Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum

Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum (https://volvoforums.com/forum/)
-   Volvo S80 (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-s80-18/)
-   -   PCV problems (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-s80-18/pcv-problems-516/)

chet 09-22-2004 01:33 PM

PCV problems

Last week my 2000 S80 started acting up. Car would stall and I could not keep it running. The dealer told me to bring the car in for a check up. It turned out that the mass air sensor needed to be replaced, it cost $400. to fix. They told me I also should replace the PCV another couple hundred dlllars.

Where can I find info on replacing the PCV? I understand the part is only $150. If it's not that difficult to change I would consider doing it myself.

tech 09-22-2004 10:47 PM

RE: PCV problems

Did they tell you that the vent box needed to be replaced?That usually clogs with oil sludge over a period of time.The job isn't that bad if you some what know what you are doing.There is 1 special tool you will need or something close to it.It will take you probaly take you half the day.By the way is it turbo or non turbo?

woodrows80 10-08-2004 12:12 AM

My 2000 S-80 just started doing the same thing yesterday, after a 700 mile road trip. When you first start the car, it will not idle properly without stalling out. It works itself out of the problem if you can keep it running. There is ZERO throttle response during the fluctuation in RPM's while trying to let it idle.

tech 10-08-2004 01:54 AM

Woodrows80 yours could possibly be a throttle module acting up.If you still have warranty take it in and have them look at it.It should have set codes in the engine control module.

woodrows80 11-03-2004 01:31 AM

I just had the fuel filter replaced, which did nothing to the problem. I did just notice that when I put my foot on the break peddle at the same time that I have my foot on the throttle, the rpm's stop. This happens no whether the car is in Park, Neutral or Drive. Tech....Do you know if the throttle response module is expensive or hard to replace?

tech 11-03-2004 09:32 PM

The problem you are talking about with hitting the brake and the gas and nothing happens is something that happens when there are codes for the throttle body and or a bad throttle body.I believe that at the dealer it is about $1500.00 to have it replaced.The average person cant do it at home.Because after replacing the part it needs software downloaded from Volvo to make it work.If you want you can put it on the n tow it to the dealer and have the software downloaded for about $120.00 i think.Volvo kind of did bad going to electronic throttle bodys.I hope this helped.

woodrows80 11-05-2004 07:51 PM

I took the S-80 to a mechanic and had him clean and service the throttle body / electronic throttle module, and that seemed to take care of the problem. Thanks for the help.

tech 11-05-2004 09:26 PM

No problem any time thats what im here for.:D