Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum

Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum (https://volvoforums.com/forum/)
-   Volvo S80 (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-s80-18/)
-   -   not an oil leak, but an oil waterfall!! (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-s80-18/not-oil-leak-but-oil-waterfall-77244/)

joey_espo 03-19-2014 05:50 PM

not an oil leak, but an oil waterfall!!

updated page 2

i purchased my 1st volvo (00 s80 t6) about 3 weeks ago. the car was from an impound auction, and was sitting for 90 days prior to the auction. i have been working on it in my driveway until today when i finally decided things should be good to go for the road :).......overall i love the car, drives nice, and has decent power (slightly disappointed with a twin turbo 6cyl, but it is not a sport car)

after a 5 mile drive i could smell oil. open the hood, and the former spotless engine had oil droplets all over, also looked like oil "shot" out of the dipstick with oil on the hood just above the dipstick ( fist size mist of oil)

-look under the car (shield/cover already removed) and oil is EVERYWHERE! it looked like a sheet of oil dropping from the cross-member (under the axel?.) and dripping oil off the fan shroud on the passenger side.

i get the car home and sprayed everything with de-greaser and cleaned it up a bit.

there was oil down the fan shroud and dripping to the ground (also on the alternator) looked like it was going down the oil pan also. it seems the dip stick tube is leaking where it goes into the block (but not alot)

-i got the car on ramps and started it up.......well NO leaks:confused::confused::confused::confused:, finally after about 5 minutes i see a small amount of oil coming from the rear of the engine above the heat-shields (turbo's looked dry????)

on top of this the brake light and stop vehicle message comes on....lucky after reading it is a common error because the brakes worked fine....odd part is the message comes and goes at random times.

so far it seems like i have a project ahead of me but i only paid $1,800 for the car, and carfax shows it was always local to my area and dealer maintained...

stop_at_willoughby 03-23-2014 04:55 AM

Happened to be watching a video on P2 Volvo's and see what you are talking about. Says it has to do with the PCV system. About 3:00 into the video.

joey_espo 03-24-2014 09:39 AM

Originally Posted by stop_at_willoughby (Post 384245)
Happened to be watching a video on P2 Volvo's and see what you are talking about. Says it has to do with the PCV system. About 3:00 into the video.

ipd Volvo - Tune Up Talk 2001- models - YouTube

sweet deal!!! it would explain the oil spraying out the oil dip stick, ill have to check a diagram for the pcv system and see what/where/how to fix it..thanks!

stop_at_willoughby 03-26-2014 04:04 AM

Originally Posted by joey_espo (Post 384378)
sweet deal!!! it would explain the oil spraying out the oil dip stick, ill have to check a diagram for the pcv system and see what/where/how to fix it..thanks!

If you are able to isolate and correct the problem. Please make sure to share with the forum.

joey_espo 03-27-2014 08:24 AM

Originally Posted by stop_at_willoughby (Post 384598)
If you are able to isolate and correct the problem. Please make sure to share with the forum.

absolutely, i actually ended up dropping the car off at a local shop. i let the mechanic know the info from the video. i usually do all work myself, but this one had me thrown for a loop. the more i learn the more ill post.

joey_espo 04-03-2014 04:55 PM

soooo my mechanic said he cant fix it....said he doesn't have the right tools, so i am back at square one. i watched a video of putting a rubber glove over the oil cap to check for =/- pressure, i did so and it sucked the glove inwards, this is how it is supposed to be otherwise a blocked pcv would build pressure and blow the glove up?? slow speeds the car is great no issues just the leak, however at higher speeds 50+ is when i get the oil out of the oil dip stick tube. this issue is really boggling my mind, i called other shops and they wont touch the car, volvo basically said it would take mutiple trips to the dealer to resolve enerything and my budget of 1,200 would only be a start towards the fix :0

John Arsenault 04-03-2014 05:49 PM

When you did the glove test did you try it at a high revs? At idle its hard to tell.

difflock54 04-03-2014 06:20 PM

Does the oil dipstick still have the rubber 'O' ring seal on it.
If missing the crankcase pressure at higher rev's would be enough to push oil out and then become dispersed around engine bay by the incoming cooling air thru the grille or even more so with the fan going.

joey_espo 04-03-2014 07:09 PM

Originally Posted by John Arsenault (Post 385382)
When you did the glove test did you try it at a high revs? At idle its hard to tell.

i floored it, only got to 4k rpm and almost sucked the entire glove into the valve cover....

joey_espo 04-03-2014 07:11 PM

Originally Posted by difflock54 (Post 385387)
Does the oil dipstick still have the rubber 'O' ring seal on it.
If missing the crankcase pressure at higher rev's would be enough to push oil out and then become dispersed around engine bay by the incoming cooling air thru the grille or even more so with the fan going.

yes it does...i even cut the finger of a glove and put it over the dip stick. the dip stick vacuumed the glove..i took it around the block and go figure nothing this time. it has only came out the dip stick 2 times in about 4 or 5 trips. almost like the pcv is going bad?

joey_espo 04-03-2014 07:13 PM

new problem maybe? the dealer said they would charge to clean the engine (giving the amount of oil all over. i cleaned it pretty well. and decided to try seafoam. i used 3/4 in the iol and 1/4 in the intake, now the car runs like garbage and wants to stall out, i ran it about 20 minutes with no difference...oddest part usually when i use seafoam i get a lot of smoke out the exhaust, this time absolutely nothing!

BradF80 04-06-2014 02:15 PM

Could be excessive blowby from one of the turbos. Get the RPM's high enough so the turbos spool and I bet you see the oil go. That would also explain your dissapointment in power as well. The 01 I have is stout and isn't afraid to break a motor mount if you're not nice to it...lol

joey_espo 04-08-2014 08:16 PM

decided to tear into it today.....i got the intake mani, power steering pump, alternator, ac, and bracket off to access the oil box....well everything seemed fine :( no build up in the block openings, and the oil can itself looked in great shape no oil came out when i turned it upside down, and all openings were free flowing....now to put it all back together, at least now i know how to take the front of the engine apart.....

stop_at_willoughby 04-09-2014 02:49 AM

Not sure if this was the video you watched. But this guy who is a casual member on here mentions leaving the dip stick out to look for black smoke. Very informative about the PCV system none the less if this was not the one you watched.

dsharp 04-09-2014 06:21 PM

Pull the plugs and do a compression test. If the oil pan is making enough pressure to push out the dipstick tube it's generally combustion pressure getting past the piston rings.

joey_espo 04-09-2014 10:43 PM

Originally Posted by stop_at_willoughby (Post 385882)
Not sure if this was the video you watched. But this guy who is a casual member on here mentions leaving the dip stick out to look for black smoke. Very informative about the PCV system none the less if this was not the one you watched.

Volvo PCV System Check, 850, V70, S70, and others - Auto Repair Series - YouTube

yep i watched this one, i tried the glove trick on oil filler cap, and used a finger of a glove on the dip stick...both have vacuum, and on higher revs, the glove almost got sucked into the valve cover....

joey_espo 04-09-2014 10:44 PM

Originally Posted by dsharp (Post 385933)
Pull the plugs and do a compression test. If the oil pan is making enough pressure to push out the dipstick tube it's generally combustion pressure getting past the piston rings.

ill try this on friday, my brother has the compression test tool

joey_espo 04-17-2014 08:08 PM

compression: #1-6= 120psi, this was with a cheap set and the pressure is approximate.....

worst now 5 of the intake mani bolts are stripped....