Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum

Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum (https://volvoforums.com/forum/)
-   Volvo S80 (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-s80-18/)
-   -   Problems With S80 Door Lock Assemblies (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-s80-18/problems-s80-door-lock-assemblies-28275/)

DeathOfAllThings 03-09-2009 12:33 AM

Problems With S80 Door Lock Assemblies

Ok... so my girlfrend bought a 2000 S80 T6 about 100k miles. About a week after she got it the rear drivers side door started to make a loud reciprocating noise everytime she hit the lock or unlock button, both in the car and on the keyfob. It basically sounds like the lock trying to lock and unlock extremely rapidly about 10 times or so. For awhile the door still locked and unlocked even though it made that noise. Eventually it stopped working completely but still made the noise all the time. I decided to unplug the lock assembly so at least it wouldn't be making that horrible noise everytime she hit the lock button. So she lived with having to unlock the driver's side back door manually. So about 5 months has passed since then, and now the driver's side front door is making the noise. I'm worried this one is going to break completely as well, which would be much more of an inconvinience than a back door. Does anyone know what the cause of this problem is? I pretty much assumed the lock assembly is shot and will need to be replaced.

I've also noticed that there are a lot of S70 lock assemblies on ebay, does anyone happen to know if they are the same assembly as the S80? I'm sure that would be all too lucky for me, but anything's possible.

abflip567 03-09-2009 06:37 AM

i dont think that the s70 one will fit the s80, but i may have the lock mechanism from an old s80 door that i had, but only the drivers door. i can check and get back to you. and if i have it would you want to purchase this from me?

Johnny Mullet 03-09-2009 08:50 AM

The lock actuators are a common problem and you need to replace them.

nertil1 03-09-2009 10:20 AM

I am having the exact same problem. I have a question though, where is the lock assembly located so I can unplug it? Does anyone know where you can purchase the lock actuator and how to replace them?

Thanks a lot

Johnny Mullet 03-09-2009 10:23 AM

Remove the door panel and you will find it in there. Get the parts from a Volvo dealer.

nertil1 03-09-2009 10:27 AM

would unlocking the door with the key still work then? This may be a stupid question

tech 03-09-2009 06:50 PM

If you unplug it only the drivers side will unlock.

DeathOfAllThings 03-10-2009 02:29 AM

Originally Posted by nertil1 (Post 148048)
would unlocking the door with the key still work then? This may be a stupid question

Yeah, keys will still lock and unlock the doors fine if the actuator is unplugged or completely dead. The problem is there is no keyhole for the back doors... so everytime she wants to unlock that door she has to climb in from the passenger side back door. It's kind of a pain in the butt. I guess I'll have to look into getting new ones at the dealership... I'm sure that will be cheap...

nertil1 03-23-2009 07:35 AM

Well, just to let you guys know, I had the whole lock assembly replaced on the drives side door. The cost for the part was about 130 and the work was 190. I could have done the work myself but I didn't want to mess with the door locks and risk getting locked out of my car or worse not being able to lock my door.

DeathOfAllThings 03-24-2009 10:44 AM

I actually ended up getting an xc90 lock assembly off ebay for 65 bucks and installed it myself. Works perfectly.