Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum

Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum (https://volvoforums.com/forum/)
-   Volvo S80 (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-s80-18/)
-   -   Throttle Body - ETM (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-s80-18/throttle-body-etm-5974/)

jerryman 05-25-2006 01:17 PM

Throttle Body - ETM

unlike other cars, is the throttle body all electric and connected to the ETM? My car now is getting worse. At first, about a week ago, under full power ran fine, then about 5 days ago, only surged once when stepping on it. Would speed up and around 4200rpm surge down a bit, then regain full power. Now it feels like I am letting off the gas then hittting the gas again. Punch it, power comes up, then surges down, then up, then down, then up , then down. Not completly a lack of power when it surges down, but roller-costers and only at full throttle.

I am afraid to take it to the dealer. Everytime I do even with warranty it's a 1000 bucks. I am still trying to get the ABS module done, which is covered under my extened warranty, but know they will always find more problems.

This is by far the worse car I have ever owned. Get one thing fixed another thing happens. Volvo should be ashamed of the quality of this year and model.

I hope, once I get most of the items fixed, I will change my mind...

tech 05-25-2006 08:46 PM

RE: Throttle Body - ETM

Yes they are connected.
But sounds like the ETM is bad. That will be covered under Volvo Factory Warranty if it is. 10 Years 200,000 miles.

hank 11-12-2007 10:15 AM

I am sitting in Darrell Waltrip Volvo (Franklin, TN) right now- with the exact same symptoms (throttle body module / ECM issues). I am at 197,350 miles, JUST under the 10year/200000mile warranty - the rep said it would all be covered under warranty! I'll post again if the story changes. The key for me was finding a dealership where the service department doesn't look down on people who would prefer to do their own work and only come to the dealership as a last resource. Darrell Waltrip Volvo has treated me very well.

quebec#1 11-12-2007 03:18 PM

I have a 2000 s80 with the same problems, im at 160,000km or 100,000 miles . The problem has been driving me crazy and im also scared to go to the dealer. I first had the plugs changed and gas filter and injectors cleaned but it didnt help. Ive since driven about 3000 km's with the hesitation problem, at first it was only apparent at 100 km or 60mph now it does it at all speeds. Sometimes i could drive 60 miles without any problems and then all of a sudden the problem comes back.
would my volvo also be covered under warranty ? Im up in Canada.
I also looked at the previous owners warranty work about 60,000 km's ago and he had some sort of software upgrade done for the same type of symptoms.

master_pre 11-12-2007 03:54 PM

Yeah, I've got a 2000 S80 that had idling issues that were completely resolved by the software update to the ETM. I would recommend getting your car into the dealer to have them diagnose the issue. If it's the ETM it will be fully covered, and if it only needs to be cleaned that won't cost you much. Most shops will diagnose for free.

quebec#1 11-12-2007 05:41 PM

Mine idles fine ! its the hesitation at different speeds.

master_pre 11-13-2007 10:02 AM

Idels fine. hmmmmm..........I would think it's the ETM then.

quebec#1 11-13-2007 10:48 AM

I thought the volvo warranty was only 5 years /60,000miles ?

T6 4 me 11-13-2007 01:43 PM

I just got back from the dealer regarding the surging on mine. The mechanic said he couldn't duplicate the problem when he took it out. The manager said that Volvo Canada WILL NOT PAY FOR THE REPAIR UNLESS IT THROWS A CODE!! They told me to drop in when it is acting up and take the mechanic out, but what is the sense.

Does anyone know the price of the repair if you pay for it yourself?

master_pre 11-13-2007 03:44 PM

I belive it's around $600-$700 to replace the ETM. Did you have them take a look at the throttle body to see if it's dirty? I'd recommend getting that cleaned out before replacing anything.

EuroDriverSD 11-13-2007 05:20 PM

I have an urgent question and a glimmer of hope someone may tell my my problem is the ETM. I have spent around $5,000 on my 99 S80 T6, which includes an engine replacement due to a burned valve. The ETM software has been upgraded. Lately, it began idling rough, which was eventually followed by the check engine light coming on and the "emissions system service required" message. Car runs fine, other than a rough idle. Every time, I would find spark plugs 1-3 were fuel-fouled. Generic trouble codes indicated air/fuel metering, random/multiple cylinder misfire, O2 sensor (no activity in bank 1) andlarge leak in fuel evaporative system. So far, it had been a bad coil pack every time, and all codes remained cleared until the next coil pack went. However, this last time I replaced all the coil packs and the problem persists. Dealer tells me it might be the ETM, but I have gone down this path with them before, and it always turns out to be something else and a few hundred bucks. I have an appointment tomorrow for yet another diagnositc, which I really can;t afford at this time. Does this sound like it's the ETM? thanks for your input.

quebec#1 11-13-2007 05:44 PM

ORIGINAL: T6 4 me

I just got back from the dealer regarding the surging on mine. The mechanic said he couldn't duplicate the problem when he took it out. The manager said that Volvo Canada WILL NOT PAY FOR THE REPAIR UNLESS IT THROWS A CODE!! They told me to drop in when it is acting up and take the mechanic out, but what is the sense.

Does anyone know the price of the repair if you pay for it yourself?

When mine started acting up i brought it to a normal garage (non volvo) and it ran fine. Mine could act up for a whole 300 km trip or run great for 90 km or so..

T6 4 me 11-16-2007 04:34 PM

I just threw a new set of spark plugs in mine and it has helped it a bit. The surging is still there but it is very slight and the car is way smoother.

quebec#1 04-16-2008 09:12 PM

Just had myetm replaced for free yeaterday ! For Free ! I suffered the whole winter nd was ready to dump over $1000 +++ but found out it was a free under the 300000 km 10 year deal. Runs like new again...