Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum

Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum (https://volvoforums.com/forum/)
-   Volvo S80 (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-s80-18/)
-   -   Surging feeling on test drive - share you over all opinion (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-s80-18/surging-feeling-test-drive-share-you-over-all-opinion-7071/)

BigSection 08-04-2006 01:31 AM

Surging feeling on test drive - share you over all opinion

Good Evening,
I am about to buy a 2002 S80 T6 and when testing it out it seemed to run strong and smooth, however, when I stepped on it there seemed to be an uneven surging, like the twin turbos weren't in sync or something.

Does this sound familiar? I don't want to step into a vehicle with problems, when I'm in a car with extended warranty currently.

My wife and I love the comfort, safety, & power, I just want to here from some other owners.

Thank you,

S70driver 08-04-2006 03:16 AM

RE: Surging feeling on test drive - share you over all opinion

It could be the ETM ask if ti has been replaced and also if the new software has been installed. This is a Volvo only fix if it hasn't.

Also I am not sure but possibly the twin turbos kick in at different times. Smaller one for lower end a littlr bigger one for upper end power.

2002T6 08-04-2006 05:12 PM

Hey, have 2002 T6, had what sounds like same issue, there's a little spring which controls the turbos wastegates, and it apparently fatigues (mine took a little over 3 years of lead footing), anyway, easily repaired (mine was under warranty) easy to access (on top of engine between the turbo 'Twin Charged' things....my service advisor knew exactly what it was, said happens once in a while...next one could last life of car....other than that, mine had been just about perfect, couple of headlamp bulbs (within half hour of each other 3 + years, so figure good QA on thos as lasted nearly identical time). Get your tranny software updated too, smooths things out more :-D Enjoy, ours has been fun!

gordon368 08-05-2006 01:43 AM

I have an 01 s80 t6, I love it :), it such a comfortable car to drive in....short or long trips

Richard74 08-05-2006 09:53 AM

01 S80 T6. We had a surging to low rpm, which turned out to be a clogged oil box, other than that, good strong safe car. Cd players tend to go out if it the 4 dish in dash. overall, a real joy to own. Up keep for an upscale vehicle is reasonable too.

BigSection 08-05-2006 06:51 PM

Thanks for all your comments, I had done plenty of surfing getting mixed reviews, but I know my father was a big fan of somefo the old Volvos. The minute I sat in this T6 I knew I wanted to bring it home. Yes, there is that top end issue, but I figured I would be an easy fix, especially if it's still under warranty.

I guess my next step is looking at upgrades, I see a comment on a tranny upgrade, what's that do for me. It seems to shift very smooth already.

Does anybody know of any MN non-dealership mechanics for tuning?

2002T6 do you have a pic of what you're talking about or should I just take it to the dealer?

Thanks everyone, I look forward to sharing stories and swapping secrets!