Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum

Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum (https://volvoforums.com/forum/)
-   Volvo S80 (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-s80-18/)
-   -   Sunroof removal (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-s80-18/sunroof-removal-35719/)

tactic 10-24-2009 02:51 AM

Sunroof removal

MY 1999 s80's sunshade decided to get stuck in the open position when I tried re-aligning it. I removed the glass sunroof and tried to remove the gutter, however, I have no tools that can unscrew the 4 screws on the gutter. The metal roof of the car does not allow any clearance. Anyone do any majors fixes on their sunroofs? Ideas? There is something jamming the sunshade from behind, the gutter also rattles...Ideas for fixes?

tech 10-24-2009 10:16 AM

The shade has guides that always go bad. You might have to pull hard on the shade to get it to come loose.

scubatelco 01-14-2010 09:33 PM

part number for guides?

Hi Tech, Do you have the part number for these guides? I have tried a couple of the on-line parts stores and can't find them. My sun shade opens when the window opens but it is off the track.

scubatelco 01-17-2010 09:24 AM

found the part with Vadis

OK I found the part using Vadis but still can't find a seller of this part. Do I have to go to a Volvo dealer to buy? It looks like I need 4 guides if I replace all of them. I want have the parts before I pull the window out.

tech 01-24-2010 09:31 AM

Yes the Dealer only. Unless you try e-mailing FCPgroton.com with the part number and see if they can get them.

But they are pretty cheap from the Dealer as well.

scubatelco 01-31-2010 07:59 PM

job done

Well I finally found a place on line and ordered four giudes. Taking the window out was simple. I didn't need to remove the gutter, just slide it forward to get to the rear guides. Three of the guides were broken so I replaced all four to be safe. Only problem I had was with the acordion black cover and getting the top edge off. I torn both sides, ended up using a little black silicone window caulk to fix them.

tech 01-31-2010 08:23 PM

Glad all is good now.Those acordion covers break alot.

mustang 01-31-2010 08:37 PM

I sure could use some steps on how to tighten sunroofs...a video perhaps?

My sunroof is loose and before I start ripping stuff apart I'm sure there is a good way to tighten these up.

Also the cloth cover on my sunroof door jammed and must come off. I'm sure this will look terrible but i can't see how to remove it without taking off the whole headliner.

Thanks in advance.

tech 01-31-2010 08:43 PM

You remove the sunroof headliner after removing the sunroof glass.
To remove the glass tilt the sunroof up. Then on the sides is the acordian looking plastic.Pull the top part at the glass towards the center of the car. Then you can get to the screws to remove the glass.

Then next you will see a metal bar across the back that stops the sunroof headliner from coming out. The trick to that you will see an arm going from the bar to the side it is held in with one t-25 screw on each side. Remove them and then you can slide the bar up some. Then you will see 2 screws on each side with funny looking washers. Remove those 4 screws. Slide the headliner up some and start working it out as you keep pulling towards the front of the car. I will bet it jammed due to the guides breaking.

jmfreerider@gmail.com 07-07-2010 04:27 PM

Sorry if this is slightly off topic seems like the best place to start asking questions..
Someone or something broke my sunroof, i drove home and now there is tons of glass shards in the ceiling, that i can do, but how hard would an install be to do on my own? also should I get a custom cut piece of glass through like elite or a glass shop, or should i shop salvage? Any thoughts, ideas or suggestions? ANY help is much appreciated.

tech 07-07-2010 08:55 PM

Try to find a used one. It is pretty easy to install.

jmfreerider@gmail.com 07-08-2010 01:58 PM

Thank you very much, When I'm looking through the salvage yards it sometimes includes the T-top, what is this?

jmfreerider@gmail.com 07-09-2010 11:33 AM

Got it all installed yesterday, ran into some slight complications however and now have more work to do today. the glass on the backside does not sit flush with the car, but i think that is due to the jammed or off track in car cover. Any other thoughts as to why the glass is not sitting flush??

tech 07-09-2010 09:34 PM

Did you adjust it correctly?