Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum

Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum (https://volvoforums.com/forum/)
-   Volvo S80 (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-s80-18/)
-   -   Streeing oil pump pulley (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-s80-18/streeing-oil-pump-pulley-78087/)

Sherry007 05-07-2014 06:08 AM

Streeing oil pump pulley

2 Attachment(s)
Hi,

Sometimes I heard weird noises from the pulley of Steering oil pump, so I ordered the new pulley.

My question do I just need to take off serpentine belt and replace the pulley or I have to take the whole pump off, draining oil etc and then replace it.

please see attached images and suggest.

Disco2 05-10-2014 08:45 AM

2 Attachment(s)
The directions I have say to remove the pump and put it in a vise. Doesn't look like there's enough room in there to use the special tools needed to remove the pulley. The new one has to be pressed on and you have to measure the distance the pump and pulley so the serpentine belt isn't off. Supposedly, these are the tools you need to remove and install it.

Sherry007 05-10-2014 12:31 PM

Thanks Disco, very helpful indeed!

Just to be sure does changing pulley will solve my problem of Steering pump noises?

because I do not see any bearing kind of a thing into new pulley. It just has a space for the nut, that is it.

Thanks.

Disco2 05-10-2014 06:27 PM

Probably not. More than likely the pump is on its way out.

Kiss4aFrog 05-11-2014 09:07 AM

1 Attachment(s)
It would be helpful if you had a location in your profile. If you're U.S., you can go to an auto parts store (Oreilly, Autozone ...) and get the tool for removing and installing as a loaner. Nice thing about the kit is that it includes a thrust bearing that is really helpful in installing the pulley.

Remove the belt and spin the pulley on the pump in the car and see if it's bent, broken ribs or anything odd. If it isn't bent, cracked or has something that contacts the belt messed up in someway it's not the pulley. They rarely go bad.

Depending on the noise it might be the pumps bearing or it could be fluid related. A bad high pressure hose connection will let air in and can cause noise as the pump purges the air occasionally from it's internals. I had a bad hose, likely the O ring was failing and it allowed air in. You'd think it would leak out fluid but it actually sucked in air and caused the pump to foam and spit out fluid.
With yours, hard to say without hearing it.

Sherry007 05-12-2014 05:17 PM

Hi Kiss4Frog

It would be good but I am not in US, that is why I surly have to go to mechanic to get this job done.

Regarding inspection pulley is not bent neither broken ribs but there is a hose going from steering pump to the steering(back of the engine, on a frame), that was leak few months ago but since I knew steering fluid was overfilled, after taking out little and making up to the full spots, never see that leak again. But I think it will be worth to recheck.

Steering pump noise often hear on clod start but after few mins drive like 5 mins max, its gone. Will appreciate for further help.

Thanks

oragex 05-12-2014 08:52 PM

it is also pretty common for the pump to be noisy when it doesn't have the proper fluid.