Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum

Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum (https://volvoforums.com/forum/)
-   Volvo S80 (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-s80-18/)
-   -   Parking my car for over 3 months - precautions/tips (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-s80-18/parking-my-car-over-3-months-precautions-tips-18506/)

nicolaselias 03-19-2008 06:42 PM

Parking my car for over 3 months - precautions/tips

Hi everyone, I will be leaving florida for summer to head back home and unfortunately my beloved s80 cant come with me... we will have to reunite in august hopefully..
Anyway it looks like il be gone for about 14 weeks... I plan to park my car in a safe place by a friend ( most likely in a sheltered garage) but what precautions will I have to take?
Firstly, il place a mat underneath in case i have any leaks, dont want to nasty up their place
Second, FUEL... this is my biggest worry... When fuel sits for so long it tends to get gelatinous sometimes... so do i go with the full tank or almost empty tank option? I guess they will have to start the car once every few weeks so I need to leave it some gas, i guess a galon or so just in case... Concerning this, I have a brand new fuel filter I havent installed yet... do i put it now, or should I just put it after summer to get all the possible condensation and contaminants filtered?

What else will I have to be concerned with besides the battery?
Please let me know

thanks

tech 03-19-2008 08:52 PM

RE: Parking my car for over 3 months - precautions/tips

I would leave it full on gas.
Maybe even an aditive as well.
Do the filter later.
Everything else should be fine.

Yes put something on the floor it is leaking oil pretty bad.(My driveway and tell you that)

nicolaselias 03-19-2008 09:20 PM

Yea I know its leaking, and I wanted the mechanic down here to check it out but he says he doesnt do engine wash or any kind of oil work......
well, that rules that out, now i need somewhere in tampa that can do that for me but will be competent, someone personal rather than take it to one of the big name places...
You think by any chance any of the guys up at your shop may know one? I really dont know where to begin looking because the mechanic im supposed to be dealing with here... the only thing i really need him to do now is to change the spark plugs and im sure that can wait a little while..
I need to locate which seal is leaking which means i need the wash first, I need that engine mount bushing replaced along with the 2 steering arm bushings that you showed me were pretty worn.. and id like to get an oil change done once i find that leak...
I topped up the oil today from my old bottle of mobil 1 but il wait until i plug that leak to do the oil change.
I also need to get started on the parts for the T belt, and the s-belt..
alot of work in store i see..
What i think is il be in tampa for a few days after the semester is finished before going home, il do all of that then if it comes to it because il have all the free time in the world.

anyway thanks again, from what you saw tech.. where would you guess the oil leak to be? Somewhere down below im guessing as the engine looks pretty clean

nicolaselias 03-20-2008 10:42 AM

I dont profess to know too much about how insurance works in the US, but is there any way I could NOT have a policy on the car while im out of the country... it will save me an immense amount of money and I would much rather this than having to pay for a car that clearly no one will be driving..

Do any of you know if this will be possible?
Thank you

92Typhoon 03-20-2008 11:09 AM

I believe you can always put a "hold" on the policy that's on the car. But keep in mind, if anything happens to it during that time; someone breaks a window, steals it, tree falls on it, etc., then you're out of luck. You might talk with the insurance company and see if they can get you set up on a different policy while you aren't driving your car. That way, you're covered in case anything weird happens, but not paying the max insurance. :D

I don't drive my Typhoon very much, so I have it on a limited mileage policy, which is a bit cheaper. Might be something to look into.

nicolaselias 03-20-2008 11:45 AM

I think il have to make some calls because my insurance company told me i will have to keep the policy active even though il not be around... which doesnt make the world of sense to me.. my policy is so cheap anyway, its just a formality...
PS when i say cheap, i mean pathetic, but still expensive, as a non US citizen whos only had a US license for less than a yr, they kill me with premiums... im paying about 250 a month for practically no coverage, if someone steals my car or a tree fell on it etc, i have no coverage.. same goes for at fault.. nothing..
I could pay for full comprehensive insurance for a year back home for what they charge me for 2 months here.. shameful