Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum

Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum (https://volvoforums.com/forum/)
-   Volvo S80 (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-s80-18/)
-   -   Passenger side view mirror cracked (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-s80-18/passenger-side-view-mirror-cracked-44662/)

nbender 08-19-2010 09:11 PM

Passenger side view mirror cracked

Does anyone know if I will be able to replace a shattered side view mirror, without having to purchase an entire new side view mirror assembly? Only the mirror is cracked. Is it possible to purchase just the mirror and clamp it on? It is a 2001 S80 T.
Thank you.

jlewisinsyr 08-20-2010 06:08 AM

It looks like the make it as a seperate part number:

http://www.trademotion.com/partlocat...layCatalogid=0

So that is a good sign that you should be able to order it right from Volvo. I would guess, $60 or so dollars (I think that is how much my Lincoln's was to replace with the heated mirror element).

nbender 08-21-2010 06:25 AM

side view mirror reply

thank you for your reply. it was very kind of you. i actually found that website when I googled for side view mirrors. just was not sure if i would be able to just replace the mirror part, or if it would require replacing entire assembly. hopefully, i will be able to just snap on a new one....best to you.

Ciesco 08-24-2010 02:06 PM

passenger mirror replacement

NBender....
I just ordered this exact part...wife hit it on the garage on the way out. It was $86.47, factory new...try this guy, Joe @ ebayparts@volvo-oc.com
I have ordered many parts from him...from headlights to cup holders...
The old one "peels" off, if you have heated mirrors be careful as there are 2 plugs on the back side...the mirror has the female connection on the backside if I remember correctly...you'll want to pull it off slowly. the new one will go right back in place...
Good luck.

dcm0123 08-25-2010 09:31 PM

Cheap way out is to buy a piece of mirrored Plexiglas (plastic) and cut one yourself to fit. Use RTV (Permatex- engine gasket maker) on back to hold in place.
Also works well when the rear view mirror inside the car goes.

Ciesco 08-31-2010 11:05 AM

Just replaced mine last night with the one I ordered from the guy I recommended...was very easy. pushed the mirror all the way "in" and the plastic frame popped right off and after a light messing with, the other popped right back on...pretty easy...there is an answer on fixya.com to help with a little more detail on the "how to" portion of this post...good luck

orswitz 12-15-2010 06:42 PM

I have a driver's side one, heated, I bought used by mistake on eBay. If anyone needs it, let me know. I would have to look to see what it cost me but I don't think it was more than $25 w/o shipping.
My year 2005 has a different shape and is $80 new at the dealership.

orswitz 12-15-2010 06:43 PM

Does anyone know if the 2005 has the same 'feature' of extracting the old mirror as the 1999-2003? I haven't replaced either and they are both scratched now.

akabond 12-15-2010 10:58 PM

i had it on my Lexus ..it was cracked so i just bought a glass and pasted it over. But the thing was now the dimmer wont be as efficient. but it was sooo cheaper

jlewisinsyr 12-16-2010 07:14 AM

Originally Posted by akabond (Post 248217)
i had it on my Lexus ..it was cracked so i just bought a glass and pasted it over. But the thing was now the dimmer wont be as efficient. but it was sooo cheaper

Why bother having a nice car when you're just going to fix it like this?

akabond 12-17-2010 05:03 PM

Originally Posted by jlewisinsyr (Post 248253)
Why bother having a nice car when you're just going to fix it like this?

haha it was just temporary. Being from Canada i keep travelling back and forth to US so hardly get anytime. But in mean time my parents are driving it so i hv only temporary pasted a glass from an Auto Glass shop. Oh yes i will have to change the whole unit. Its also expensive and i am finding the right color too. So still shopping around :)