Volvo S80 A performance sedan that offers top notch luxury, outstanding handling and so much more.

99 Volvo s80 2.9, won't start

Old 09-08-2014, 02:32 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 99 Volvo s80 2.9, won't start

My wife's 99 s80 has never given us any problem till now. I has been raining for the past 2 weeks here and recently my wife's car didn't want to start. I figured the easiest fix would be a new battery, so i took it to be charged at the local parts store. The battery was good and the car started right back up. Next day same thing happens, so I got a new pair of jumper cables to jumpstart it. It turned on, but the power locks sunroof and interior lights didn't work, however interior lights would come on when I opened the doors. I don't remember if i disconnected the battery again, and the locks, sunroof, and lights began to work again. I took the car to O'Reilly's to check the alternator, and they told me it was producing too low of a charge. This morning it won't start, and it didn't want to jumpstart either. For some reason, reading forums all night i figured it could be the ECM or ECU something similar. Major money either way. I figure a slow charge will work better. I still need to find the root of the problem, and want to do it myself instead of being charged hundreds to diagnose and fix it. I also don't want to have to keep taking it in for repairs trusting a shop I don't know to well. Most mechanics in my area don't want to go near it with a ten foot pole, so that tells you they must be more complicated than most. Any ideas on what it could be or what I can do to fix it would be greatly appreciated. Thank you for your time and advice. Tonight I purchased a shumacker 750 peak watt portable jumpstarter and disconnected the negative cable, lets see if it starts up in the a.m.

Last edited by thehabitualcriminal; 09-08-2014 at 10:02 PM. Reason: more info