Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum

Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum (https://volvoforums.com/forum/)
-   Volvo S80 (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-s80-18/)
-   -   Is that a speaker on my dashboard????? (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-s80-18/speaker-my-dashboard-38624/)

spankey 01-31-2010 07:10 AM

Is that a speaker on my dashboard?????

I have an 04' S80 T6 with what appears to be a large speaker grill on the center of the top of the dash above the radio? Is this a speaker? I see other models that had an optional nav system that seemed to go in and out of the dash in this area.

Just curious why there is a grill there if nothing is under it or if it works?

Thanks
Spankey

nicolaselias 01-31-2010 02:10 PM

Well, that would be your center channel speaker depending on which audio system your car came with.. Considering that you have the t6 model, I assume you have the HU-801 which came with center speaker..
The other option was the HU-611 which doesnt have this speaker, and the HU cant power it, but it still has the grille with an empty space under it..

spankey 01-31-2010 03:57 PM

Thanks! I was doing some reading as I just installed a subwoofer in my car today the same thing. I don't have the higher stereo so I know it's empty now. Maybe could be a future cup holder as the one in my car broke some time back. Volvo wants over $100 for the fold down cup holder! I was like, NA AH!

Any rate, now I have trunk rattle so I have to deal with that now.

Glad to know though that I created the trunk rattle and Volvo didn't help me out with that. Just a little poke.... I do love my car though.

Spankey

spunkymonky 01-31-2010 04:13 PM

FYI you can usually find new cupholders on ebay for about $25

nicolaselias 01-31-2010 04:17 PM

concerning trunk rattle, you are probably going to have to dynamat the hell out of it...

Concerning the grille on the dash, mine is pretty loose, so it comes off without much trouble... I am thinking of making it into a secret stash spot for my gps and so on seeing as I have the HU-611 and there is nothing in there..
Much less obvious than the glove compartment i like to think...

Concerning cup holder, I think one day I may spend the money and redo my entire centre console.. My cupholder works but the clips to hold it closed do not..

N_Vagrant 02-01-2010 08:18 AM

any way of putting a speaker there if you never had one before? mine came with the 611 and now i have a pioneer head.

spankey 02-01-2010 06:51 PM

Well gang I figured out what was rattling in my trunk. Turns out it wasn't the trunk lid. It was the spare wheel and battery cover. The sub is sitting on that and apparently making it vibrate. Sounds horrible. I narrowed it down by listening to the car outside and you can vaguely hear the trunk rattle. Went inside and dropped the back seats and started to feel around and sure enough when I would press down on the cover it would kill some of the noise. Now I need to weather strip the heck out of the underside of the cover and hope that will deaden the noise. Dynomat is so freaking expensive I hope this will help some without spending $170 for dynomat........ARGGGGG

Nobeezo 09-19-2018 08:33 AM

Still helping years later

Originally Posted by nicolaselias (Post 203529)
Well, that would be your center channel speaker depending on which audio system your car came with.. Considering that you have the t6 model, I assume you have the HU-801 which came with center speaker..
The other option was the HU-611 which doesnt have this speaker, and the HU cant power it, but it still has the grille with an empty space under it..

Thanks for the posting way back when.
i got my 2004 S80 this year and been looking lately to put a speaker in there thinking it broke or something. Can believe they put an empty grill there. Just rude. Lol.
Thanks again 8 yrs later!
​​​