Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum

Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum (https://volvoforums.com/forum/)
-   Volvo S80 (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-s80-18/)
-   -   New Volvo Owner (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-s80-18/new-volvo-owner-45195/)

Karrilee 09-03-2010 08:23 AM

New Volvo Owner

I just got my 2000 Volvo S80 on August 28, 2010. Have already put in $100.00 dollars worth of maintenance items.

My check engine lite is still on. I have replace the fuel cap and it is still saying large evap leak. Any suggestions?

Now today the service lite came on. Don't know what kind of service I am to do now. Help.

Also wondering what kind of speakers I should install besides the factory ones. Raido is a Hu-611.

I know so many questions. There is water in the headlights. How do I fix that?

Here is my story...I had a 1987 Volvo 760T, years ago. Loved it. Getting another Volvo was on my Bucket List. lol. I am willing to learn everything about maintenance and repair on my Volvo. If I can fix it myself I would rather do that...yes, I am a girl and single...Knoweledge is power.

If anyone has any suggestions or solutions please let me know.

Thank you,
Karrilee

mikebrooks 09-04-2010 07:59 PM

Did you reset the computer/light when you got a new fuel cap? If not it will not go away on it's own, go to advance auto and they can do it for free, its under the steering wheel.

Service light, get them to check before reset might just be oil change or some thing, if so the reset will fix that too.

If you want new door/rear speakers I would suggest getting a aftermarket head unit first, I was going to do new speakers but I got a new head unit and it sounds so much better already I just am keeping my speakers. (anything by alpine/sony/panasonic that is $250 or more should be fine)

andrei3333 09-04-2010 09:48 PM

Welcome to the forum

The service light is just an automatic counter, i think its comes on every 7500KM automatically thinking you need to change your oil, this can be reset wither with a tool or manually, you have to find the instructions on here it involves playing with the ignition

The check engine (lamda) light has to be reset by a tool, i just changed my gas cap too today but havent reset it yet, i think the computer SHOULD realize the problem is gone and it should remove the check engine light, but try resetting it

Water in the headlights is condensation, i dont think there is anything you can to, try looking for a small cap thats located behind the headlight it elf and remove it, i removed mine, it got a little better, but they still condense

Karrilee 09-05-2010 08:37 AM

Thank you for all of your advice.

I did reset the Check Engine Light after the gas cap was installed....But it still says there is a problem. Trying to find the EVAP leak. It is kinda hard when you don't know which are hoses or wiring. lol.

Yesterday, I was able to reset the service light. I was so proud of myself.

I also found yesterday that the speaker in the dash on top is gone....Hmm wonder where that went. Have no clue on what size that is.

As far as a head unit. Is there a volvo face plate that? I can use so it doesn't look stupid.

I am determinded to fix my car itself, instead of paying such high prices. Still wondering if there is a text book out there so I can learn all about my volvo instead of just the manual.

mikebrooks 09-05-2010 09:16 AM

The speaker in the top is not suppose to be there, I thought the same thing a few weeks ago when I found out mine was missing, it is only on certain models and certain head units that come with the car.

I have a OEM style face plate that is made for aftermarket head units, I believe you can get them from the dealer, but the cheapest will be on amazon most likely, remember to get the wire adapters to save you time and stress.
-- After Market Head Unit Plate --

Good job on the light reset you did yourself, for the evap I would just check all the black hoses on top, don't pull them just push lightly and see if any push in, also check under the passenger side, there are 2 hoses that run in the under body some what, one of mine was disconnected one time but its not a huge issue but some thing to check, they just push in easy together. Also make sure all caps are on tight.

-Mike :rolleyes:

nicolaselias 09-05-2010 02:12 PM

Hi Karilee, good to have some more females on this admittedly testosterone fueled forum...

When I first got my 02 S80, I was planning to change the headunit and possibly put an amp and sub etc.. Eventually decided that it wasn't worth the trouble..

Reasons being:
1. The factory speakers actually sound very good for stock
2. The stock headunit looks neat, and I was worried that aftermarket could spoil the look
3. Changing headunit would make my wheel controls and cd-changer worthless

Concerning the center speaker on the dash, only the HU-801 model came with this speaker.. the HU-611 just has an empty spot there.. can be used for storing weapons or junking your stash when the cops search you hahaha.. Just joking of course, but it is pretty to have such a big empty space in the dash...

Concerning water in the headlights.. I had water in both, then had to change one light lens, and havent had any in it since.. So now I have condensation forming in only one light..
I have heard from some that if you rain-x the seal going around the lens it can keep water out, but this has mixed results... But then again no harm done if you try

Karrilee 09-06-2010 08:02 AM

I did it....I fixed my EVAP leak all by myself....Yeah:cool:

Thank you everyone for the information. I could not of done it without you.

On another note, I am still a dork.. Had no clue there was not supposed to be a speaker in the dash...lol..

Okay, just to make sure that I did what I was supposed to do.

1. Checked black hoses on top.
2. Found what I think was a hose. ( in back of engine, silver thing that looked like a slinnky, was very loose)
3. Bought 3 clamps.
4. Installed on both ends, and one in the middle ( think it was a connector of some sort.)
5. Reset the code for Checck Engine Light.

We will see if my Check Engine light comes back on....

My neigbors came over yesterday and asked what I was doing and if they could help me. Haha. I said nope I got it handled. Boy oh Boy did I freak out the neigbors.

tinkering 09-06-2010 09:16 AM

Condensation in the lights is a pain. I had the same thing in one of my old cars and got a very small drill bit and created a tiny hole in the top of the light...left the lights on for awhile and eventually the condensation was gone....seal the hole with a small amount of sealer....done!

hope it helps

Snowmonkey517 09-06-2010 10:06 AM

Nice going! Always cool to fix your own car and tell the guys you have it under conltrol! :)
I bought my '02 s40 in June of this year, one of the first things I did was look for a repair manual..they are hard to find, but check Ebay if you need one. Keep us posted on your progress, and add a pic of your car if you haven't already.

andrei3333 09-06-2010 11:21 AM

For a repair manual look at the sticky at top of the boards its called Vadis, its a dealer dvd-based program that can be downloaded, my instructions on how to do it are there