Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum

Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum (https://volvoforums.com/forum/)
-   Volvo S80 (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-s80-18/)
-   -   Questions for Tech....... (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-s80-18/questions-tech-6407/)

OverTheTop 06-22-2006 01:44 AM

Questions for Tech.......

Hey Tech, First I want to thank you for all the hard work you do for all of us S80 guys.

So I have a couple questions about my 99 S80 T6. I have kinda read here and there with other peoples problem and mine. So in one of your post you talked about is the car at an idle has a, I guess variant idle. You said it might be the throttle body and they will replace it under warranty? Basically when I am say at a stop light somethings the car will lung forward a bit maybe jump to 1500 rpms. Does that sound like the throttle body?

Also my car has these weird power cycles, I call them that cause sometime my car has no power it seems, like it cant get out of its own way. But then sometimes the thing is like a rocket ship and takes off feeling full boost from the turbos and everything. I have done a tune up and service so do you think maybe that the car needs a computer upgrade?

Is there any easy way to get the airbag lights reset or is that a dealer thing?

Do you know if Optima makes a yellow top battery that will work on the S80?

Thanks again!!

tech 06-22-2006 01:48 AM

RE: Questions for Tech.......

I would say Both the top ones are part of the throttle problem.
But the Dealers are starting to give a Hard time at first.
Make sure the throttle body is clean and the Vent box isn't clogged.

Then they will do the Software no problem.

Air bag = Dealer

I have heard of people having them.(battery)

OverTheTop 06-22-2006 01:50 AM

Is there an easy way to clean the throttle body? Where the vent box? Not the air box?

tech 06-22-2006 02:02 AM

You would have to remove the throttle body to clean it.
The vent box is under the intake behind the A/C compressor hard to get to. (Did one today).
But you can blow compressed air into the Dipstick hole and if it comes out the filler cap with the cap removed it is not clogged.

No not the Air box.

nick54 06-22-2006 11:04 PM

Also my car has these weird power cycles, I call them that cause sometime my car has no power it seems, like it cant get out of its own way. But then sometimes the thing is like a rocket ship and takes off feeling full boost from the turbos and everything. I have done a tune up and service so do you think maybe that the car needs a computer upgrade?
I've been having the same problem. At first I was having the idling issues and surging as stop lights like you are. So I took it to the dealer and they did a free software upgrade on it, which made the weird idling and surging stop. But now I'm having the same problem you discribed with the weird power cycles. I have a feeling its the ETM again...but I think I'd have a hard time getting the dealer to replace it just by telling them that.

gordon368 06-24-2006 02:50 AM

tech if it is the throttle body,

Wouldnt the Emmissions system service light and check engine light come on?

I got mine to come on when Id use the turbo, and itd come on infrequently, but it would flash.. that was enough for them to replace it because they were able to pull the codes...

tech 06-27-2006 12:34 AM

It won't always set codes.

OverTheTop 06-27-2006 12:26 PM

So i talked to Volvo Customer Service and they told me that the Throttle body and software upgrade was good now for 10 years or 200,000 miles. I explained to him what was going on and he said yes it sound like the throttle body and to just take it in to the dealer and they will look at it. If they feel it only needs to be cleaned they will do that under the warrenty also. I told them that at idle it surges forward, intermitant power and that sometimes the check engine light will come on with Emmissions system service message but will go off. He said sound like both the software needs an upgrade and also the throttle body. So I am taking it in and seeing what happens. I will keep you all up dated.

Also Tech, I was putting new plugs in the other day and when I took the air pipes off i noticed alot of oil in the tube, not like dripping but there was oil in there. Is this common on the turbos? where is it coming from the turbos? What does it take to fix it? Thanks for the help!!

tech 06-27-2006 08:40 PM

The oil will be found on almost every car out there.
It is slight blowby at the turbo's.

It is no big deal.

All the new cars come with a really small hole in the bottom of the intercooler for the oil to drain by itself.

gordon368 06-28-2006 01:55 AM

it took them 3 hrs to read the codes, replace the throttle body, and do software........just a heads up lol!

studd34000 06-29-2006 05:06 PM

oh man that sucks did they charge you an arm and a leg for labor

gordon368 06-30-2006 02:41 AM

it was done all under warranty, it was part of the 10years 200,000 warranty...

guy said it would have ran me around a grand at the least, and it was done under warranty..

OverTheTop 06-30-2006 04:00 PM

So I took it in but they first only did a software upgrade. It did fix the surging but everything else stayed the same. So I called and they told me to bring it back in and this time they will clean it, if that doesnt work they will replace it. So I will keep you all updated. All the work is being done under the 10yr/200,000mi warranty and they are charging me $0.00