Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum

Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum (https://volvoforums.com/forum/)
-   Volvo S80 (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-s80-18/)
-   -   O2 problems maybe (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-s80-18/o2-problems-maybe-39231/)

tower101 02-21-2010 06:48 PM

O2 problems maybe

I hope someone can point me in the right direction.

I replaced the cats on my 99 S80 N/A, I used an aftermarket one (Eastern) I did not replace the O2s. All seemed fine for 2 months then I noticed something dragging under the car, seems I did not secure the lines for the 2 pass O2s and the wires came down (yes I am a retard). They had unplugged and did not look to healthy I cleaned them up plugged them in and properly secured them.

A few days later I got a light with codes p0432 & p0422 bummer. I got 4 new O2s (all Bosch direct replacements) changed them reset the light and the next day same 2 codes came up.

I have rechecked everything replaced the fuse for the O2s and the light came back on with the same codes??

I am at a loss anyone have a suggestions?

Thanks

tech 02-21-2010 06:54 PM

The codes might be from the aftermarket cats.

tower101 02-21-2010 07:00 PM

Thought of that but way would they be ok for 2 months? Then be a problem after the O2 problem and replacement?

Has anyone else had a problem with aftermarket cats, I would have used OEM ones but they area grand more :(

tech 02-21-2010 07:57 PM

The computers on these cars are wacky.
Another thing you can try is to disconnect the battery and hold the positive and negative cables together. Do that for 5 minutes and see if codes come back again. But be sure to clear the codes before resetting the car.

tower101 02-21-2010 08:38 PM

Will try that thanks

tower101 02-28-2010 08:29 PM

Tried it did not work. I will be getting rid of this car, it's been ok but now things are going wrong and if it's going to be that picky then it makes no sense keeping it.

Lunger 02-11-2012 06:42 PM

you might have twisted or damaged the wires on the rear O2 sensors when you put them in. Look at the readings you are getting from the rear O2 sensor with a scanner. Remember the rear sensors read free O2 from around the wires so do not get anti seize on the wires or rtv them.

Lifesgoodhere 02-11-2012 06:58 PM

Originally Posted by tech (Post 206564)
The computers on these cars are wacky.
Another thing you can try is to disconnect the battery and hold the positive and negative cables together. Do that for 5 minutes and see if codes come back again. But be sure to clear the codes before resetting the car.

WRONG!

if you do not do the Hard battery restart incorrectly you will cause more problems.

With the key on #2 position.

at battery
Remove negative cable first
remove positive cable

take large locking pliers clamp the terminal ends together and suspend them in air with wire or buguie cord.

give it 30 minutes, DO NOT TOUCH THAT KEY IN THE IGNITION!!

hook everything back up in reverse order with the key in the #2 position.

hard battery restart.

tech 02-11-2012 10:06 PM

Originally Posted by Lifesgoodhere (Post 305889)
WRONG!

if you do not do the Hard battery restart incorrectly you will cause more problems.

With the key on #2 position.

at battery
Remove negative cable first
remove positive cable

take large locking pliers clamp the terminal ends together and suspend them in air with wire or buguie cord.

give it 30 minutes, DO NOT TOUCH THAT KEY IN THE IGNITION!!

hook everything back up in reverse order with the key in the #2 position.

hard battery restart.

I have done that method over 100 times with not one issue. That is how Volvo them selves told us to do it in Volvo school.
So I do not know how it can be WRONG when the dealer school was teaching it!

Lifesgoodhere 02-12-2012 09:08 AM

My shop has had a few cars where people tried doing the hard battery restart by themselves. We have to go into the computer and make all moduals reconize one by one. Huge PITA, and very expensive to the customer. I do nto know exactually what the customer did trying the hard battery restart, but they did something wrong, and that is the only reason I stress doing it in that way.

I was told by a Volvo engineer those instructions for the proper way. Yes, I do call Sweden from time to time.

Lifesgoodhere 02-12-2012 09:11 AM

btw tech, I should have pointed out you are doing it right, with the exception of holding the cables together for 30 minutes, and im sure you do it, the "key in #2 position"