Volvo S80 A performance sedan that offers top notch luxury, outstanding handling and so much more.

PCV system not working?

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2017, 03:57 PM
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PCV system not working?

I just found out that my pcv system isn't working on my 2000 S80 , I saw oil spots where I was parking and oil pan is wet. I pulled the dip stick out with engine running and oil vapors was escaping. So I'm guessing that the system isn't working. Question is how hard of a job is this for a back yard mechanic. Thank you again for your help.( Car has 125,000 miles)

Old 10-26-2017, 09:20 PM
Banned
Default Update

Originally Posted by e.mence440
I just found out that my pcv system isn't working on my 2000 S80 , I saw oil spots where I was parking and oil pan is wet. I pulled the dip stick out with engine running and oil vapors was escaping. So I'm guessing that the system isn't working. Question is how hard of a job is this for a back yard mechanic. Thank you again for your help.( Car has 125,000 miles)
I did find a thread on here and I'm not sure if I want to tackle the job. I did get the oil and filter changed today and am no longer getting the oil vapors coming from the dipstick tube, so I'm hoping that the oil change bought me some time to get the funds together to get the job done. I bought this car very cheap price, ($750) but I understand it will take some time and money with some patience. Just wondering if it's worth it.

Old 11-06-2017, 12:22 PM
Banned

Volvo quoted me $1200 to do the job to repair the PCV system. Obviously I don't have that kind of money. Is there a safe way to relieve the pressure from the crank case , until I figure out my next move.
thank you.

Old 11-08-2017, 08:44 AM

Originally Posted by e.mence440
Volvo quoted me $1200 to do the job to repair the PCV system. Obviously I don't have that kind of money. Is there a safe way to relieve the pressure from the crank case , until I figure out my next move.
thank you.
Like I mentioned in two of your other threads...repair costs for Volvo's and other higher end auto's are expensive...whether the work is done at the dealer or by you.

This PCV issue is only ONE issue your S80 has. Let's be real. Getting all the issue's fixed is going to add up to really big bucks. When all is said & done...you would have probably been able to purchase a 100% fine 2000 S80 with 125k miles for the same $$$$ or less than it's going to take to fix this 2000 S80.

Old 11-08-2017, 10:09 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by pigoo3
Like I mentioned in two of your other threads...repair costs for Volvo's and other higher end auto's are expensive...whether the work is done at the dealer or by you.

This PCV issue is only ONE issue your S80 has. Let's be real. Getting all the issue's fixed is going to add up to really big bucks. When all is said & done...you would have probably been able to purchase a 100% fine 2000 S80 with 125k miles for the same $$$$ or less than it's going to take to fix this 2000 S80.
I have been putting money away towards another car, but this one has to last me a few more months (till June or July) I probably won't fix everything after realizing the how much everything will be to fix it. I thank you for your honest opinion. And when I'm done with the car it will go to the Bone yard so no other poor lad won't end up with this car.

Old 11-08-2017, 11:30 AM

Sounds like a good plan. Hopefully it doesn't let you down...and remains driveable until June/July. Good luck...fingers crossed.

Old 11-08-2017, 08:11 PM
Received 41 Likes on 40 Posts

I think you can ignore that until you get the more immediate issues fixed. As you can imagine, most people that own Volvos didn't do a rubber glove test today. there are no doubt thousands running around today that could use a PCV overhaul.

Old 11-08-2017, 08:40 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by firebirdparts
I think you can ignore that until you get the more immediate issues fixed. As you can imagine, most people that own Volvos didn't do a rubber glove test today. there are no doubt thousands running around today that could use a PCV overhaul.
I have pulled the dipstick out slightly to allow it to breathe a little better, I just have to put the window down a bit so I don't have to smell the fumes. I did check the timing belt condition and asked one the mechanics to take a look and he said I should be able to rest easy till spring time. ( belt only has 15,000 miles on it but was done 7 years ago) . Otherwise the car has been running pretty good.
Thank you everyone for all of your help.