Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum

Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum (https://volvoforums.com/forum/)
-   Volvo S80 (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-s80-18/)
-   -   S80 Transmission Help Needed Plus MANY faulty codes (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-s80-18/s80-transmission-help-needed-plus-many-faulty-codes-36215/)

2dobedogs 11-07-2009 12:05 AM

S80 Transmission Help Needed Plus MANY faulty codes

Hi! I just joined the forum and am thankful in advance for any information that you might be able to give me. I have a 2000 S80 with 115,000 miles that I LOVE. I was driving down the highway and my "Transmission Service Urgent" and the "Check Engine" light came on simultaneously. It'd been driving perfectly up till that point. Before I could get it back to my house to have it towed, it did get the limp feeling where it felt like it had no power to accelerate. Dealership had car 2 days before calling me to tell me I needed a new transmission.

They highlighted this code: TCM-000B Shift solenoid S1 Hydraulic fault. They said there's an electronic component built into the Volvo and BMW trannys, and when they fail they can't be fixed. We've been trying to get the car into an independent transmission garage, but the owner's been sick with flu, so we haven't been able to talk with him yet.

In the meantime, there are other things that happened before this situation. One is that my door locks unlock while I am driving. The dealership said they had never heard of that before and it would probably cost big bucks to trace the wires to find out why. Is this controlled by a computer? I told them to forget it, as I'd need the money for the tranny.

Second...I had "oil" spots of some kind coming from the front of my car. I thought it was from a friend's car, but the night before this happened, had to leave it out in the driveway and it was coming from MY car. I asked them to look at that as well, but never got a response about the leak. Could this be transmission fluid?

Third... Ocassionaly, I've had a hard time putting the car in reverse. It "pounded" into reverse. This would not happen all the time at all.

After reading some of the posts, I figured I put all my codes up, because there were a lot, to me, and the dealership only addressed the one code. Does anyone know if the other ones are related or are they something different? One talks about a door lock!

DTC's as follows:
CEM-6A04 Door locked, right rear signal too low
CEM-1C02 L-signal too low
ECM-530D Malfunction indicator lamp (MIL) TCM - faulty signal
ECM-720A Immobilizer communication - Signal missing
ECM-8010 Battery voltage - faulty signal
ECM-902A Communication with throttle unit - Signal too low
ECM-E003 Configuration fault - Faulty configuration
PSM-0029 Operating button, memory 2 too long time
PSM-002A Operating button, memory 3 too long time
TCM-000B Shift Solenoid S1 Hydraulic fault
UEM-0004 Siren Communication fault
ECM-530D Malfunction indicator lamp (MIL) TCM - faulty signal

The dealership told me it would cost $5550 + tax for a new transmission. I thought that was highway robbery. I called two other volvo dealerships, one was $1250 cheaper and one $1400 cheaper. I called back to see if they would match the $1400 cheaper price...still waiting for a response(if not, I am probably towing it 1 1/2 hours to the other dealer. It would still be cheaper). Found out from a cashier in the service department that the other dealership that quoted $1400 less, is owned by the same person. Go figure. EXACTLY!...this is what I'm stuck dealing with in this town I live in.

If anyone knows what the other codes are, I'd appreciate it. I think I was in shock when I heard the costs and didn't even think to read and ask questions.

THANK YOU!

cswadner 11-11-2009 03:05 PM

Sounds like a bad TCM (transmission control module) not necessarially a bad tranny. Your ABS module could also be going bad, as it can cause some weird tranny issues to occur. Unfortunatley some of the service guys will just scan the codes and start replacing parts instead of actually troubleshooting the issue and fixing what is there. It takes less time, and often brings in more money. Try and get into the independent garage, or even find a independent volvo shop if you can.

Good luck!

paul constant 11-15-2009 11:37 AM

you have the answer right here:
you can buy just the electric unit with the selenoids, in case that you cannot fix/ replace just that selenoid.

bahriozaslan 01-02-2010 08:06 AM

Hi All.

I just joined the forum and am thankful in advance for any information that you might be able to give me. I have a 1999 S80 with 145,000 miles. I was driving down the highway and my "Transmission Service Urgent" came on and the "Check Engine" light came on couple days before than transmission light.It'd been driving perfectly up till that point. I took my car to the dealer ship and they hooked up the vida and found error message TCM 000B.

TCM-000B Shift solenoid S1 Hydraulic fault. They said there's an electronic component built into the Volvo and BMW trannys, and when they fail they can't be fixed.

They also told me I need to replace the boost pressure sensor because of the check engine light.

Is it possible to replace the electric unit with the selenoids rather than to replace entire transmission?Do you know anyone who can do it for me in San Francisco Bay Area.Volvo is asking more than car's KBB value and it's not possible to work with them.

Can you guys please help me .

Best Regards