Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum

Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum (https://volvoforums.com/forum/)
-   Volvo S80 (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-s80-18/)
-   -   p2177, p2179 fuel Air Metering Too Lean Off Idle (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-s80-18/p2177-p2179-fuel-air-metering-too-lean-off-idle-31714/)

sweets80 06-24-2009 03:50 PM

p2177, p2179 fuel Air Metering Too Lean Off Idle

Hello,

Please help. I had this fault code pop up about a month ago and reset it, no problem. Two days ago, the code reappeared, I checked for vacuum leaks and found the air filter canister cover was installed crooked with one clasp undone (left this way by the dealer).

After the simple fix, I reset the code only to have it come back today.

1. Am I risking damage if I ignore this?
2. What should I also check?

Oh, its a 2004 S80

Thank you for your ideas!

Scott

tech 06-25-2009 08:09 PM

Mass flow might be going bad.

sweets80 07-21-2009 07:07 PM

p2177, p2179 fuel Air Metering Too Lean Off Idle

Tech, thanks for the try. I replaced MAF sensor. My tough luck, the codes came right back after a couple of engine starts/trips, no change for the better. The codes light up while traveling at low speed and low engine load- typically decelerating.

I checked vacuum connections and all those in view look clean and tight. Could I be missing some out of view from the top front of engine?

Any other ideas are so much appreciated.

Thanks,
Scott

tech 07-21-2009 07:43 PM

You need to try to pressurize the system and check for leaks.

sweets80 01-31-2011 02:47 PM

After getting this issue resolved a year ago and thought I would post the cure for the benefit of the curious:
One week later the car developed another symptom: It would stall with no warning in traffic, on highway, etc... I immediately took it to the dealer. They replaced the MAF with OEM that I had replaced with aftermarket. Lesson to learn: replace MAF sensor with OEM Bosch only. Next, they kept the car 4 days and drove daily before isolating that it needed replacing of an an oxygen sensor too. Lesson to learn: the bill goes up exponentially when you have two difficult to diagnose problems going wrong acting together, don't put off resolving the little stuff. PS: corner mechanic with all diagnostic tools was no help. It required the dealer to solve the problem. Good luck to all.

dlbcsb052412 09-14-2015 10:44 PM

Hi i also have a volvo s80 and i just got it from the dealer less than a month ago. it just got to 100,000 miles yesterday as a took a 6 hour drive. today when i drove to town is when my engine light came on. i had the codes read on it and this p2177 is also what came on. I also have been getting a light on my display screen about "bulb failer position light".... im beginning to wonder if there is a few recalls on the s80 or something...it really sucks bc i just got the car and i absolutely love it!!!

Joel124 01-01-2018 11:04 AM

O2 Sensor

Originally Posted by sweets80 (Post 254636)
After getting this issue resolved a year ago and thought I would post the cure for the benefit of the curious:
One week later the car developed another symptom: It would stall with no warning in traffic, on highway, etc... I immediately took it to the dealer. They replaced the MAF with OEM that I had replaced with aftermarket. Lesson to learn: replace MAF sensor with OEM Bosch only. Next, they kept the car 4 days and drove daily before isolating that it needed replacing of an an oxygen sensor too. Lesson to learn: the bill goes up exponentially when you have two difficult to diagnose problems going wrong acting together, don't put off resolving the little stuff. PS: corner mechanic with all diagnostic tools was no help. It required the dealer to solve the problem. Good luck to all.

Do you mind if ask, which O2 Sensor ended up causing the problem?