Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum

Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum (https://volvoforums.com/forum/)
-   Volvo S80 (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-s80-18/)
-   -   purchased s80 with many problems (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-s80-18/purchased-s80-many-problems-940/)

dreamcars80 02-06-2005 04:47 PM

purchased s80 with many problems

hi, i am new to this forum and am hoping to get some advice. i just traded in a car i had for 7.5 years for a '99 s80 t6. i am thrilled, but am finding many problems.
1) idling problem. upon ignition, it idles up and down, dimming and brightening the lights, then just goes dead. if it's cold outside, it takes at least 4 tries to crank, but upon getting into drive, it doesn't go dead, but still idles when stopped. it also has a stalled acceleration upon pressing the gas.
2) many lights are on...abs brake service, check engine, stc light, and middle triangular hazard light.
3) trip computer not working as well as corresponding knobs and clock not working either....looks like --:-- but turning the knob doesn't do anything.

if anyone has any insight into these problems, i would greatly appreciate it. i saw some postings that sounded very similar to my problems. this volvo is what i've wanted since high school and i'm about to graduate from my masters program and would like to fix this car because then i won't have a car payment to interfere with loan repayment ;) i'd like to keep this one, but if it's going to prove to be too pricey, i'll have to go back to old faithful (thank goodness i'm friends with the dealer and he said he'd arrange for me to have my old car back if this doesn't work out)

also, if anyone is from atlanta and has any suggestions on where to take it for service, i would appreciate that info as well.

thanks so much in advance!!!

dreamcars80

dreamcars80 02-06-2005 04:52 PM

oh, i forgot

also, after searching through this forum, i see many things wrong with volvos. i'm sure it's because this site is only dedicated to volvos and of course, malfunctions happen, but is it worth it? does anyone suggest that i don't get a volvo?????

i'm torn!

tech 02-06-2005 09:15 PM

RE: oh, i forgot

The idle surging problem is either a dirty throttle body or a bad throttle body.The ABS and the STS is probably a bad ABS module.You can remove it your self and send it out and have it rebuilt.Are you sure it is the trip computer not working and it is the clock?Did you try turning both of the little knobs?Overall Volvo is a pretty good car you will have some negative commants no matter which company you look at.

dreamcars80 02-06-2005 10:52 PM

thanks so much. well, i turned both knobs, for the clock and trip computer, and both didn't do anything. no change on either display. so, who knows...

tech 02-07-2005 10:34 AM

The car might need to have some of the faults cleared and have a software upgrade done to the car.When 1 thing goes wrong in teh car it can affect many things.The entire car works on a network.

dreamcars80 02-07-2005 10:37 AM

thanks so much. i'll take these new vocabulary words to the service shop :)

tech 02-07-2005 10:41 AM

Let me know how you make out.Another thing is if the battery had been run dead and jump started that also plays hell on the computer system.Most dealers will only charge 1 hour to check things out and let you know what is wrong.Tell them you are looking to buy the car and you need them to do an inspection for you.

dreamcars80 02-10-2005 09:31 AM

hey, thanks so much! you were exactly right! it was a dirty throttle body. it purrs like a kitten now! they couldn't get the abs brake lights to go out even after resetting them, so they've ordered some part, that is pretty pricey, but they are going to try that.
again, thank you so much for your responses. they were so helpful and right on the money!

tech 02-10-2005 10:03 AM

No problem anytime:D