Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum

Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum (https://volvoforums.com/forum/)
-   Volvo S80 (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-s80-18/)
-   -   S80 SRS won't communicate (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-s80-18/s80-srs-wont-communicate-82329/)

Wayne in VA 01-31-2015 06:11 PM

S80 SRS won't communicate

I have 4 Volvo S80s I keep maintained, 2 1999, 1 2000, and one 2002. Use my scanner on 5-6 more. I have a I car soft 906 or something like that scanner. Good with everything except SRS.

When I am out looking for another S80, I will check cars with no SRS light reading and scanner reads SRS fine. But I am stuck with these the SRS won't communicate.

Each one had SRS light on. Replaced module on 2000 & 2002, good. Battery cables off, installed unit with dielectic grease, and no light. All use the same module ending in 256. So fixed 2 with good SRS modules.

Started on the 1999. First I took a good SRS and light went out. Ordered 4 SRS off eBay, getting one wrong number 254, which read on scanner, but said setup was wrong. Now, 3 in a row 256 SRS units received bad. Light went out with 256 SRS from working 2000 S80 fixed same day I tested and light out on 1999.

Its just SRS modules. But the odds of getting 3 bad ones in a row from eBay sellers with good reps? Two sellers want them returned, and the first one just sent a new unit (which fixed the 2000). The 254 guy swears some S80s use the 254, but all I am seeing is the 256 modules in s80 GEN I cars.

So I have fixed 2 with good SRS, and received a lot of non working SRS unit. I am marking them BAD: wont communicate before I send them back.

So my question is, other than taking S80s to dealer. Any better ideas?

Wayne

ES6T 02-01-2015 09:18 AM

The SRS modules are programmed to the car. So swapping in used ones is a crapshoot. Also, they aren't that common of a failure. I don't know if I've ever replaced more than four, so the odds of you having four cars with bad SRS control modules is pretty unlikely.

Wayne in VA 02-02-2015 05:42 AM

unclear

Despite odds, while I looked at a lot of gen I Volvo S80s, all with 2.9, I bought four for family members.
Fix two SRS, with modules.

By your logic, every SRS module, of same part number, for example ending in 256 is programed different, and its a crap shoot to find a replacement module of same part number that is the same. Is that what you are saying?

ES6T 02-02-2015 07:18 AM

Yes. When we replace the module, we program it to the car with a software download using VIDA.

doublebug 02-03-2015 12:10 AM

you programming it to car network configuration. (at least for 256 units)
Not for for specific car. So module will do if donor car had the same notwork config.
More resent modules (since late 2000 MY) are programmed for Air bags config too.

Wayne in VA 02-03-2015 02:05 PM

This is confusing

I have fixed a 2002 and a 2001 S80 with replacement 0 285 001 256 units. After fixing the 2002, removed that known working 256 and put it in the 1999 S80 with SRS light on. SRS light went off. Scanner read SRS system. Removed and returned to 2002, (still good).

Now have tried 2 other SRS units in this 1999 from eBay sellers, and while light configurations change, concerning whether in addition to the SRS, the engine check light is on, or orange triangle comes on and can be turned off by clicking turn signal stem. Seem to be just getting bad units.
Mind you, the 2001 was fixed with a second unit (originally sent a 0 285 001 254, but next sellers module fixed that one. 2002 was also fixed on the second unit (and verified the 1999 system only needs module)
To this point, only 2 sellers want their units returned, the guy who sold the 0 285 001 254, and a 0 285 001 256 seller, who number their unit and had a tape tamper seal. Shipping is usually 1/2 what the original one charged.

Mind you taking the car to the dealer, get a VIDA reflash is optimum, but when you have 4 cars, seriously, that could get expensive.

Second, there is suspect crap on eBay at times.

If I took all my repairs to the dealer, I would drive something else. This 1999, I have chose as my ride, and it drives super nice, has not used any oil, gets 22.9 - 25.5MPG and just needs little stuff. Zero rust, not a dent. My biggest problem has been a fuel pump failure. When I had it in the shop, because I needed the next day to go on a trip, the local exclusive Volvo shop could not fix the SRS, they validated, just like I did that it was only the module.

I am getting vibes, no one wants guys like me fixing the SRS. Take it to the dealer. Here in VA, with annual inspections, any light is a failure. Ouch. $$$$ It is a 16 year old car. A few dealer repairs is why cars this age are junked.

So I bought a scanner and am learning to fix my own Volvo.

ES6T 02-03-2015 02:34 PM

I get it, and that's great. But since programming is involved, there isn't much a dealer can do beside replace with a new module. Doublebug knows more about the actual programming side of things, more than we have access to at the dealer.

doublebug 02-05-2015 04:24 AM

Actually here "SRS won't communicate" error code means that CEM does not get response from SRS.
And that can mean wrong sw int the SRS module.
Reading via Dice and Vida SRS should also have error code about wrong configuration. If SRS responds to the scanner it can be reprogrammed (only if it does not show errors about internal issues). that is for 256 modules.

Wayne in VA 02-05-2015 12:45 PM

If I understand what your are meaning is, for whatever reasons, the "256" SRS modules I am receiving are faulty. If it won't read, it won't reprogram. This is exactly what I was told by "Paul's Volvo" of Richmond VA. Paul says he has every software capability that the dealer has. But my module cannot be reprogramed.
I offer no reasons I am receiving bad units from eBay sellers. Whether they think they are good or not, I cannot imagine. Hopefully, they thought they were sending me good ones.
I have 3 bad ones I have not sent back, because the seller didn't want them, and have sent two back.

I have sucessfully fixed systems with two good SRS, meaning my batting average sux.

Shipping is roughly $6 per, so other than the time it takes to initally take the console apart, and time to disconnect/connect batteries, reprogram clock, I am still ahead of cost to simply let dealer give me a new module and fix it.

I have been a mechanic all my adult life, and I hate mysteries. There are finite reasons things fail and measurable reasons to replace what needs fixed. This SRS mystery is crap.

I use dielelectic grease, check pins, do the battery procedures right and while I don't know why, I simply think I am being sent faulty modules. Good ones work.

I think it is sorta eBay false junk, like the key FOB remotes.

Wayne

Originally Posted by doublebug (Post 405395)
Actually here "SRS won't communicate" error code means that CEM does not get response from SRS.
And that can mean wrong sw int the SRS module.
Reading via Dice and Vida SRS should also have error code about wrong configuration. If SRS responds to the scanner it can be reprogrammed (only if it does not show errors about internal issues). that is for 256 modules.

doublebug 02-06-2015 02:57 AM

Agree.
If module does not communicate with scanner it is faulty (while others such modules do).

Wayne in VA 02-17-2015 08:04 AM

Update on 1999 '256' SRS Light

Have another used "256" SRS module installed. Now have the most interesting symptoms.

SRS light is on.
Dash reads "No Messages"
No check engine light.
My scanner will not communicate.

Car is at Paul's Volvo in Richmond and one way or another it will be fixed.
---Having fuel tank sender reset. Only reads 7/8 at full, intermittently flips off reading fuel level. This is a re-do job.
---SRS light - hook it to VIDA and fix it
---Programming a remote key FOB

Out of all the Gen I S80 Volvo's, like this one the best. Black, with dark grey interior. 4 disk CD player. Have a MP3 adapter to install.
17" rims, new struts, new Coopers, runs great. New Iridiam plugs, Super mileage

Just so happen the local pick and pull had a dark grey interior, so helped myself to every part I needed and some I did not. Pulled tan stuff too
Pulled an extra air filter assy, 254 SRS, window switches, trim, cups, door handle trim, hardware and have a S80 stash building.

Have replaced the ignition switch on my 1999, with worn spring dead spot and ordered another for my other daughters 1999. EZ job, sure fixes the dead spot switch problem. Some 1999 models have an odd Mercedes style switch (these 2) while all others have the plug in style ignition switch.
Wayne

Wayne in VA 02-18-2015 09:40 AM

1999 Volvo S80 SRS Update

VIDA read no codes also, but the SRS light was on.

So what Paul's did was unhooked a SRS senser component, created a hard fault, then plugged the sensor back in, removed the fault and cleared the light. Actually it was too easy.

Wayne