Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum

Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum (https://volvoforums.com/forum/)
-   Volvo S80 (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-s80-18/)
-   -   Thinking Of Buying 1999-2000 S80, have an acura TL but love Volvo (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-s80-18/thinking-buying-1999-2000-s80-have-acura-tl-but-love-volvo-16214/)

mrme 12-25-2007 07:23 PM

Thinking Of Buying 1999-2000 S80, have an acura TL but love Volvo

Hi, I have a 1999 Acura TL , and I am planning to buy a Volvo s80. My brother just got a 2008 s40 and I like volvo since then. But I did not hear good things about s80 especially 1999 and 2000 years. How would you recommend it, transmission, ABS, other engine issues? I just found a 2000 s80 110K for $4500, and 1999 s80 t6 same mileage same price.
What are the common issues that I need to check, thank you.
Any recommendation is appreciated.

master_pre 12-25-2007 07:54 PM

RE: Thinking Of Buying 1999-2000 S80, have an acura TL but love Volvo

I have a 2000 S80 with 62,000 miles on it. I've heard a lot of feedback on this model, most of which is not good. My experience with our S80 has been great! With the mileage on the cars you are looking at you will want to ask if the timing belt, tensioner & idler pulley have been replaced yet. If it hasn't been done (which would be scary) then that will run you anywhere from $700-$950 at your dealership, depending on what they charge for labor and parts. You will want to make sure that the ETM and ABS systems are in good working order, and that the software updates have been accomplished for your car.

The transmissions run well as long as they've been maintained, so I would ask if they've had any issues and when the last time they've had a tranny oil flush done on the car. The engines run well and have great life, but you can get nickeled and dimed to death with these cars.

It really depends on the condition of the car, maintenance history and whether you're willing to take on a vehicle that can get expensive to fix. If you're ok with that, and the car is in good running order than I wouldn't have a problem with purchasing either of those cars. I just spent around $1500 getting my timing belt, idler pulley and tensioner replaced. They also replaced my PCV as it was causing a slight oil leak, the front engine mount was cracked so that was replaced and I got a full coolant flush and the serpentine belt replaced also. This is the kind of maintenance to expect if you aren't willing to do the work yourself, I'm not mechanically smart enough to do it myself.! ;) Granted this stuff only comes up about every 7 years, but it's still stuff you want to consider.

One last tip, I have the non-turbo engine for a reason, having a turbo just means there is more potential for things to go wrong. That's my logic, others will disagree! :D

mrme 12-26-2007 11:52 AM

thanks for th information. I had similar maintanenace on my TL when I bougt it at 180K. Timing belt, engine mounts ...What is the ETM, is it some kind of traction control system or?

master_pre 01-04-2008 11:47 AM

The ETM is the Electronic Throttle Module. They have been known to cause some issues from time to time, I personally haven't had any problems with my ETM except for the software upgrade. Beyond that it and the car has been running great. I'm glad I could be of help, let me know if you have any other questions! :D