Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum

Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum (https://volvoforums.com/forum/)
-   Volvo S80 (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-s80-18/)
-   -   Tech, can you answer a few ?s? (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-s80-18/tech-can-you-answer-few-s-3835/)

Coastal 12-19-2005 11:20 PM

Tech, can you answer a few ?s?

2000 T6 with 124k.

Timing Marks: The cam sprockets have a notch in them to match the upper timing cover, but how do you locate the crank marks? I see a little thingy on the oil pump housing, but can't tell where the crank pulley mark is. I don't want to pull the damper or the crank pulley off (weakling and no impact tools this week) if I don't have to. Also, is it true that the cam sprockets are "loaded" and under tension?

Emissions light: Codes show fuel trim on bank 1 is maxed out (due to lean condition) for short and long term. Generic code P0171 and Manufacture code P1171. No apparent leaks in the intake side or PCV. Replaced MAF and no change to fuel trim (bank 2 looks good: +/-2% on short and long is around .8%. Replaced bank 1 front oxygen sensor and it didn't change the trim, either. Is there something else that can make the A/F show lean? I also continuity checked the wiring harness to the PCM/fuse box (heater circuit) and all 6 are good.

I'm stumped on both of these, can you help? The timing question is because I want to make sure I didn't jump a cog.

TIA

tech 12-19-2005 11:52 PM

RE: Tech, can you answer a few ?s?

The crank mark is hard to see. It will be on the outside part of the belt by the pulley for the timing.
Yes it should be loaded as long as you have VVT. But just try to hold it after you take the belt off.
It shouldn't move that far if it slips.

For the Codes you need to figure out some way to pressurize the intake system and check for leaks.
Make 100% sure all the vaccum lines are good. Also make sure non of the plastic tubes are cracked.

Coastal 12-20-2005 12:07 AM

Tech, thanks for the quick response! I did the induction test for leaks last week (used an air horn snout at the flex hose at the MAF. Thought I'd found the leak at the intake manifold, so I took it off and replaced with a new IM gasket (cleaned the TB and PCV nipple since it was open). Closed it up and retested at 10psi (a little high probably) and no hissing or pressure drop with oil cap in place. Cleared adaptives and codes and road tested. Codes appeared again after 2nd start. Checked fuel trims and it was still doing the same thing (system lean and PCM dumping fuel to compensate). I pressurized the exhaust by dropping the pipe after the cats. I wasn't able to check for a pressure drop, but I didn't hear any leaks, though. Once I verify the timing is good, I'll look into the turbine and exhaust flange connections.

I found the little lip on the outer rim of the pulley. Now, is that mark supposed to be TDC, because it isn't anywhere near it? I pulled a compression earlier and it ran 170-180 across the board... I'm not comfortable with that crank mark, it should line up with the mark on the crankcase (oil pump hsg), right?

VVT on exhaust, haven't removed belt.

Coastal 12-20-2005 12:10 AM

Tech, I applied light epoxy to the MAP/IAT and the PCV return casting on the plastic piping because they looked a little suspect. But they tested good under pressure.

tech 12-20-2005 12:22 AM

Yes check the Exhaust flanges good I have had them leak before and throw codes.

For the timing line up the top marks and search really good for it on the crank. It is really hard to see with the pulley still on. It is a pain.But it is there.

Hopefully I help you some.

Coastal 12-20-2005 10:06 AM

Tech, I lined up the marks to their respective positions. Are these marks supposed to be line up the engine at TDC or just some "ageeable" position for working on it? Thanks for all your advice and help!

auburnvolvo 12-20-2005 12:32 PM

I have an '01 S80 that the dealer replaced the tensioner pully and had accidently knocked the timing off a few ticks. The tech or the service manager could understand how it happened. All sort of codes were launched one of them was related to fuel delivery. It took them an extra day to get everything fixed. This is all I know but it sounds very close to what you describe. Goodluck

Coastal 12-20-2005 02:46 PM

Thanks Auburnvolvo! Everything was lined up correctly with the cams and crank at their marks. I just wanted to rule out the timing having jumped. I pulled the front turbo and exhaust manifold off this morning. There are three identical gaskets for each port. The gasket on cylinder 1 had developed a flex crack and eventually blew out the gasket (only about the size of a human hair). And I think that's what has allowed a vacuum to effect the AF ratio. HOWEVER, I'm not sure I want to crank the car once I get it put back together. I'm used to timing marks indicating TOP DEAD CENTER on the compression stroke. But, these marks don't reflect TDC. Does anyone know for sure that the marks indicate TDC or some position chosen by Volvo? It's sad to see her setting up this week... Thanks for the input and this is a really great site with a lot of help and information. Once I get over this hurdle, I'll be back to offer my 2 cents worth to help anyone I can.

tech 12-20-2005 08:49 PM

Yes they indicate TDC.

Coastal 12-20-2005 09:12 PM

Then, I'm really baffled!!! With the marks lined up, I have to rotate the crank 48 degrees before the piston on #1 is at TDC. What am I missing?

tech 12-20-2005 09:28 PM

Not really sure without being there and seeing it. SORRY:(

Coastal 12-21-2005 10:11 AM

So, is there a keyway to hold the crank pulley from rotating on the crankshaft? It's just too strange that, other than the fuel trim codes, the car ran smooth given that the timing was retarded 48 degrees. Are those compression numbers normal for the S80 (170-180psi)? TIA

Coastal 12-21-2005 11:00 AM

Got it figured out. Thanks for the comments!

tech 12-21-2005 09:25 PM

Keep me posted on how it goes.

Coastal 01-01-2006 12:25 PM

Happy New Year to you all!

A little follow up to my problem. The timing was spot on. The exhaust flanges/gaskets were replaced. And I now have four new oxygen sensors. I still get the same codes and problem. Summary: (ECM261 and 262 codes) or OBD codes P1171 and P0171; changed MAF and oxygen sensors after verifying that I don't have an intake or exhaust leak; new PCV oil trap and new hoses; PCV nipple cleaned; new TB gasket, intake and exhaust gaskets; oxygen sensors torqued to 45 Nm; fuel injectors pulled and cleaned and balanced; running fuel pressure is in specs. So, what does that leave? The wiring harness from the oxygen sensor connector to the power supply and the PCM and the PCM itself. Has anyone had a problem with the wiring harness being bad? I thought that an error code would show up for an O2 sensor if there was a problem in the wiring (short circuit, open, etc) of the signal path. Any thoughts are help to finally get this fixed? I know if I give up now, I'll really feel embarassed if I take it to the dealer and they fix it in a hour... Thanks for all the input and help! Tech did you get my PM awhile back?

tech 01-02-2006 12:23 AM

I will try to get you all the info I can tomorrow on those codes.

Yes I got the PM and replyed you never got it?

Coastal 01-02-2006 10:19 AM

Thanks again, Tech! No, I got the delivery notice that it was read, tho.

Hey, I was checking the resistance for each O2 sensor connector (fronts) to compare them. The good bank (2) had only one connector that had a 0.00 ohm reading when checking for continuity to ground, while the problem bank (1) had four with non-infinite readings. I know there's something amiss there, but I'm not where I need to be with respect to electrical troubleshooting.

I look for any information that you can add. I can hardly wait to know what causes the harness/PCM to stray from normal.

tech 01-02-2006 08:57 PM

I didn't get to look it up today but I will tomorrow. Was busy from sun up to sun down.

tech 01-03-2006 09:57 PM

Both codes have the same fault tracing.
Possible source

Upper limit
Intake leak
Exhaust leak
Low fuel pressure
Bad O2 sensor

Lower limit
Intake leak
High fuel pressure
Leaking injectors
Bad Mass flow
Contaminated oil
Oil level to high
Bad O2 sensor.

That is what the computer told me about the codes.

Coastal 01-04-2006 01:52 PM

Yep, I followed through with those traces (mine is upper limit--idle range and light load). VIDA/VADIS doesn't mention anything about possible bad wiring harness to the oxygen sensors, does it? I have different resistances between the two harnesses as mentioned above, but I'm not sure what they're pointing to. How many $$ to replace the harness or is it a cut a splice kit that Volvo will do?