Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum

Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum (https://volvoforums.com/forum/)
-   Volvo S80 (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-s80-18/)
-   -   Thermostat/Coolant (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-s80-18/thermostat-coolant-15114/)

master_pre 11-14-2007 06:00 PM

Thermostat/Coolant

I have a 2000 S80 that just had the thermostat replaced. I just asked my service department when the last time a coolant flush was done, and they weren't able to specifically identify the last time it was done. I was told by the advisor that Volvo doesn't have a recommended interval for changing the coolant out, so here are my questions. One more note is that there haven't been any issues with the system and I just had the car in last week for a timing belt change which is when the thermostat was done. I'm assuming that they got a good look at the coolant during that work and would've recommended a flush if it needed one.

1) What do you guys recommend for the coolant flush interval?

2) When they changed my thermostat, would that mean they would have to replace the fluid?

3) Can I take my Volvo to a Firestone and let them do the flush, or should I take it to a dealership only? The service advisor told me that they just use standard Prestone, so it shouldn't matter right?

tech 11-14-2007 07:14 PM

RE: Thermostat/Coolant

I would say thet you should change it every 30k miles.
Yes they would have had to replace the coolant when doing the thermostat.

master_pre 11-14-2007 07:20 PM

Thanks tech. I was pretty sure they would've had to change the fluid during the thermostat replacement. (Undoubtedly you remember my other post about the timing belt! :D) I just like to make sure all my fluids get changed often enough.

So with the new fluid I should be good for another 30,000 right?

Can I inspect the fluid from time to time to see if it needs changing?

And just to double check, there is no way they can change the thermostat without changing the fluid right?

Thanks for the help tech, you're the best! :)

tech 11-14-2007 07:27 PM

Yes good for another 30K.
When you remove the thermosta you loose quite a bit of coolant they would have had to replace it.

master_pre 11-14-2007 07:33 PM

Thanks again tech. You've saved me so much time and effort I can't even begin to tell you! hahah :)

How about checking the coolant? Are there signs I can look for to indicate it should be changed out?

tripleb 11-14-2007 09:49 PM

Ideally it needs to be checked with a hydrometer. I think you can pick one up for fairly cheap at a auto parts store or Sears.

You can channge a thermostat without changing the coolant. Some will come out, but not nearly all of it.

tech 11-15-2007 08:00 PM

ORIGINAL: tripleb

Ideally it needs to be checked with a hydrometer. I think you can pick one up for fairly cheap at a auto parts store or Sears.

+1

master_pre 11-15-2007 09:10 PM

ORIGINAL: tech

ORIGINAL: tripleb

+1
Thanks for the info guys. I ended up just taking it to the dealership today and getting a coolant flush. It was easier to do that then debate the state of my coolant. The bottom line is I had no record of when the past owner may have done it last, and at $120 it wasn't to expensive either. They charged me an hours labor for the job and $20 in coolant. hahah You've gotta love the dealerships.