Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum

Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum (https://volvoforums.com/forum/)
-   Volvo S80 (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-s80-18/)
-   -   question about changing the power steering reservior (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-s80-18/question-about-changing-power-steering-reservior-21125/)

robnov 06-28-2008 12:08 PM

question about changing the power steering reservior

1999 S80 2.9

Ive been meaning to replace my power steering reservior due to the return valve breaking inside and oxidizing the fluid for a little while now, and I finally ordered and got it.

Anyways, you know those little silver wrap around clip sort of things that hold the hose going into the topreservior? What are those things called? Im not sure if I can reuse it when I take the hose off the old one, so Im wondering the name in case I have to buy new one.

Is there anything I need to know about changing the reservior that isnt common sense?

Also, can I use any ATF or should I make the somewhat long drive to the nearest volvo dealership and pick up a bottle of the official stuff they recommend?

Any info is appriciated,

Thanks in advance

silencecom 06-28-2008 12:26 PM

RE: question about changing the power steering reservior

Hi, those clips should be used only once however i have reused a few of them.. i dont think i would reuse them on the power steering system or anything else that uses a pressurised system. to get them off i use needle nose pliers and grap the raised part and twist it and play with it until it comes loose.. i would go get some regular hose clamps that are adjustable and install those. the resivour clips into the cooland bottle and on my car was a bit of a pain to remove but it could just be mine.. i think there is a screw holding the coolant tank in so if you remove the screw you should beable to lift both bottles up to help separate them..

silencecom 06-28-2008 12:39 PM

now that u mention the fluid type you have me wondering also...... i just topped mine off with "power steering fluid" but im wondering if that what i should have used and if thats what was in it.. so i am interested in this answer also.

tech 06-29-2008 08:30 AM

You CANNOT use power steering fluid. The car calls for a synthetic power steering fluid.
I know Vavoline makes some Wynn also makes some. I forget what we are using now at work just changed to a new supplier. But the OEM stuff and what we use now are Green in color.

silencecom 06-29-2008 01:27 PM

so i guess i need to get a turkey baster and start changing it out..

fs 06-29-2008 04:54 PM

ORIGINAL: silencecom

so i guess i need to get a turkey baster and start changing it out..
You need two people, one to watch fluid, one to start/turn off car.

Unhook the return line and make it exit into a milk jug or something(cap the plug on reservoir).....pour in new fluid and watch the return line....when it becomes clean like the new fluid turn off the car and hook lines back up.

robnov 06-29-2008 05:31 PM

How come the manual just says power steering fluid "ATF" type? While for example BRake fluid says something like only use volvo fluid?

Also, does anyone know what those clips are called? Any special name for them?

Anyways, thanks for the info guys.

tech 06-29-2008 05:37 PM

Not sure why the manuaul says that. But it takes a special fluid.
If you are talking about the clamps just buy regular screw clamps. They will work better.

silencecom 06-29-2008 10:28 PM

hmmm ok......well i did the turkey baster thing and added atf cause thats what my manual said... i guess im still wrong.. why the heck does there need to be such a lack of information and such a PITA just to figure out what fluids to use in the car.. I shouldnt have to come to a forum to figure out power steering fluid... even from the forum all i can gather is that it takes a "special fluid" (nothing against you tech you are great) but this is BS. i guess im just gonna keep the RED ATF i have in there now im dun screwing with this car.. it steers and it dont make noise. while i got ya here check this out.. my volvo dodged hail today.. http://www.youtube.com/user/silencecom

HummerGuy 06-30-2008 11:54 AM

When I bought mine, I used the Valvoline ATF synthetic power steering fluid tech mentioned. I had some left over from my other cars. It's been working great but I've only had it a week. You can't miss it. It has a big ATF right on the bottle.

robnov 06-30-2008 05:26 PM

I think im going to just grab the official volvo stuff. Thanks for all the info.

tech 06-30-2008 08:12 PM

ORIGINAL: silencecom

hmmm ok......well i did the turkey baster thing and added atf cause thats what my manual said... i guess im still wrong.. why the heck does there need to be such a lack of information and such a PITA just to figure out what fluids to use in the car.. I shouldnt have to come to a forum to figure out power steering fluid... even from the forum all i can gather is that it takes a "special fluid" (nothing against you tech you are great) but this is BS. i guess im just gonna keep the RED ATF i have in there now im dun screwing with this car.. it steers and it dont make noise. while i got ya here check this out.. my volvo dodged hail today.. http://www.youtube.com/user/silencecom
Our weather was pretty much the same way here today. Looked like a hurricane was coming ashore today Dark black sky and tons of lightning.

robnov 07-01-2008 03:34 PM

Bit of an update. So I called my volvo dealer parts shop, two different ones actually, and asked them if they carry volvo ATF power steering fluid. The first guy told me that they only carry the new synthetic stuff for later model s80's and the "ATF" stuff they dont sell, they just have it in bulk 50 gallon barrels. The second dealership told me the same thing but he said early models, such as my 1999 s80 just take regular ATF power steering fluid and not the synthetic stuff.

Does this sound right? I just want to be 100% sure of what Im putting in there. Maybe the 1999 takes regular ATF and then they switched to the green synthetic stuff?

tech 07-01-2008 06:48 PM

All the cars I have seen from 1999 to present came with the green synthetic fluid.
If you can wait one more day I will get the brand we use tomorrow and let you know.
I actually think gunk makes it. The same company that makes the spray engine cleaner. It is the european power steering fluid and it is green. Same as the Volvo stuff.

robnov 07-01-2008 06:59 PM

Alright, I look forward to your reply. Thanks again.

tech 07-01-2008 07:19 PM

http://www.gunk.com/CAT_M2712SYN.asp
This is what we use I found it online.

robnov 07-02-2008 03:42 PM

Ok tech thanks a bunch. Im told that my volvo dealership sells the stuff in a 1 liter bottle. I assume thats enough to fill the resevior correct?

tech 07-02-2008 05:52 PM

That should be enough.

robnov 07-02-2008 08:14 PM

Thanks again for all your help as always

tech 07-02-2008 08:18 PM

No problem anytime.