Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum

Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum (https://volvoforums.com/forum/)
-   Volvo S80 (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-s80-18/)
-   -   Power steering Dip Stick indicator (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-s80-18/power-steering-dip-stick-indicator-18115/)

dkvcopy 03-05-2008 07:40 AM

Power steering Dip Stick indicator

Hello Everyone,
Thank u guys for all your help, info & replies in my previous threads. M driving a 2001 S80 2.0T silver color. I've browse all forums on s80 & s60 regarding the dip stick indicator of the power steering fluid. Now m facing the power steering fluid is over flowing from the cap area after driving. I've already change the cap & double check all hoses...but it is still over flowing around the cap area only. My question is how do u see the dip stick of the power steering ?

1) ADD...this...i understand
2) FULL / COLD...i poured the power steering fluid into the container when the engine is NOT running for 8 long hours (Is this correct?)
3) HOT ......the fluid indicator should read at the HOT level during the engine is idle for about 10minutes (is this correct?)

All replies & info would be highly appreciated as previously was driving a >330bhp Mitsubishi Evolution 3 whereby the power steering dip stick indicator has only Min level & Max level

[IMG]local://upfiles/14965/7FA1E0180A5E4E0CB1538A6FA5009B14.jpg[/IMG]

tech 03-05-2008 06:48 PM

RE: Power steering Dip Stick indicator

That sounds about right. But usually it takes longer to heat it up to the hot position.

dkvcopy 03-06-2008 07:35 AM

ORIGINAL: tech

That sounds about right. But usually it takes longer to heat it up to the hot position.
Thanks Tech for your kind reply. Damn it...the power steering fluid seems to be over flowing at the cap area (Pls see picture below). I have already change the whole cap & double check all hoses....everything seems fine...but it is still over flowing. Don't tell me that the new cap is faulty again. It can't be the fluid container as it seems ok too :-( Any other suggestion or has anyone face this problem before.

[IMG]local://upfiles/14965/07C278E6EB544306AB0C96974C99A12D.jpg[/IMG]

tech 03-06-2008 07:26 PM

Look inside the bottle good with a flash light. Do you see a plastic pipe coming from the bottle down in the area where the small hose attaches at the back of the bottle?

dkvcopy 03-08-2008 01:21 AM

Look inside the bottle good with a flash light. Do you see a plastic pipe coming from the bottle down in the area where the small hose attaches at the back of the bottle?
Hi Tech,
Extremely sorry for the late reply as was working quite late. Anyway...pls see pix below...is this the plastic pipe that u r talking about ? Is it ok...coz there's a crack that i can see it.

[IMG]local://upfiles/14965/3ECEC8CEDBEA4C47A94B8054B50A141D.jpg[/IMG]

tech 03-08-2008 06:07 AM

The bottle is starting to come apart. If you can try sliding the black part back and see if that helps.
If fluid is leaking from between the copper part and the black pipe it could be building extra pressure and also shooting it right up at the cap.

dkvcopy 03-12-2008 08:46 AM

The bottle is starting to come apart. If you can try sliding the black part back and see if that helps.
If fluid is leaking from between the copper part and the black pipe it could be building extra pressure and also shooting it right up at the cap.
Thanks Techfor your kind info...after changing the whole container...there's no more leakage. M so glad that we have someone like you to help& guide us :-)