Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum

Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum (https://volvoforums.com/forum/)
-   Volvo S80 (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-s80-18/)
-   -   possessed Volvo - HELP!! (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-s80-18/possessed-volvo-help-5640/)

jerryman 05-04-2006 02:35 PM

possessed Volvo - HELP!!

First thanks for your site, it has helped me more then any other getting my car problems fixed. Second

here are the indications I have on my 2000 s80 t-6. The ASA Volvo tech reset everything and it was fine while it was at the mech. But as you can see below, funny stuff is happening.

Does this sound like the ECM has gone wacky? It looks like none of this stuff is ready bad because it comes and goes and I have had everything checked. IE: I get the power steering fail, yet it has plenty of fluid, works, doesn't leak and makes no noises.

Help.
5/2
Picked up car, abs light on, messages , brake -stc-abs-power steering fail.
At about 3 miles, Check engine light came on. Cruise control, inop.

5/3
Dove car to work, only lights on check engine, Cruise control working.
At lunch, no lights at all, everything working.

Drive home, abs, brake messages on, cruise inop again. Get home, program garage door opener, just for the heck of it, disconnected batter ( cables were loose) to see if would reset engine light. Start car no lights, but realized that visor lights, garage door opener and sunroof inop, disconnected battery again, idiot lights and messages all back, but still no sunroof. Check fuses, all were ok, went back to battery, just disconnected the small lead, looked through the back window at visor light, as I touched the lead, lights came on then immediately went out. Took fuses out, reconnected small lead, put fuses in, lights and sunroof started working again.

5/4 back to usual, abs, brake, sts, power steering, engine lights all on, cruise control inop, but lights and sunroof work ok.

tech 05-04-2006 09:05 PM

RE: possessed Volvo - HELP!!

Bad ABS module. I am 99.5% sure without even seeing the car.
Does the speedo ever stop when the lights are on?
Is there anything else that happens when the lights come on?

jerryman 05-05-2006 01:09 PM

The speedo works, but I do notice when things happen, the trip computer and the T1/T2 odo reset or have ----. Sometimes the Avg MPG will show 23mpg, then I stop, turn off the car, get back in, then is shows 13 or 16 or anything it likes. I also now am getting an alarm system message which comes and goes. Drives me crazy.. The car has an extended warranty, and from what I understand some kind of 8 year, 80000 mile on some parts. Guess I will take it in to a dealership and see what they can do. Just spent 2 grand on 60k service and from end parts. I am begining to hate this car. Ohh thanks for the tips on the board about the oil leaks on the sump pan. Hate the smell of oil, got under the car yesterday and their is oil all over the skid plate from about halfway. Guess it could still be a turbo line, but couldn't get under far enough to check..

Thanks..

gordon368 05-05-2006 01:33 PM

Could it be a low voltage from the battery? .....Thats what happened to me, ABS STC and Brake light intermittantly flashed....

tech 05-05-2006 08:48 PM

Yes sounds like the ABS module.
The Alarm message is most likely a bad Siren.
The oil leak have they looked at it before?

jerryman 05-08-2006 05:45 PM

No have not looked at oil leak. At first it looke like sump, but I looked at it this weekend when i replaced the brake rotors and pads.

Funny thing about the light, it was colder on saturday in dallas this week, so "NO LIGHTS OR MESSAGES" until guess when? When I started driving and the temp under the hood started to warm up.

I also believe 100% you are right about the ABS. I have an extened warranty, $100 deductible, but I saw on ebay, a guys will fix the ABS module for $79.00 and warranty it. Do you have any info on these fixes?

PS: got the brake disks for $60 each at www.autopartswarehouse.com and $50 for the pads.
Dealer wanted $500.00 for the job

tech 05-08-2006 09:14 PM

I always hear of people getting them rebuilt and not having anymore problems.

From what I hear they go bad due to the Engine heat. There is a heat sheild in the module but it is very thin thats why they go bad.
When they rebuild them they install a better heat sheild and repair the circuit board.

The best thing you can do for now is to find more things wrong on the car and have them fixed under warranty and only pay the $100.00 to get it all fixed.

Check your upper torque mount and Axle boots ETC (stuff you know they will cover)

jerryman 05-09-2006 01:58 PM

Too late, already had those done when the front end was gone though. about 2 weeks ago. The tech wanted to wait on the ABS stuff because the insurance was asking all kinds of maint questions. Are these cars just junk, or are they pretty good cars?

I found a really good extended warranty from Warranty 4 Wheels which covers:

Vehicle: 2000 Volvo T-6
> Mileage: 61000
> Plan: W4W Super listed component coverage
> Term: 4 years from today and 60,000 additional miles on the
>odometer.
> Deductible: $0 and wear and tear coverage.
> Features: Towing, rental car, road- side assistance, seals,
>gaskets and full parts and labor replacement are included. Based on
>contract guidelines.
> Discounts: $250.00
> Your quote: $2125
> Payments: $237.50 down and 12 equal monthly payments of $178.13
> Valid until: 6/05/06
>
>
> This is the most comprehensive coverage available for your vehicle. We
>do have simpler and less expensive extended service agreements. Please feel
>free to contact us if you want a new quote or have any questions about this
>quote. My number is 623-935-7988, fax 623-535-8882, or toll free at 1
>877-844-7283
>
Does this sound like a fair deal? Does to me, just one ABS module pays for half.

If anyone uses them, please use my name Jerry Colliver for discount and referral.

tech 05-09-2006 09:06 PM

That sounds pretty good.

These cars are pretty good alot of people like them.