Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum

Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum (https://volvoforums.com/forum/)
-   Volvo S80 (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-s80-18/)
-   -   Thank you for the T-belt warning! (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-s80-18/thank-you-t-belt-warning-28589/)

Xkontour98 03-18-2009 09:20 AM

Thank you for the T-belt warning!

I am fairly new to the boards and just picked up a 99 T6 with 107,000 miles on the clock. I am so thankful for this forum and its members, had I not ran across Tech’s warning about changing the T-belt I would be looking for a new engine.

I’m going to pick my car up from the mechanic tonight. I decided to let the car sit 3 weeks until I could get it in to have the belt replaced and I am glad that I did! My mechanic said this was the worst condition he has ever seen a timing belt and was surprised that it hadn’t snapped! I originally figured I had some time before actually needing to replace the belt until I ran across the warning stickied a the top of the forum. It was so hard to resist the urge to drive it. Volvo should really reconsider their stated change intervals for these belts. I’ll try and post of picture of the belt when I get it back.

Thanks for saving my engine Tech!

For those of you anywhere near the 100K mark, get your belt changed asap!

tech 03-18-2009 07:28 PM

Glad all is well!!!

Xkontour98 03-18-2009 10:57 PM

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...h_DSC00910.jpg

(click on pic for larger image)

Here is a pic of te T-belt w/107K Whew!

tech 03-20-2009 06:44 PM

You are very lucky!!!!

Xkontour98 03-24-2009 10:28 AM

Yes I am! I wouldn't have been, had you not posted the warning!

tech 03-24-2009 07:31 PM

Glad all is well now!

Johnny Mullet 03-24-2009 10:02 PM

Man, that belt was spent! Good thing you caught it in time.

volvox2 07-06-2009 09:50 PM

Old thread but I cant resist.
That belt pictured looks BRAND NEW
My wifes 01 s80 2.9 belt gave up and destroyed the valvetrain at 83k, still under after market warr.
My daughters 01 s40 was at about 80k, I took it in figuring that since we were going to keep it for a couple more years, I was going to buy one change anyway, so why risk waiting til 90 or 100k?
Well the machanic (and we know these guys, my wife has taught both their kids second grade) he called and said he WAS GOING TO PUSH IT IN THE SHOP IT LOOKED SO BAD.
He was afraid to start it. lol
it was frayed, with threads sticking up and pieces (tiny chunks missing) wish I had a picture.
Anyway I figure about 70 is good mileage to do this. We are in tx where it is 105 sometimes, but then again rubber type stuff suffers from freezing, and particularly being flexed while very cold, so who knows??

gordon368 07-07-2009 03:31 AM

my belt is closing in on 103k~ ..... I wanna do this job myself but this would be my first time... If it breaks before 105k then my warranty will cover it.. Once it passes the 105k mark I will prob look into doing the job myself lol...

fcpgroton 07-07-2009 07:14 AM

Wow! I'm glad you got that taken care of. A timing belt snapping could be a very very bad thing.

I just searched on our website and every timing belt I see is under $30.. and thats before the VolvoForums coupon code for 10% off! This is really worth the money.

wildbill 07-25-2009 11:50 PM

Avg cost to replace T-belt? How tough to do at home?

I'm moderately handy with cars and have an S80 T6 with an engine swapped from another car. The newest engine has about 100k on it so I am thinking about the tbelt replacement.

Do you guys have avg cost to get this fixed at an independant volvo house?

How tough is it to replace at home? I know my daughter's Mazda 626 was a nitemare, since the engine had to be lifted up to get to the crank pulley bolt and it was torqued to 250ftlbs ! Had to bail and have it towed to a local shop to finish the job. $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Does anyone have any short docs (hopefully with pics) that show how to replace the tbelt on an s80 T6 2001???????

gordon368 07-26-2009 08:30 PM

my car knowledge is still growing, but with the timing belt cover off, are you able to see/judge what the belt is like? I did my spark plugs recently and the timing belt cover I took off... It didnt have any cracks or pits in it... Or can those be only seen when the belt is bent like that?