I didn't bother to look down there yesterday and I assumed it didn't have a bypass valve either. If the car did not have a bypass or blow off valve however, it would reduce the turbo lifespan by a great amount. Refer back to my explanation for why it's important to have either in any type of turbo car, even an automatic.

S70driver 08-14-2008 07:16 AM

Oh and it is called a CBV, A compressor bypass valve (CBV), also known as a compressor relief valve or diverter valve, is a vacuum-actuated valve designed to release pressure in the intake system of a turbocharged or centrifugally supercharged car when the throttle is lifted or closed. This air pressure is re-circulated back into the non-pressurized end of the intake (before the turbo) but after the mass airflow sensor.

nicolaselias 08-14-2008 12:23 PM

How much extra bhp do you plan to gain by upping the turbo boost and having the ECU tweaked?

S70driver 08-14-2008 01:16 PM

Estimated gains for most ECU tuners upgrades are around 35 Hp and 35 Ft Lb's of torque. Some say a little more, some say less. The EBAY fakes are way off and wont do a damn thing for your car.

biohazard 08-14-2008 04:20 PM

ORIGINAL: S70driver

Oh and it is called a CBV, A compressor bypass valve (CBV), also known as a compressor relief valve or diverter valve, is a vacuum-actuated valve designed to release pressure in the intake system of a turbocharged or centrifugally supercharged car when the throttle is lifted or closed. This air pressure is re-circulated back into the non-pressurized end of the intake (before the turbo) but after the mass airflow sensor.
Yep ;).

I've heard people saying somewhere around 310hp, but that depends on many things. Two different cars will be affected differently based on many things but most importantly the state of the motors. Hey S70 do you know what chips these computers use? I might be able to burn myself one and chip it myself for cheap. If not, retail from a reliable source it is.

S70driver 08-14-2008 04:34 PM

Yeah chip it yourself, I'd like to see that. I have a feeling you will run into many problems. No I don't know. What I do know is you should go with IPD USA, RICA and or BSR PPC. Or try and purchase one of a few stand alone systems and try to tune it yourself.

bigern45 08-14-2008 05:59 PM

i did an upsolute tune on my s80 for around 450 and the results are ridiculas. boost is up to 19 psi once in closed loop and it pulls like a beast. i also ran straight downpipes instead of convertors and boost spools up much sooner. i was gonna do a few dyno pulls and see what its doing but my timing belt tensioner gave. so im stuck in the garage doing tensioner, belt, water pump for the next couple of days. when i get it done and do the dyno ill let you know how it turns out. ill also post some 1/4 mile eta's when i go to the track.

S70driver 08-14-2008 06:41 PM

Upsolute is a cheap solution just like SpeedTuning USA. They don't do too much R and D into it. IPD USA, RICA and BSR PPC are the three best tuners on the market for Volvo's. They do trhe most R and D into their products.

bigern45 08-14-2008 07:09 PM

whats r and d. research and developement?

bigern45 08-14-2008 07:47 PM

and regardless.. my boost gauge shows 19psi ... for nearly half the price. believe me. you wont be dissapointed.. and thats not to say anything against ipd or ricca.. its just a cheaper tune that gets the same if not better performance than these other tuners.

S70driver 08-14-2008 08:05 PM

What your not getting is a proper tune. The R and D that goes into the others is superior in all aspects to what Upsolute, Speed Tuning USA and Inmotion do. Yeah I have an ST USA ECU upgrade only because of a groupbuy that happened a few years back, couldn't beat the price. Performance is nice too, but if I had saved my money up I would have gone with IPD USA, RICA and or BSR PPC.

biohazard 08-14-2008 08:46 PM

I will have to see what route I go with depending on how much money I have. Right now my main priority is getting the race car back on the road again. It needs a full motor rebuild, the things that will rape me are going to be pistons, machine work, manifolds and turbo. Oh and the 3" exhaust, I have to take it in for that. But 350whp on a 2500lb car will be worth it :). I'm expecting all that to cost me ~5k.

biohazard 08-14-2008 08:51 PM

Hhhhm.... the apostrophes glitch out for some reason for me....

bigern45 08-14-2008 09:42 PM

where did you get a 2500lbs s80?

S70driver 08-14-2008 10:29 PM

He didn't. He is talking about another car.