Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum

Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum (https://volvoforums.com/forum/)
-   Volvo S80 (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-s80-18/)
-   -   S80 Aftermarket Stereo (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-s80-18/s80-aftermarket-stereo-291/)

kitties240sx 04-13-2004 04:20 PM

S80 Aftermarket Stereo

I am interested in replacing the factory stereo with an aftermarket head unit. I am having troubles finding an installation kit and wiring harness to fit my car. Any suggestions would be great.

pilotsims 04-15-2004 06:01 PM

S80 Aftermarket Stereo

volvos are a pain sometimes to replace the radio. finding a harness and mount for the radio for my car seemed hard. your best bet would be to go and buy a radio and have it installed by the techies at the store. usually labor is a lot, but this is the only way i see to install a new radio unless you are well versed with this sort of installation.

master_pre 05-21-2006 09:49 PM

RE: S80 Aftermarket Stereo

There is no easy way to use aftermarket cd players in a volvo. I would highly recommend not even messing with it. The stock head units are impressive, and you can always put some amps and subs in by using an rca conversion.

JCVolvoS80 05-22-2006 11:50 PM

Yeah, believe me, just getting the climate control and head unit out are difficult enough. I installed my own bluetooth and it was the most difficult thing on a car I've ever done. I would not bother replacing the head unit. It is sleek and matches the console to the T. Go with a couple twelves aimed at the back seats, an inch from the fabric and directly behind the passengers. Then a kicker under each front seat, and a 1200W amp with a capacitor. You'll be bumpin everywhere you go.

master_pre 05-23-2006 12:24 AM

If you want to get a lot of clean, deep bass and are willing to spend a little money, I would go with JL Audio. You could run one 12" JL Audio W7 ($400) and a JL Audio 500/1 monoblock amp ($500), and probably get more than enough quality, clean bass.

gordon368 05-24-2006 01:50 AM

for 12w7's that isnt enough power.... but its cost effective.

Make sure if you invest in a system, and you keep a factory head unit, make sure you get a Cleansweep. Also Keep in mind that if the voltage drops to 11 volts the JL amps will still play, they work between 11-14 volts.

Ebolavoodoo 06-10-2006 05:01 AM

S80 Aftermarket Stereo

Best way to upgrade your stereo is to buy a bmw, audi, or mercedes that has a kicking Bose sounds system in it. That is how you upgrade your sound system..lol. Guys at several sound install places said they couldnt find compatible stereos for the s80.

tech 06-10-2006 09:49 AM

ORIGINAL: Ebolavoodoo

Best way to upgrade your stereo is to buy a bmw, audi, or mercedes that has a kicking Bose sounds system in it. That is how you upgrade your sound system..lol. Guys at several sound install places said they couldnt find compatible stereos for the s80.
Almost anything will work but the key is to goto the Dealer and have them do a software download and remove the Factory radio settings.
The car see the Factory stereo as a control module. So when you just throw a different radio in there it messes with the entire car if the software isn't installed.

gordon368 06-11-2006 04:24 AM

tech,

When Im blasting my system....new 13w7 with a ported box powered by a jl 1000/1, with a 300/4 .......... So when im blasting it , sometimes the car dims a lot, adn other times it doesnt dim at all(how come?), but also occasionally the speakers will shut off for some reason, the sub will play but internal speakers shut off, also the STC, BRAKE Light and message flash on when im cranking it too.

Why does that happen?-(am i using too much power)

what can I do to stop it? second battery ? cap? ?

tech 06-11-2006 12:51 PM

You are pulling alot of power. These cars need alot of power.
Try a Cap first then you may have to add another battery.

After all you have to run 15 computers in the car and then the powerful system you have.

gordon368 06-12-2006 01:46 AM

i c, will get on that cap soon!

1 farad cap enough?

or should i go overboard and get the 5 farad cap?

tech 06-12-2006 08:47 PM

Which ever you decide to buy.
(Sorry not really an expert on all Aftermarket Stereo stuff)

althej 06-12-2006 11:24 PM

the rule of thumb on caps is 1 farad per 1000 watts. as we all know quality differs and price differs. you could get a 1 farad cap for 40 bucks and it wont do you any good. i had a sentra with one DIAMOND audio 12in. which is equivelent of the w7 i had a optima yellow top and a bat cap, and it never once dimmed on me. i would buy a bat cap, static makes some good ones. or a high rated capacitor.

gordon368 06-13-2006 03:08 AM

I saw a 5 farad Alumnapro C.A.P.- Carbon alloy power....I think thats the best you can get its really nice...

tech 06-13-2006 07:40 PM

ORIGINAL: althej

the rule of thumb on caps is 1 farad per 1000 watts. as we all know quality differs and price differs. you could get a 1 farad cap for 40 bucks and it wont do you any good. i had a sentra with one DIAMOND audio 12in. which is equivelent of the w7 i had a optima yellow top and a bat cap, and it never once dimmed on me. i would buy a bat cap, static makes some good ones. or a high rated capacitor.
Thanks for the Info.
I have a big problem on My Mustang as well and need to do the same.

dcisne 06-21-2006 04:40 PM

I put my own aftermarket stereo in (ALPINE)- I found a wiring harness had to do alittle digging in the back of the wires to reconnect- and get a special antenae wire hookup kit, and matching unit cover . It actually looks rather professional, and Im a girl so I guess that means anyone can do it. :) The kits can be bought and ordered by several places the place that sells em here is called Benchmark Stereo in SPringfield IL they are easy to deal with. I actually impressed my Volvo Dealer with it cause he'd ever seen one.. guess old rich ppl drive volvos around here and dont install much...
I too have the power surge problem, gonna install a cap. So far I only have two sets of mtx 12's a rock fos amp which kicks butt and some mids and tweets- god there are alot of speakers to replace in a volvo.
Tech- Im gonna try and get a software upgrade for the loss of power, abs brake light things, hopefully it works, you know everything- and everything you've told me to do has cured my 1999 volvo- ford bastard child! Thanks!:)

tech 06-21-2006 08:56 PM

ORIGINAL: dcisne

ford bastard child![/i][/size] Thanks!:)
Thank you.
The Ford came before the Volvo work was ever though of.
That is my first baby!! LOL

dcisne 08-19-2006 10:39 AM

Dont take that personally, Some fords dont count..esp Mustangs ... Ive got a 69 mach 1 351 cleveland at home....original blue and gold w/ racing stripe.. I myself like chevy trucks.

I had to take my aftermarket out and finally put my factory in but Im still having codes pop up and cant disable them, My volvo dealer acted like retards when I told em about the upgrade.. they wanted to do a whole buncha stuff to my car and spend $$$ I was like nevermind Ill take it out myself.

But, I did do the ETM upgrade, and the throttle body clean thanks to your advice, my car runs great. Well beside it throwing ABS, Brake and Transmission failure from the stereo problem and shutting down til you unhook the battery. Soo its running like normal. :)

tech 08-19-2006 11:43 AM

I will have to try to Get the software Function ID # for you.
Then you can go and Tell them that you want that Download only.
Then you can reinstall the Aftermarket radio again.

EDIT:Software part # should be 9499067 for the Radio removal software.

gordon368 08-20-2006 01:11 AM

They make a JL audio Cleansweep device, which does more than a new head unit. It allows you to keep your stock finish. They hook up the cleansweep, and it makes the signal stronger and clearer, so speakers are louder and clearer. Plus you can attach an ipod, and other things up to it.