Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum

Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum (https://volvoforums.com/forum/)
-   Volvo S80 (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-s80-18/)
-   -   Surging at idle (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-s80-18/surging-idle-9045/)

worldspeaker 12-09-2006 08:02 PM

Surging at idle

Hi everyone,

I have a 99 S80 with the 2.9 and it has developed a surge at idle. It is fine when cold but once it warms up it surges from approximately 650 to 1200 RPMs. It is a constant rythm with a slight "air escaping" sound coming from the area of the intake. Have checked all hoses and can't find a leak. It is my fiance's car so I am not all that familiar with it's other quirks yet. Any ideas anyone?

Dave

tech 12-09-2006 11:01 PM

RE: Surging at idle

Has it had the ETM recall software?

worldspeaker 12-10-2006 02:23 PM

I believe so. My fiance got the car in 2003 and the original owner said that she had recall work done on the car.

Dave

tech 12-10-2006 10:50 PM

I would Double check with the Dealer the Recall came out last year or early this year.

The Dealer can run the Vin# and tell you if there is a open recall.

worldspeaker 12-11-2006 01:20 PM

I ran the vin number and there is not an open recall for it. Too bad, that might have been a real easy fix. Any other suggestions, I really appreciate your help.

Dave

v70 2.4t 12-11-2006 06:04 PM

ORIGINAL: worldspeaker

I ran the vin number and there is not an open recall for it. Too bad, that might have been a real easy fix. Any other suggestions, I really appreciate your help.

Dave
I would double check, S80's manufactured between 5/11/98 to 8/27/01 are involved in the recall.

V70 2.4t

tech 12-11-2006 09:21 PM

If the software has been done then try to get the check engine light to come on with throttle body codes and they will replace it for free.

Has the check engine light been on?

Has the throttle body been cleaned lately?

worldspeaker 12-21-2006 08:24 PM

I talked to another dealer today and he said there is a recall and they will download the software tomorrow morning (recall 155). Thank you for your info. Hopefully this will take care of that situation.

Another question, do you need any special tools to put struts on the 99 S 80 or is it a fairly easy switchout?

Thank you again for all your help,

Dave

tech 12-21-2006 09:40 PM

You really should have a special wrench to remove the second nut.

BUT a Pipe wrench will work good as well.

You will need a torxes socket as well to hold the center of the strut.

worldspeaker 12-23-2006 01:21 AM

You are a genius! They downloaded the software and it runs great! At the dealer I pulled up next to two other S80's with the same problem. They all almost surged in unison!

They told me the struts are fine but the seats above the struts are broken. Will I need a special tool for that repair?

They also said the top motor mount is broken. I am going to replace that too.

Your help has been amazing.

Dave

tech 12-23-2006 02:07 AM

You can use a pipe wrench and torxes socket to remove the Nut.
You need a spring compressor to compress the spring.