Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum

Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum (https://volvoforums.com/forum/)
-   Volvo S80 (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-s80-18/)
-   -   Power Steering Fluid (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-s80-18/power-steering-fluid-16276/)

gordon368 12-28-2007 01:47 PM

Power Steering Fluid

After a drive, I checked my power steering fluid, and all I could see in it was yellowy brown foam, is this mean there is a leak somewhere?

This was also accompanied by the steering wheel making many noises.

tech 12-28-2007 10:15 PM

RE: Power Steering Fluid

Either you have a power steering leak or a bad fluid bottle.
Look in there with a flashlight where the small hose goes into the back of the bottle. Do you see a plastic pipe going from the hose to the bottom of the bottle?
Or do you just see a small copper pipe?

gordon368 12-30-2007 10:09 PM

Fluid is Dark Brown, almost like molasses, cannot see through it with the flash light lol, I will bring it to volvo tommorow.

tech 12-31-2007 05:02 PM

Ok let us know how it goes.

gordon368 12-31-2007 07:39 PM

Looks Like I needed some clamps on the power steering tubing,

They recommended a Transmission flush, So I got that done as well (190$). Boy, I cant believe how much a difference the flush made, I cant feel the car shift anymore, and the acceleration is more sensative, how ever I felt a new feeling, sort of like as if the bottom fell out while it shifted (happened twice on the way home, other than that ran perfect..

Thanks again tech and all, and I wish you a happy new year

nicolaselias 01-26-2008 04:48 AM

I checked my power steering fluid last week and I found it strangely low, near the cold low mark so I went to the volvo dealer in the aim of buyin a new bottle before a road trip across FL... when the guy at the dealer (Volvo of Tampa) heard what I needed it for he just gave me a half used bottle from the service area for free.. so i topped up and all is well, im just wondering what colour is an acceptible one when observing the power steering fluid..
thanks

tech 01-26-2008 09:09 AM

The OEM stuff is Green.

nicolaselias 01-27-2008 03:53 AM

I was looking at the fluid in the fluid bottle and it appeared relatively brown, very very slight metallic smell.. is this normal or would it be time for a flush and change? I have a full bottle of pentosin power steering fluid (volvo reccomended brand) bought on rockauto.com for 20 or so... i have enough to do a full flush and topup..., if necessary, il change the filter also

BillA 01-27-2008 06:08 AM

To the best of my knowledge there is no filter.

nicolaselias 01-27-2008 06:21 AM

Oops. i forgot that... Wel, udging by my description, does it sound ok or should i flush the entire system? If anything, il take a picture of it to give it a show on the forum

tech 01-27-2008 09:18 AM

You could change it if you really want to. Someone before you might have mixed brands thats why it looks like that. The fluids have a weird smell to them.

tech 01-28-2008 07:52 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Here is some pics of what to look for inside the bottle.
Good bottle.
Attachment 23962

Attachment 23963

Bad bottle.
Attachment 23964

Attachment 23965

And if you remove the hose you will see the pipe sticking out like in this pic.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...ottle003-1.jpg

gordon368 01-29-2008 06:53 PM

O.o I get it, thats a nice coffe mug :)

tech 01-29-2008 07:48 PM

Yah it is the wifes mug!!!

nicolaselias 02-03-2008 01:24 PM

Thats odd though, now that iv finally assumed there is no filter, i see it selling on rockatuo specific to my car. I dont know where they found that if there isnt any... I think im noticing some fluid bubbling over the top of the lid a bit.. Maybe I overfulled it last time without realising? Im not actually seeing fluid mind you, just things around the cap looking like fluid stains.. The seal still looks to be good though so i dont know whats the status

cebured 02-15-2008 02:59 PM

Tech- got the same problem as the original poster-noise & foaming. Started early this week but no leaks. Saw your pics above- here is a pic of my bottle. Does this mean the plastic bit is lurking somewhere at the bottom of the Bottle ? & can I refit it ?

cebured 02-15-2008 03:11 PM

Oops-photo didnt upload ! But it isjust the tube- no plastic bit on the end!

cebured 02-15-2008 03:15 PM

Problems uploading photo!

[IMG]local://upfiles/14866/3453F6EF92AB47528FA2F9DD73238FE0.jpg[/IMG]

tech 02-15-2008 06:43 PM

Bottle is bad.

cebured 02-16-2008 06:56 AM

Thanks tech- drained the bottle this morning- found the right angled plastic pipe & after fiddling about for an hour with 1 finger manged to reattach it. (should have been a gynacolologist!) Dont know how long it will last- filled up the bottle with fresh fluid & the cars a good `un. No noise- no foam & steering lighter than I ever remember it.
Saved me a fortune in garage bills-& if it goes again Ill just get a new bottle.