Volvo S80 A performance sedan that offers top notch luxury, outstanding handling and so much more.

2000 Volvo S80 T6 Trunk issues

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2014, 09:26 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2000 Volvo S80 T6 Trunk issues

I just bought my first 2000 Volvo S80. I bought it from a used dealership who only had one key for me. Pricing the keys, it seems crazy to spend that much on a single key.
I have researched and found that the trunk does Not release inside the car which has me concerned seeing the manual key lock does not work. It acts like it is jammed. (Trust me not fun to find that out when the battery died 24 hrs after signing the papers that it is mine and being stranded with no way into the trunk where the battery is) Though if you use the button on the remote, it unlocks just fine. Is there a way I can purchase just the manual lock to the trunk. I don't care if I need to have an extra key (maybe even one that is not a Volvo brand so I don't have to pay $181 at the dealership). I just can not seem to fine ANYWHERE on the internet that sells this lock for the trunk.
Thank you in advance

Old 02-22-2014, 12:02 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

What you think is the trunk key latch is really an emergency release, not a regular keyed latch. There is an electronic release button just above the license plate. When the doors are locked with the fob or power lock button on either front door this release does not operate effectively locking the trunk as well, but if the doors are unlocked using the fob or button it has power and will open the trunk when you push it.

Last edited by pkrface; 02-23-2014 at 11:23 AM.
Old 02-22-2014, 12:07 PM

I had a locksmith order and cut a key for me that wont start the engine. Not just any locksmith can cut these keys. I think they use a lazer to cut them. He had to program the key into his laptop then cut it. I am in Iowa so that is the only way I can connect you with the guy. He charged me about $30 since this was his first Volvo he had done.

Old 02-25-2014, 12:14 PM

Upon reading your post I have to ask, have your tried putting the key in the driver's door and tuning it twice to, first unlock the drivers door, then twice to unlock the rest of the door's? This is how my truck lid release button is activated. Hope this is of any help to you?

Old 02-26-2014, 02:19 PM

i have the same type problem actual key will open the trunk but the button above the license plate will not. Also have some other issues like sunroof not working and the front dome lights not working when you hit the switches. bulbs are good, no blown fuses, no idea.

Old 02-26-2014, 02:27 PM

I found a locksmith that will cut me Just a door key (will not start the car) in my area for $55. Just need to set up an appointment.
I also found the button above the license plate but it doesn't do anything. All the fuses in the car are good.
I will try the key in the door lock twice and see if it opens it that way. Thank you. Keep the ideas coming please. I'm so grateful seeing I went from having a basic 1998 Mazda MPV to this.

Old 02-26-2014, 03:17 PM

Originally Posted by Agent_99X
I found a locksmith that will cut me Just a door key (will not start the car) in my area for $55. Just need to set up an appointment.
I also found the button above the license plate but it doesn't do anything. All the fuses in the car are good.
I will try the key in the door lock twice and see if it opens it that way. Thank you. Keep the ideas coming please. I'm so grateful seeing I went from having a basic 1998 Mazda MPV to this.
The button above the license plate is simply an electronic switch that activates the release the same way the button on the remote does. If the remote button releases it, but the button above the license plate does not then that button is most likely the culprit.

Old 02-27-2014, 06:18 AM

are there any other fuses for the sunroof besides the one on the fuse panel in the car? would this be tied into the trunk switch as well? maybe one of those larger relays under the hood? The sunroof and the trunk fuses aren't burnt out but they both don't work so either they both went bad or i have some wiring issues maybe a mouse got in there and went to town or something.

Old 02-27-2014, 07:09 AM

Yes... the remote trunk release works when you click the button twice (wither the car is unlocked or locked) but the button above the license plate does not. I think your right, the button is messed up some how. But does that button have anything to do with the actual Key Lock that is also on the trunk. If I put the key in there, it acts like it is jammed... will not move left or right.
Also, lucky me... just found out I'm loosing coolent and have no idea why so I guess now I'm stuck heading to a mechanic. So not what this single mother needs. Sigh. Oh well! Thank you everyone!

Old 02-27-2014, 09:12 AM

Alright, after a little experimenting with my S60, I may be able to explain this better.

If your doors are unlocked then the key when it is inserted into the trunk release cylinder will not turn, but if your doors are locked it will turn counter clockwise to open the trunk. The problem is almost certainly in that release button above the license plate, or in the circuit providing power to it. The emergency release cylinder appears to be locked out if the car doors are unlocked. Hope this helps.

Old 03-01-2014, 08:37 AM

You guys need to check that you do not have the trunk release above the license plate locked out. Make sure that is not the case by looking on the center column you have a button with a picture of a key and a trunk. This is a security thing that if you have doors unlocked you can keep the trunk locked. FYI if you have a dead battery the trunk release above the license plate will not work.....that's why you have the key hole!

Old 03-01-2014, 04:08 PM

The button inside the car does nothing at all. It will not light up or anything. The key does not work with doors locked or unlocked. An the button above the license plate does nothing but you can hear it click like it is a button but no mechanism moves.

Old 03-02-2014, 08:35 AM

Do you know that you have to turn the key to the left not the right to open trunk? I don't mean to insult anyone but that's how my key open's the trunk.

Old 03-10-2014, 03:21 AM

Originally Posted by Ziob34
i have the same type problem actual key will open the trunk but the button above the license plate will not. Also have some other issues like sunroof not working and the front dome lights not working when you hit the switches. bulbs are good, no blown fuses, no idea.
Just making sure you don't actually have the Valet lock turned on inside you car. I have the same issue with my s60. But I have a code on the Cluster say the trunk is open all the time. I have to open it with the key. I am assuming and actuator or sensor or something has failed on my rig.