Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum

Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum (https://volvoforums.com/forum/)
-   Volvo S80 (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-s80-18/)
-   -   Thinking of buying a S80, T6 or 2.9? (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-s80-18/thinking-buying-s80-t6-2-9-a-28882/)

huzzsaba 03-27-2009 01:15 AM

Thinking of buying a S80, T6 or 2.9?

what I need help with is deciding between the T6 and the 2.9 non turbo model. My budget will probably only allow me to get one as new as a 2001 model, 2002 if im lucky.

My choice would be basically on whichever model will give less problems. I know all older cars have problems but between the T6 and the 2.9, which has less known problems?

About the T6, I have read that the transmissions dont do very well. Is this true or is it just due to lack of maintanance?

I have also read that the 2.9 has a GM transmission that is also not very reliable. Or do the T6 and 2.9 use the same transmission?

I am mechanically inclined. I currently own a 855 turbo and do all the repair/maintainance work myself. It has never been to shop for anything, and runs pretty good.

If there is no major differences in known problems between the T6 and the 2.9, I would obviously go for the T6 as long as the turbo system is generally problem free.

Again, I am concerned about major known problems, not maintainace stuff.
Please advise me towards the best choice.

Thanks

nicolaselias 03-27-2009 02:49 AM

The advice that I can give to you, and i'm sure everyone on the forum will agree.. go for a 2002 model or newer.. the reliability only got better as the years went by and its agreed that 02+ are the safe models..

Now, for the t6 vs 2.9, i don't think either tranny is less reliable than the other, once you maintain it properly all you can do is sit and hope.. I may need someone else to back me up on this, but if I am right, the 2.9 comes with a 4spd GM, whereas the t6 comes with the geartronic Aisin-Warner..
I personally own the 2.9 but many times i regret not having the t6. That extra ~70 horsepower will make the world of difference, also makes it much easier to extract extra power by working on the turbos. If you can get a 02+ t6 within your price range, I will go for it.

In terms of features and maintenance cost, the 2.9 and t6 are almost identical except that the t6 tends to have the the dynamic stability and traction control, a better sound system, fog lights as stock, headlight wipers, and not much else (besides power of course)Even the fuel economy is only negligibly less on the t6 . Cost, the only real difference is the turbos and so long as you have no problems with them, there will be no additional cost in running the car..

I hope all of this helps, best of luck

huzzsaba 03-27-2009 06:03 AM

Thanks! Thats exactly the info that I was looking for!

I guess 02+ T6 should be the way to go.

huzzsaba 03-27-2009 07:09 AM

lol after searching for a while, I have only found a few 2002 and they are way out of the price range. If I were to look for a 2000, or 2001, model, what sort of reliability issues am I looking to deal with that would have probably been improved after 2002?

Thanks again!

andrei3333 03-27-2009 05:45 PM

i own a 99 T6, burns oil pretty good..., the 2.9 will not burn that much oil, the T6 tranny is still a GM but with a geartronic,

the later the year the better, i never drove the 2.9 but for a heavy volvo (3500 lbs or so) the extra power probably will be really noticeble. t6 adds fake wood interior and a cd changer in the trunk i think with a 9 speaker system in addition to what nicolaselias said...

since i did not drive the 2.9 its hard to say which one is more reliable, i have not had any turbo related problems yet and tranny is fine so far, i hope its gona last

check the brochures that are located here they may help
http://www.volvoclub.org.uk/80brochures.shtml

nicolaselias 03-27-2009 06:05 PM

Well andrei, it depends.. So far as I can tell, the woodgrain finish is on all s80's.. dont think it depends on t6 or not cause every one I have seen has it..

Re, the cd changer.. I have a 2.9 with the "lower" end radio HU-611 but it manages to have a 10 disc changer in the trunk, but coupled to the 8 piece speaker system, not the 9.

andrei3333 03-27-2009 06:54 PM

haha i have seen many s80's for sale here with a gray plastic interior instead of the wood grain, my 9 speaker system does NOT have a CD changer and my headunit is also the HU-611

LOL

ok i guess everything was optional on these cars, and maybe that has to do with US / Canada imports maybe ?

nicolaselias 03-27-2009 07:17 PM

you know andrei, that the 611 cant actually support 9 speakers as stock right..
I believe that the hu-801 had an amp under the seat to power the 8 piece and power for the centre channel or 9th came from the HU.. what you may be surprised to find is, if you took off that grille on the dash, there will be nothing under it (as i rudely discovered).
If you look at a picture of the hu-801 vs the hu-611 you will find that the 801 has a volume control specifically for the centre channel speaker.

About by 10 disc, i didnt actually know I had it when i first bought the car.. only the day after i found it when playing around in the trunk, was hidden behind the trunk side panels just next to the left rear light.
Maybe my 2.9 came with more options than i thought..

andrei3333 03-27-2009 07:48 PM

really ?? haha volvo was too cheap to make a fullly covered up dash, instead choosing to put a fake grille on the center ? lol

this takes the cake...

you dont really need a center channel in a car anyways, + my "8" speaker and those 9 speaker sound systems would emulate the extra channels anyways

oh well, thats why i dont have a cd changer i guess, but is it possible for me to get a cd changer from a junkyard off of another s80 and plug it in ? i did not see any obvious wires in the spot where the cd changer is usually installed, just the regular bundle of cable running to the rear computer and lights

jmallie 03-27-2009 08:01 PM

I have a 2002 T6 with 92k. The transmission is holding up, but I did change the fluid twice and the filter once. I had to replace the struts/shocks at about 82k (I planned to add IPD sway bars and links to go with my Koni FSDs, but contray to the noise on most forums my end links are original and functioning so I am waiting). Overall, it is not a bad car if you can do brakes & maintence yourself (my Volvo dealer is good but$$$). Around 100k I expect to spend some $ and time (timing belt, PVC system etc) or $$ with dealer. I like it and plan to keep it. I say go for a T6, just 2002 +.

nicolaselias 03-27-2009 09:31 PM

jmallie.. just some advice, take a look at the timing belt now and see its condition and dont risk waiting until 100,000.. if it appears ok, then wait but dont chance it if you havent already inspected.

Sorry to stray from the original topic, but back to it, I cant really say whats more reliable about 02+, just going on what people who have pre 02 said.

andrei3333 03-27-2009 10:08 PM

ok well lets make this a little more scientific

time owned: 4 months
serious problems: 2 coils replaced, 2 oxygen sensors replaced
maintenance: oil change, spark plug change, fuel injector cleaner (ok last one doesnt count)
Issues: oil burning, but thats about it ( aside from small interior quirks)
T6 uses 6.9 Litres of oil, and that gets to be expensive if you are using synthetic, which is what you should be using on this car, along with premium fuel ( i am pretty sure the 2.9 also uses premium though), fuel mileage keeps getting better especially since i changed the plugs, last tank i got 575 KM on it, that was before the plug change, right now im at about a half tank with 340 KM on...

MarkMBos 04-05-2009 07:45 AM

I have a '99 S80 2.9 that was purchased used with only about 20K miles on it. There was a lot of bad press about this model year. After working through some kinks, the car has performed well for the last five years.

My car had the dreaded ABS module failure issue that caused all sorts of electronics problems. That was fixed by sending the module in for repair, which cost ~$80. Spark plug ignition modules have needed to be replaced. And the front wheel bearings were also fixed.

My Volvo's transmission seems to be very reliable. Nothing has been done to it.

Almost all the fixes were done in 2003-2004. Since then, everything has been fine, and the car has been great to drive.