Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum

Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum (https://volvoforums.com/forum/)
-   Volvo S80 (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-s80-18/)
-   -   Steering Wheel Misalignment(?) (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-s80-18/steering-wheel-misalignment-14484/)

1999S80T6 10-20-2007 12:10 AM

Steering Wheel Misalignment(?)

My steering wheel doesnt turn a circle on its center point. It wobbles a little - up to 1inch - as if its misaligned or something. I tried different steering column telescoping position but the result is same. Please see the pic to be clear. When I make a turn, insted of turning normally inside the red circle I drew around the steering wheel, it moves out of the circle - downward. It isat its max misalignment when the wheel is turned 180 degrees and comesback inside the red circlewhen I turn it a full circle360 degrees or turned back to normal position - 0 degrees. It happens both in clockwise and anti-clockwise direction.

The steering wheel also makes creaking noise when making turns, even minor turns. But it is not loud enough to hear during day time, I can only hear it during night when it is really calm with no outside noises.

What is causing this misalignment and noise, and how do I fix it?

Thanks guys.
1999S80T6

[IMG]local://upfiles/12401/5B8C2FF8AE5A4712B2AF55B3E05D9DC2.jpg[/IMG]

JPN 10-21-2007 06:24 AM

RE: Steering Wheel Misalignment(?)

Hi,

Sorry about the problem.

I can only assume that something is bent/loose, most likely the steering shaft/shaft support. I would remove enough dash parts to get access to the shaft assembly to see if there is a bent section, check with a straight ruler. Be careful with the SRS; disconnect the negative battery cable, should you decide to take this route.

As I'm an 850 driver, I'm not privy to the S80. If you do not receive any other replies, try posting this question in the "General Volvo Chat" section.

I wish you the best of luck,

JPN

tech 10-21-2007 09:47 AM

Have you ever had any major work done on the car?
Like having to have the Subframe dropped?

1999S80T6 10-21-2007 11:36 AM

ORIGINAL: tech

Have you ever had any major work done on the car?
Like having to have the Subframe dropped?

I just bought the car a couple of months ago and I didn't have any major work done other than replacing both the turbo chargers and some miscelleneous engine fixes. I don't know if the previous owner did something. Some of the work done on the car after I bought it is listed in my signature; please see if any of them relates to this problem.

Thanks JPN and Tech.

tech 10-21-2007 11:49 AM

I wasa trying to figure out if the subframe was ever dropped. Sometimes people drop the subframe and never disconnect the steering column and when going back in they bend the shaft.