Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum

Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum (https://volvoforums.com/forum/)
-   Volvo S80 (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-s80-18/)
-   -   s80 check engine light (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-s80-18/s80-check-engine-light-4906/)

rhgibson 03-14-2006 06:06 PM

s80 check engine light

hi, bought my 99 s80 5 months ago,, worst car i've ever owned..... like another forum member i noticed a gas smell in the car,, had to have the fuel pump assy replaced at a cost of $630 parts and labor....
i'm sure the ETM is acting up too,,, the car shudders when it shifts gears,, sometimes surges when applying light throttle, but the dealer will not even consider replacing the ETM under warrenty until the check engine light is taken care of....... the car will not even rev past 4000rpm,, feels like the rev limiter is cutting in... i took the car to AutoZone where they checked the error codes as 1171/1181, said they are 'manufacturer specific' codes, but suggested the mass air sensor 'might' be the problem,, can anyone tell me if this is the likely trouble,,,, i will replace it myself to avoid the minimum $80 dealer charge just to even check the computer code.... also, will the error need to reset by the dealer, or will it clear itself after the trouble is resolved.... thanks!

tech 03-14-2006 10:00 PM

RE: s80 check engine light

The codes will need to be cleared after the repair.

If the codes lead to the throttle body being bad then you won't get chaged the $80.00 check out fee.

rhgibson 03-15-2006 01:46 PM

ok, but in regards to the error code 1171 and 1181, and the fact that the car will not rev past 4000rpm, do you think the mass air sensor could be the probable cause ???
if not, what components should be looked at? ( 99 s80 non-turbo)

tech 03-15-2006 08:56 PM

I will have to do some research Tomorrow and translate the codes if I can. The Man. Specific codes usually mean either the throttle body or something Heavy in the emmissions system.

If it was a massflow sensor the code should have read massflow sensor.

rhgibson 03-17-2006 05:53 PM

ok, thanks tech... in the meantime, if i can find a shop that can check the 'Volvo' code i will try that... as long as i don't have to drop the car off and leave it all day...

rhgibson 03-31-2006 01:08 PM

ok, finally took the car to an independant volvo shop (volvtech of ga.),, they replaced the 'air flow meter', and cleaned the throttle body...
the check engine is now staying off..... the car runs really good now.... it also fixed the idle problems and shudder/shake when it would shift gears **** i truly believe
in local volvo shops,,, i believe if i took the car to a volvo dealer that i would have been told that i need a new tranny ($4000) .... this has happened to a lot of s80 owners...

tech 03-31-2006 10:30 PM

Congrats on getting it all fixed.

T1Runner 04-02-2006 12:16 AM

ORIGINAL: rhgibson

it also fixed the idle problems and shudder/shake when it would shift gears

What did they do to fix the shudder because i have the same problem.