Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum

Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum (https://volvoforums.com/forum/)
-   Volvo S80 (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-s80-18/)
-   -   S80 Ignition Problems (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-s80-18/s80-ignition-problems-13597/)

starladog@yahoo.com 09-05-2007 10:14 AM

S80 Ignition Problems

:eek:I have a 2000 Volvo S80 T6 with a few issues. Sometimes when you turn the key to start the car it just makes a ticking noise and won't turn over. The first time it did this I called someone and jumped it off and it started fine for a few days. Now it does this pretty frequently, however I now know to just hold the key in the "start" position and eventually it will turn over and start. Also, when it does this the clock loses its memory as do my memory seat settings. The radio however, doesn't. Any ideas on this?

Second issue the "air bag service urgent" warning message has come on. I don't have a Volvo serviceman locally (have to go out of town) so I need to know if the car is safe to drive like this. I am concerned as I have a teenage driver whom I let drive the car frequently due to its safety features and I just need to know if that is OK. Also, I presently have 146,000 miles on the car so is this warning message due to the mileage or is there potentially a problem? If so, will this be expensive?

Third, I just had my car serviced and he forgot to reset the service light. He told me the trick with the key position, trip reset button, etc. I however, forgot what to do and when the light started blinking I didn't let go and turn the key like I was supposed to and now I can't get the light to blink again. Any ideas on this?

Thanks for any help anybody can give me.

tech 09-05-2007 05:46 PM

RE: S80 Ignition Problems

1 and 2 sound like low battery voltage.

3 search the forum and you will find the posts about resetting the service light.

starladog@yahoo.com 09-06-2007 08:57 AM

Thanks so much for the quick response. I got my service light reset. After I posted my problem the car would not start at all last night, however after jumping it off it started fine this morning and later last night. Should I have the battery tested? I'm sorry if I sound stupid, but I am a female and not real car savvy.

master_pre 09-06-2007 01:17 PM

I would replace the battery regardless. How old is it?

starladog@yahoo.com 09-06-2007 01:46 PM

It is the original battery that came with the car.

master_pre 09-06-2007 03:13 PM

Yeah, I'd look into getting a new battery. You aren't out anything and it may resolve your problems completely.

starladog@yahoo.com 09-06-2007 03:35 PM

I'm going to pick up a battery. I will let you know by post how it turns out. I hope it clears up both of my problems, I would hate to have my SRS airbags replaced.

master_pre 09-07-2007 09:37 AM

Volvo's do not like having low voltage being provided by the battery. I always try to stay ahead of the power curve when it comes to batteries. I replace them before I have issues that way I never have to be worried about something like this happening on the road.

starladog@yahoo.com 09-10-2007 02:14 PM

Well, I replaced my battery which by the way was the original factory one. That has solved my starting problems, however my "SRS Airbage Service-Urgent" message won't go away. It appears from reading the forum this will mean a trip to my Volvo mechanic. I still feel it might have come on because of the low battery voltage, but by what I have read it will still need to be reset by the mechanic.

master_pre 09-11-2007 02:09 PM

Yep, you have to take the car into the dealership so they can reset that message. With these cars it's better to change the battery prior to any issues being encountered. We just did that not too long ago for my wifes volvo and we haven't encountered any issues because of it. :D I'm glad that the battery was the only issue, that's really good news.