Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum

Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum (https://volvoforums.com/forum/)
-   Volvo S80 (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-s80-18/)
-   -   S80 2001 2.0T - Transmission gear engaged in 2 seconds (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-s80-18/s80-2001-2-0t-transmission-gear-engaged-2-seconds-26693/)

dkvcopy 01-19-2009 03:06 AM

S80 2001 2.0T - Transmission gear engaged in 2 seconds

Hello to allout there,
i really love the pleasure of driving my volvo. In august 2008 i had the transmission service using ori volvo gear box oil & also change a brand new clutch set kit. Now i recently notice that from N - D or N - R...the gear box engaged slowly. It will take about 2-3 seconds for the gear to engaged it. Asking advice from all out there...has anyone of you ever encountered this problem on your gear box before...what's the solution. BTW there's no error code found on the display panel. Need advice asap...Thank you in advance

tech 01-19-2009 08:08 AM

RE: S80 2001 2.0T - Transmission gear engaged in 2 seconds

Fluid level full?

dkvcopy 01-20-2009 06:19 AM

ORIGINAL: tech

Fluid level full?
Hi there Tech,
Its good to hear from you again. The answer is YES...the transmission fluid is slightly above the HOT Level of the dip stick during the egine is not on warm up mode. Pls advice & hope to hear from you real soon.

tech 01-20-2009 08:11 AM

If it is slightly above the Hot mark when the car is at normal operating temp for a little while you might have a little to much. You might need to remove a little bit.

Also has the car had any transmission software upgrades lately? If not it may need one.

dkvcopy 01-21-2009 08:02 AM

If it is slightly above the Hot mark when the car is at normal operating temp for a little while you might have a little to much. You might need to remove a little bit.

Also has the car had any transmission software upgrades lately? If not it may need one.

Hi there Tech,
Thank u for your reply. I've already drain out some of the transmission fluid & i did call 3 volvo offices in different statesasking them about the software update for the tranny. They only told me that there's no software up date here in Malaysia. The only software available is only when we changed to a whole new set of the gear box. This software only installs once during the purchase of a brand new car. I've also check with other volvo owners in Malaysia...they also told me the same thing. Needmore info & advice pppllleeeaassseee

tech 01-21-2009 08:06 AM

Exactly how long ago was teh work done?
The tranny's are supposed to be reset when parts are replaced. Also they are supposed to be run through a specific sequence to adapt the computer. If not it might take a couple of weeks for the tranny computer to learn everything properly and all to shift normally.

dkvcopy 01-22-2009 07:12 AM

Exactly how long ago was teh work done?
The tranny's are supposed to be reset when parts are replaced. Also they are supposed to be run through a specific sequence to adapt the computer. If not it might take a couple of weeks for the tranny computer to learn everything properly and all to shift normally.

Hello again Tech,
Thank you for replying my message. I change the whole new set of clutch, transmission volvo original fluid, & tranny filter on august 2008. It's running about 21,000km since august 2008 until now(January 2009). Yes the guy did reset the tranny as there was a message displayed "TRANSMISSION SERVICE REQUIRED TCM 0021F i think... that causes the clutch to slip. So i changed a whole new set of clutch, fluid & filter. It was jerky for a couple of days and later it was okay. But now it has come to the extend that from N-D or from N-R the gear engaged slowly in 2-3 seconds.In one ocassionit became more crazy it jerks terribly & the gear engages in 3-4 seconds. I stop the car for awhile abt one minute and start it back...it was okay. M scared if its the valve body coz that will coz me a BOMB !

dkvcopy 08-16-2009 02:48 AM

Has anyone tried any after market ATF products besides using original ATF from volvo...because here in Malaysia, the weather is very hot. My ATF is about closed to 30,000km...it's time to change.

andrei3333 08-16-2009 08:56 AM

go get some synthetic fluid