Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum

Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum (https://volvoforums.com/forum/)
-   Volvo S80 (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-s80-18/)
-   -   Taillight Lesson Learned (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-s80-18/taillight-lesson-learned-17404/)

Capo Cam 02-08-2008 10:28 PM

Taillight Lesson Learned

You cannot use the cheap AutoZone " #63 License / Park " bulbs for your taillight bulbs. Well you can but only expect 1-2 days use before they will blow-out on you. When I went to AutoZone in my search for fixing a problem in an earlier post I went to AutoZone and replaced all the bulbs in the rear of the car (taillights, blinkers, stoplights, etc) for both left and right side of my '99 S80. However, as I was driving down one of the main strips around here getting ready to hop on the highway tonight a Cadillac pulls up next to me, rolls down the window, and starts yelling. My first reaction was, okay here's some goofball wanting to toy around or possibly start trouble. I roll down my window and he is yelling to me "Your tailights are out". I kindly said "thank you" and turned around and drove home with the emergency blinkers on. When I had taken my owners manual into AutoZone I showed them that I needed US #1156 bulbs for my brake and backup lights and told them I needed US #67 for the taillights. Well, they looked shocked! They couldn't find any US #67's and began trying to match something up. They then looked up the #67 and told me they were like $21.00 / bulb! That's how I ended up with these US #63 bulbs that lasted 1-2 days! Anyway, just wanted to pass that info along. Looks like I will be buying 4 new #67's (only 2 actually work and one is barely holding on) but I am going to shop around a little first. $21.00 each seems kinda pricy for those little suckers. Please let me know if anyone can lead me to a place to find these bulbs cheaper. I am going to try the Volvo dealer but my guess is they are going to be that if not higher? Thanks for taking the time out of your day to read this post.

- Cameron

gordon368 02-09-2008 10:58 PM

RE: Taillight Lessoned Learned

why not get them from the delearship, I got mine replaced there and it was likeALOT cheaper than 21$, id say around 10$or something and they put them also.

Capo Cam 02-10-2008 12:38 AM

ORIGINAL: gordon368

why not get them from the delearship, I got mine replaced there and it was likeALOT cheaper than 21$, id say around 10$or something and they put them also.
Thanks for the info. I will try the dealer this week. Unfortunately the only local dealer around here parts' department is closed on weekends and I work Monday - Friday almost the exact same hours the dealership opens and closes :( I need to get down there this week and get another relay for the taillights (thanks tech) so I will probably call them Monday to make sure they have the bulbs in stock as well.

Thanks for the response,

Cameron

Capo Cam 02-10-2008 12:42 AM

Have any of you tried this place before? They have the taillight bulbs really inexpensive. A pack of 10 pair is like $4.50? Seems to look like the right specs to from the type ( WAGNER Part # 67
OE TYPE )

Rock Auto: http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/rafr...1418903k319134

nicolaselias 02-10-2008 01:50 AM

Rockauto is a great site, I use them frequently... I dont see why you will need 10 bulbs though but go strong, once its cheaper than the alternatives..
Thing with rockauto is its normally cheaper to order multiple items as shipping is fairly steep per item.. Pooled together its ok but say for just a light bulb, ul find it pretty expensive..

Capo Cam 02-10-2008 02:59 AM

ORIGINAL: nicolaselias

Rockauto is a great site, I use them frequently... I dont see why you will need 10 bulbs though but go strong, once its cheaper than the alternatives..
Thing with rockauto is its normally cheaper to order multiple items as shipping is fairly steep per item.. Pooled together its ok but say for just a light bulb, ul find it pretty expensive..

Thanks, I like the way the site is laid out and they looked reputible. Anyway, right now that is all I need is bulbs and shipping is like $7 so I figured order 10 that way you have plenty of spares anyway...lol..I am planning on putting another $800-1000 into suspension and engine parts within the next two weeks so I may be using them more? We'll have to see how my overkill on taillight bulbs order works out first...lol

master_pre 02-11-2008 08:54 AM

That's strange. [&:] I have used Autozone for the purchasing of all my bulbs and haven't had any issues. I'm sorry it turned out to be such a pain for you. Maybe your car is just "sensitive" and requires the red carpet treatment. :Dlol

jks2 02-11-2008 09:26 AM

I used to blow bulbs fairly quickly on my S60 until the guy at Autozone suggested bulb grease. Best $1.29 I ever spent. I put some on each bulb before I replace and they last alot longer.

Capo Cam 02-12-2008 04:59 PM

Thanks for the info from both of you. Well I was at the Volvo dealer yesterday getting a relay when I asked how much for the taillight bulbs. $3.00 each so bought 4 of those as well. Replaced them all then today I get my order of 14 more bulbs from RockAuto...lmao...I have more bulbs then I expect the life of this car to last! 1 problem. I am still getting the :: bulb failure - position light :: error?? What the hell? I have triple checked all bulbs in front and back and all work fine. Even courtsey lights, dooe lights, etc? Tech mentioned something about possibly silver bases and gold bases mixed could possibly cause this but I've tried all gold and all silver also? I dunno, it's not really that huge of a deal - more of an small annoyance.

master_pre 02-14-2008 12:10 PM

Yeah I would drop by the dealership and have them give it a try. I'm at a loss as to why you'd still have the error if everything is working fine with the bulbs?!?!?!? [:@]