Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum

Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum (https://volvoforums.com/forum/)
-   Volvo S80 (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-s80-18/)
-   -   Suspension bushings??? (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-s80-18/suspension-bushings-8543/)

jdevarie 11-05-2006 10:40 PM

Suspension bushings???

Well, I got my car not long ago. it is a 2001 S89 T6. the car is nice but it has this noise coming from the front passenger side. I can only describe the noise as a thumping every time the tires are over uneven pavement. I took a look underneath and noticed that it is likely the swaybar links are shot this I have no problem replacing myself. I figure they are simple. Unfortunately I also noticed that the bushings (rubber) on the lower control arm look shot as well. I did not raise the vehicle so I do not know for sure but they certainly look shot.
I am thinking about taking a shot at the dealer replacing these under warranty (I doubt it) but anyways, was wondering how hard it would be to replace the ones on the control arms. I have done struts before and links and terminals, you name it but never done control arm stuff.
Any opinions are appreciated.

regards,

Jim

tech 11-08-2006 08:42 PM

RE: Suspension bushings???

You would be better off replacing the entire control arm than replacing the bushings.

jdevarie 11-08-2006 11:27 PM

Thanks for the suggestion Tech. Do you have any idea if they would be easy to find? Are they pricey?

thanks

Jim

tech 11-09-2006 08:36 PM

In the general section is a post links to sites.
Check out some of those sites.
Swedish volvo parts migth carry them.

Royaldutch51 02-15-2007 05:12 AM

There was a problem with the early S80 on the subframe, you have to add to O-rings on the rearend of the subframe

go2sharks 02-21-2007 02:41 PM

ORIGINAL: Royaldutch51

There was a problem with the early S80 on the subframe, you have to add to O-rings on the rearend of the subframe
I saw your posts on this O-rings a couple of times already. My car, even after changing the top strut bushing, it still very rough. I figure there has to be something else causing the rough ride.

Now, you said "add", is this mean the O-rings weren't there? Or do you mean replace? Also, how hard is it to replace yourself? Is an engine host necessary to lift the engine?

tech 02-21-2007 09:45 PM

Yes no o-rings from facrtory.
You can do it with jackstands.

go2sharks 02-21-2007 09:52 PM

ORIGINAL: tech

Yes no o-rings from facrtory.
You can do it with jackstands.
Thanks, what kind of o-rings can be used? Kind, size, and thickness would help. I'll change it when I get to the other bushings and control arm.

tech 02-21-2007 10:35 PM

Be best to get them from the Dealer. They re pretty thick and bigger than a braclet.

go2sharks 02-22-2007 02:54 PM

Okay, I like to replace them. Since it can be bought from a dealer and it wasn't factory installed, not sure if I can get the right parts by just calling them. Can someone please give me a part #(s)?

tech 02-22-2007 09:10 PM

I don't have the Tech-note anymore.
Tell them you need the rear subframe o-rings.
They go between the subframe and the body.

JPizano23 02-27-2007 04:38 PM

I believe this may be what is making all that noise on my S80, so I will have to raise the body off the frame??? However the noise is comming from the front passenger side, there is also a bit of movement when I turn the wheel on my driver side floorboard. Any ideas?

tech 02-28-2007 09:15 PM

ORIGINAL: JPizano23

I believe this may be what is making all that noise on my S80, so I will have to raise the body off the frame??? However the noise is comming from the front passenger side, there is also a bit of movement when I turn the wheel on my driver side floorboard. Any ideas?
Have you checked everything else yet?

go2sharks 03-06-2007 06:39 PM

Tech:

In vadis, it said the engine needs to be lifted for the subframe to be dropped. There are also a bunch of things to be taken off before you can dropped the subframe. Are all those instructions necessary to add this rear subframe O-rings? From the vadis instructions, it doesn't seem like a home do-it-yourself job. Especially the engine needs to be held up so it doesn't rest on the subframe. Also, it shows that the bushings inside the subframe need to be pressed out (is this the same thing that we are talking about here??) If yes, is this something I can do without the hydrolic press, especially lying under the car with jack stands? Sorry about the run-on questions, I just hate to drop everything and find it impossible to replace the bushings or O-rings.

Also, the engine lifter in VADIS, do they sell this on the market? where should I look?

BTW, I'm thinking about doing all my fixes the same time since I'll be having these things taken off. Including: inner tie rod, subframe bushings (O-rings), lower control arms, upper strut bushing, and brake pads.

tech 03-06-2007 09:03 PM

If you are just installing the o-rings then you can drop the back only using a floor jack while the car is on the jackstands.

If you are doing the bushings the same should work. The press might work depending on the type of setup you have.

It would be a TON cheaper to make the engine support then to try to buy one.
If someone sold them it would be like $500.00 or more.