Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum

Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum (https://volvoforums.com/forum/)
-   Volvo S80 (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-s80-18/)
-   -   Removing the Volvo symbol-front grill (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-s80-18/removing-volvo-symbol-front-grill-35546/)

imhereftw 10-18-2009 07:20 PM

Removing the Volvo symbol-front grill

Any ideas on how to remove the volvo symbol and cross peice from the grill of a 2004 s80?

I can't seem to find any guides and I can't seem to get it off unless I wanted to break something.

Somthngfrce 10-18-2009 08:16 PM

You might want to heat the back of the symbol with a heat gun or blow dryer (on high for blow dryer) to make the glue tacky........ What r u planing on doing?

Debadged_S70 10-18-2009 09:05 PM

**EDIT: just read it was for a grill, not sure, sorry about that.

I debadged my car

You will need:

Blowdryer
Gasoline (enough to fill a water bottle)
Dental Floss
Water

What you will do:

Blowdry letter by letter, putting the dental floss and jimmy-ing with it (as if your flossing your teeth). Careful though, you will burn your fingers abit, trust me, i know. lol

Thats basically how u get it off.

Then, to deal with the glue residue, you take a cloth and u damp it with the gasoline and you use some elbow grease.

Depending on how much glue, it might take 5 mins or 15mins.

Repeat process til the end.

Make sure you scrub hard to get rid of all the glue, or you'll be left with siding of your badge, which sucks.

You use the water to clean it up at the end or during the scrubbing to see where your at and to clean the surface.

Hope it goes well.

Its real easy.

Somthngfrce 10-18-2009 09:08 PM

The above will work great on trunk badges and fenders but the member is asking about the badge on the grill between the slash.

imhereftw 10-19-2009 08:46 AM

Well I was looking to debadge the s80 on the trunk as well so thanks for that but the front grill will be a little bit more of a challenge. I've seen a picture of an s80 on sweedespeed, they took the grille completely out and maybe if I could get the grill out I could get the badge off easier?

air force rascal 10-19-2009 09:02 AM

Sounds to me like your going to have to fill in the Holes in the trunk lid after you take off the letters and emblems....then re-paint it..is it worth the time and money to do that...?
Sounds kinda retarded to me....LOL

imhereftw 10-19-2009 01:21 PM

What holes are you talking about? they're just glued on to the trunk.

Somthngfrce 10-19-2009 02:00 PM

Yes, the lettering is held by an adhesive so it should come off! BTW, if you manage to take the Volvo badge off the front in the next 5 days and are going to toss it, I am looking for one to change my old Volvo one for the updated one! Let me know if you're just going to toss it.........

Debadged_S70 10-19-2009 03:36 PM

Originally Posted by Somthngfrce (Post 187892)
The above will work great on trunk badges and fenders but the member is asking about the badge on the grill between the slash.

Ya, saw that at the end :/ Edited it though.

And ya, its only held on my adhesive, so no painting and bondo work required

imhereftw 10-19-2009 05:51 PM

Originally Posted by Somthngfrce (Post 188018)
Yes, the lettering is held by an adhesive so it should come off! BTW, if you manage to take the Volvo badge off the front in the next 5 days and are going to toss it, I am looking for one to change my old Volvo one for the updated one! Let me know if you're just going to toss it.........

Doubt I'll toss it, but I'll let you know! So I can't seem to figure out anyway to get my front grille off, with out breaking anything that is. But it seems like it's just sitting in there, I'm going to go over to sweedespeed and pm the guy who took his out completely.

I'm sure if I can get the grill out the badge would be easier to remove

andrei3333 10-19-2009 07:30 PM

what are you going to install in its spot after you remove it ? cause youre going to have a round groove left over from where the emblem sits ..

imhereftw 10-19-2009 07:35 PM

yeah, I was just thinking that when I saw a picture of a car that had it done, so I'm thinking of just an entire new grill now. only problem is there aren't a whole lot of s80 grills out there

andrei3333 10-19-2009 07:48 PM

no there arent

Somthngfrce 10-19-2009 08:19 PM

Most of the ones that have the emblem taken off, have that hole. On the S80's the best bet is to change the grill out all together with an egg crate or something else to look clean and consistant.

imhereftw 10-19-2009 08:24 PM

Yeah, I've got that figured out now, just where to find one is the problem.