Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum

Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum (https://volvoforums.com/forum/)
-   Volvo S80 (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-s80-18/)
-   -   squeaky steering wheel?? (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-s80-18/squeaky-steering-wheel-1051/)

firstvolvo 02-28-2005 06:50 PM

squeaky steering wheel??

I just purchased a 2000 S80 and absolutely love the car. My one complaint is with the steering wheel. It starts to squeak when ever you move it more than a quarter turn. I tried spraying between the column and the wheel but it didn't help. Has anyone else experienced this problem?

Trader4Less 02-28-2005 06:57 PM

RE: squeaky steering wheel??

What did you try spraying it with?

firstvolvo 02-28-2005 07:00 PM

Silicone

Trader4Less 02-28-2005 07:07 PM

I have found that white lithium grease works well. Otherwise, you may look to see if any part of the dash is touching any part or look for any type of knuckle/joint that may be the cause.

I assume the noise is only being made from the interior. Have someone turn the wheel while you listen under the hood...where the noise culprit may be. Hope you find it and kill it!

firstvolvo 02-28-2005 07:17 PM

It is definitely coming from the interior. It sounds like the type of squeak that soft rubber makes against a hard surface. I have some white lithium grease, but I'm fairly certain that the sound is coming from inside the steering wheel. I envision all the cables that run through the steering column are rubbing against something when I turn the wheel. Does that sound possible?

tech 02-28-2005 07:28 PM

Some times the SRS contact wheel behind the steering wheel is what is making the noise.The only way to get rid of it is to replace it.

reg 03-01-2005 09:19 AM

Follow the steering shaft to the point where it exits the fire wall. There you will find a good sized rubber boot. Push the boot down and it will expose a white plastic bearing. The bearing is split and so you can remove it. clean it with solvent, re-grease it and replace it. Your "squeak" and "rubbing" noise will be eliminated.
Reg.

tech 03-01-2005 10:10 AM

The S80's have a full metal bearing but check and see if the noise is from the floor.Thanks REG you posted before me I was coming to post now.Just remembered about it.

Note for anyone reading this Post:: If you have a strange wind noise of a loud road noise that sounds like it is coming from the floor area check the same thing we are talking about in the floorboard.

Timty 12-30-2010 05:21 AM

This is a very interesting website, I have added it in my favourites. This post is exactly what I am interested.I shall be pleased to become a regular visitor. keep up doing nice job.i have bookmarked this site and emailed it to a few friends so they can get help to it. regards

ccna braindump | comptia a+ |microsoft mcp | testkings

Peachy 04-13-2017 06:02 PM

Squeaky steering wheel

Originally Posted by firstvolvo (Post 3374)
I just purchased a 2000 S80 and absolutely love the car. My one complaint is with the steering wheel. It starts to squeak when ever you move it more than a quarter turn. I tried spraying between the column and the wheel but it didn't help. Has anyone else experienced this problem?

Yep..

new used Volvo first time owner and member.Former multiple SAAB enthusiast but well I don't know. Thought I would try the big brother of the ginger haired stepchild.

bought a XC90 2004 2.5 ( not T6!) and took for test drive before I bought. Steering had annoying noise when I panned it right out of driveway. Didn't bother me then as I could deal with it but it gets annoying very quickly.

i am going through it too to bottom as a project so I will let you know what remedies work or if it ultimately defeats me.

Car was locked out as well as soon as I got it home as key fob broke apart and tried key alone... nope!

well I wanted a challenge... Volvo does not disappoint 😅

keep you posted.

Peachy

Peachy 04-13-2017 06:03 PM

Squeaky steering wheel

Originally Posted by firstvolvo (Post 3374)

Yep..

new used Volvo first time owner and member.Former multiple SAAB enthusiast but well I don't know. Thought I would try the big brother of the ginger haired stepchild.

bought a XC90 2004 2.5 ( not T6!) and took for test drive before I bought. Steering had annoying noise when I panned it right out of driveway. Didn't bother me then as I could deal with it but it gets annoying very quickly.

i am going through it too to bottom as a project so I will let you know what remedies work or if it ultimately defeats me.

Car was locked out as well as soon as I got it home as key fob broke apart and tried key alone... nope!

well I wanted a challenge... Volvo does not disappoint 😅

keep you posted.

Peachy