Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum

Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum (https://volvoforums.com/forum/)
-   Volvo S80 (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-s80-18/)
-   -   S80 Sun roof won't open (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-s80-18/s80-sun-roof-wont-open-19913/)

S80_Pilot 05-05-2008 09:05 PM

S80 Sun roof won't open

2000 S80 sun roof won't open.After disconnecting the batteryto clear codes and resetting the locks, I still can't get the sun roof to work. Both sun roof fuses are good. Center overhead lights work and the two red seat belt and symbol on the mirrow light up so there is power there. I have locked and unlocked the car serval times using both the driver and passenger lock switches and the key.Key fobs were lost years ago by my kids. OBTW the car sat for three months during engine repairs without the battery hooked up and I last opened the sun roof in the fall. Moving the switch gets no reaction from the sun roof or any sound like a motor or relay is attempting to engage. I can push the sun roof up a little bit so it is not stuck to the seal. Any suggestions to get the sun roof to work are appreciated. Thanks, George

PS: Car now purrs like a kitten after I finally finished the valve job that caused the car to sit for a while....yipee! https://volvoforums.com/micons/m9.gif

S80_Pilot 05-08-2008 08:47 PM

RE: S80 Sun roof won't open

After unlocking the car, I gotthe message alarm service required. Ipulled and reset the alarm fuse and now the sun roof works. https://volvoforums.com/micons/m16.gif

tech 05-09-2008 05:59 PM

Sorry I missed the post originally. Internet was done here lastnight.
Glad you got it.

starladog@yahoo.com 05-09-2008 08:10 PM

Hi,

My sun roof is doing exactly the same thing and when I lock my car I get the message "alarm service required" upon unlocking (2000 S80). Now what exactly did you do to fix this? You will have to speak in layman's terms as I am not real car savvy.

tech 05-09-2008 08:26 PM

The alarm siren will have to be replaced.
The siren is kind of a computer. When it goes bad it messes with the other computers.

stafygraph 09-01-2009 11:31 PM

S80 2000 is Certainly classy, composed. It looks a bit bland from the side views, and I *still* don't like the tail light design! Nothing great about the nose either, but not bad. Interior: Very nice. Excellent ergonomics, buttons, etc. It is obvious they tried to copy BMW in the way the lines are curved around the dash across the entire front panel, including the center console, but hey, trust me, that is NOT a bad thing! Works very well, regardless of originality (not a difficult thing for a Volvo to pull off eh? At least, not in past years). Very comforting colors (been in black, grey, and tan interior color combos), typical of a Scandinavian touch. Not terribly sexy, mind you, but pleasantly inviting cuz at the very least, your eyes will be comforted (but not excited). Overall, very nice textures everywhere.

wuzisname 04-17-2012 12:05 PM

As strange as it sounds, removing the Alarm fuse started my sunroof to work again!!! Cool and thank you people!:D

rcrick1943 12-10-2012 10:16 PM

Unbelievable about sun roof

I just want to say thanks to whomever discovered that pulling the Alarm siren fuse would cause the sunroof to begin working. And they used to say the electrical system on Jags were screwy.

Thanks again

ctcert2008 01-22-2013 08:00 PM

I am currently experiencing the same issue. I have tried the three consecutive lock/ unlock method, manually with the key and with the key fob; neither method worked. Additionally, I tried the placing the ignition key in position two, then holding the driver’s side window control switches that control the front drivers/passenger windows in the “windows up positions” for 8-10 seconds to resetting the UEM. Lastly, I have tried replacing both the Sunroof and Alarm Siren fuses; still no luck on getting the sunroof to work. P.S I tried the leaving the window down and reaching inside and unlocking the door. I set off the alarm w/o the siren sounding. Looks like I need to replace the Siren

mrmikevolvo 05-12-2021 02:33 PM

Still no sunroof

I purchased my 2004 S80 used and from day one the sunroof did not respond. After finding this thread I thought I would give the alarm fuse a try. Nothing. I tried with no fuse (38) and by putting fuse back. I assume alarm is working by blinking red light. Any other suggestions on what to look for?

hoonk 05-12-2021 03:35 PM

Removing the fuse does not disconnect the siren module from the network. The module when bad can disrupt the network signal to the sunroof module -

Test your alarm - roll drivers window down, get out and lock car - wait 30 seconds, pretend to break window, reach in and open the door - if the alarm sounds it's ok. If only the lights flash the siren module might be preventing the sunroof from working. If so you could try disconnecting the siren module (in the rf fenderwell. ) The lights flashing are not controlled by the siren module.

Attached is part of the can bus wiring - the data paths between modules in your car. Some of the modules are wired in series. Note the SCM (siren control module) is connected to the SRM (sunroof module) and that data goes through the UEM (upper electronic module) - that module is glued to the back of the rear view mirror glass and has the antenna for your remote locking in it. Data goes then magically to another page in the book matching up with the a and b arrows! So if the backup battery leaks and damages the circuit board in just the right way affecting the can bus wiring - the sunroof module can get confused and not signal the sunroof to move.

https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/volvofo...6fd9f4db9a.jpg

mrmikevolvo 05-12-2021 08:12 PM

That was it. The lights flashed but no siren. So possibly replacing that module will fix things?

hoonk 05-12-2021 09:06 PM

Or you could try simply unplugging it - those modules cost more than a few dollars. Depends on how much you have/wish to spend.