Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum

Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum (https://volvoforums.com/forum/)
-   Volvo S80 (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-s80-18/)
-   -   Programming a Key FOB (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-s80-18/programming-key-fob-16850/)

jstone 01-20-2008 08:33 AM

Programming a Key FOB

My wife dropped the original key FOB in her coffee! I bought a new one on-line ($20 vs $140 from the dealer). Does anyone know how/if I can program the replacement FOB myself. Vehicle is a 1999 S80, number on the back of the FOB - 9459368 (same as the original one).

Thanks
Jeff

tech 01-20-2008 09:34 AM

RE: Programming a Key FOB

You can't program it only the Dealer can.
If you bought it off of E-bay and didn't get the barcode sticker with the program Numbers then that remove is only as good as the one that was dropped in the coffee.

rotgut 01-20-2008 01:08 PM

I needed a remote for my 2000 s-80, I too bought one off e-bay, seller said, " guarenteed to work, dont pay dealer prices, tech help with every sale" then when I got it and found out it was useless with out the eight digit code the seller then slammed the door shut on me, I did report the seller to e-bay and pay pal and did get my money back, but do yourself a favor and contact the dealer, or ask a question here before you leap, there are sellers who have the code you need, but you still have to go to the dealer to get the remote to work.

jstone 01-21-2008 10:48 AM

Thanks

jstone 01-21-2008 10:50 AM

Well, my seller made the same promise so I guess I now get to test it. More support for the adege, "if it sounds too good (or easy) to be true, it probably is".

Thanks

nicolaselias 01-26-2008 04:20 AM

Hi, I'm new here but reading online I was told not to trust ebay sellers and used remotes so I went online and got a brand new one for 75 (sealed from swedishautoparts.com) , roughly half of of the cost of the dealer.. however, im wondering if I could have saved some by getting a fob for less than 20 on ebay...
Now, I need to get a spare key and have both of them programmed... woe be unto me

rotgut 01-26-2008 04:31 PM

thinking about buying a cheap volvo fob on e-bay? start at the top of this thread and read down.

jstone 01-26-2008 06:00 PM

Just to close the loop....for grins I took the FOB to my local dealer to see if they could/would program it. Surprise, surprise, nope. Need a special code that comes with the remote when it is new (needless to say the used one I bought on ebay did not have this code with it). Like the idea of Swedishautoparts.com and will go that route now.

Thanks for all the input.

rotgut 01-26-2008 06:56 PM

Price the part you need on "volvo parts club" Buddy is a good guy and you just might save more money

nicolaselias 01-27-2008 03:47 AM

Looks like i made the righht call by going thru the normal channels.. now just to get that thing programmed..and the key! I want them to do all software updates at once when I go in, no need to come and go for those kind of things, so il get the fog lamps installed and the software updated..

nicolaselias 02-06-2008 12:43 AM

Unlucky for me, before calling the dealer i put down a 5 dollar bid on a volvo key blank on ebay, brand new sealed...
Unfortunately then I called the dealer and they said they have to get it done in california and then shipped to tampa so it would appear that I have a completely useless key blank although it is the correct one... bad luck that i eventually ended up winning the auction then...

tech 02-06-2008 07:34 PM

AS long as it is the proper part # then the Dealer can cut it and program it to the car.

nicolaselias 02-07-2008 12:21 AM

Well it is the proper part number, i made a point of checking that, but the dealer says they have it coded and cut in california and shipped to tampa or something to that effect so me having a blank is useless...
There must be some dealer around here who can do it... Im just tryign to save some money!

tech 02-07-2008 06:46 PM

The Dealer right down the street from my work should be able to do it.
I know they cut keys there.
They are the "Volvo Store"

nicolaselias 02-07-2008 09:14 PM

Can they program it also? This would save me an IMMENSE amount of time and hassle.....
Even better if they can program my remote also, thus cutting volvo of tampa out of the equation entirely

tech 02-07-2008 09:20 PM

They should be able to cut and program it at the same time. If you have all the info the remote as well.

nicolaselias 02-07-2008 09:41 PM

Well I already have the remote and it is the correct one, and the key is the correct one and it is on the way right now.. just need the cut and program for both... dealer wants a load for it so I figure i can do an all in one trip to orlando

tech 02-07-2008 10:18 PM

OK but make sure the remote is in the original package or atleast has the bar code and they will be able to program it.

nicolaselias 02-07-2008 10:28 PM

Yea, i boiught it from myswedishparts.com and its sealed in the original package with code.. cost me 75 but I made sure it was the correct thing.. the key on the otherhand was only 13 so i hope it can be used...
When I schedule to come up to orlando, probably we can arrange to go there and get it done at once... il keep in touch tech
On a side note, if you dont open on a weekend, can I do the mech work by you, and the key/alarm work at the dealer on the weekend, assuming they are open on wknds..
thanks

tech 02-09-2008 09:15 AM

Did you get the Private message I sent you?
If not go all the way to the top of the page and look for the word "Inbox" and click it then read the message I sent you.
Wer are not open on weekends but the Dealer is only open on Saturday.